FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · When to blog?

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When to blog?

We typically post a few preview photos immediately after the wedding. After that, we wait to post the blog until we have the couple in to see their images and such...which is usually 3-5 weeks later. I have been considering pushing the blog up to do it sooner after the wedding. Part of the reason I have not been doing it that way is that I feel one or two strong photos posted at intervals have more impact that 30+ images. So, I am considering doing the preview photos as I do and then post the blog about 1 week after.

Thoughts?

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When to blog?

I've thought about doing a blog post/FB gallery of the top 20-30 images from the event, and then sending the gallery once it was finished, whenever that is.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When to blog?

I think there's two schools of thought here and both can work well if they're applied correctly.

1. Blog as soon as possible to capture the excitement and attention while it's on people's minds. This seems to get the most views and comments from family and friends.

2. Blog once people can purchase things. Then they can spend money as soon as they see the photos. The could potentially be more lucrative but loses the immediacy.

We've always done #1, but I've been tempted by the idea of #2 before.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When to blog?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I think there's two schools of thought here and both can work well if they're applied correctly.

1. Blog as soon as possible to capture the excitement and attention while it's on people's minds. This seems to get the most views and comments from family and friends.

2. Blog once people can purchase things. Then they can spend money as soon as they see the photos. The could potentially be more lucrative but loses the immediacy.

We have gone for number 2...because we started to feel like when people had the "experience" of seeing their images earlier, they got over the initial wow response and we less likely to spend more. As much as I love the "likes" early on, I would rather have the sales a bit later. I have even thought about doing a mixture...like a 10 image blog post or something to try and get some of both worlds.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When to blog?

Tony Hoffer wrote:

We recently switched over to hybrid of both. We found that when we posted a lot of great pics right after the wedding our clients absolutely loved it (and it was great for generating new leads)!! The problem is that a lot of their excitement wore off 3-6 weeks later when they came for their viewing/purchasing session….. because they had already seen the pictures. This in turn hurt our post wedding sales because people buy a lot more when they are excited and emotional. We are now going to just post a handful of images for the sneak peak and then post the rest after viewing. I think this is the best of the both world.

Nov 12, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When to blog?

I've been doing a one photo Facebook preview, and then a blog (for my most prestigious weddings). I'm not as concerned with selling on the back-end as I am with getting the attention of future clientele through those channels. I want that initial energy and attention of them seeing their photos for the first time reflected back onto me. I do most of my album sales at the inquiry, and print sales through their gallery (both of which are up even though I'm shooting less). That said, I consider what I do 90% service based, and I don't put much effort into a back-end selling cycle... just a personal preference, and subject to change.

Nov 12, 2013 at 03:35 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When to blog?

I can see advantages to doing both but we post the ladder (post an image or two on Facebook and then our favorites about 8 weeks later). I'm sure our clients would love to seem their images sooner than later but we are just so backlogged. I plan on changing that and bringing the gap down to half the amount of time but IDK... I don't think we would booked any more or less if we got them the images a week or two after the wedding. *shrug*

Keith

Nov 12, 2013 at 05:44 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When to blog?

I plan to step up my blogging game once I have my new site in place.

I have fell away from my personal blog something silly with Facebook and other social media sites taking its place.

I want the blog to have relatively frequent posts but I won't rush to get anything on there quick after shooting.

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When to blog?

I typically finish my weddings in a few days.

I go live with a blog post in the early morning. Then later that morning (when everyone is getting settled at their computers), I upload some teasers to Facebook with a "Go see some more images on our blog!" link in the "about" area of the image. That seems to drive a little traffic.

People love to get tagged as they feel proud and beautiful/attractive/special. And I always want my clients to feel like that, because to me - they are.

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.