New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Mobile hotspot devices

MRM4
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mobile hotspot devices

Anyone on here use a mobile hotspot device and plan? I don't need anything with a huge amount of data, just something reliable and inexpensive (both device and plan). There are a bunch of these out there, but I don't know which ones are the better ones.

Nov 12, 2013 at 09:01 AM
iazybandit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mobile hotspot devices

Go to your local Best Buy or carrier. Just know that you'll have to sign up for a 2-yr contract.

Me personally, I use my phone. I'm on an unlimited data plan and turn my Samsung Galaxy S3 into a hotspot using PDAnet or FoxFi. No rooting. If you have iPhone, I'm sure there is something for it but will definitely require you to jailbreak your phone. But ultimately, it depends on how much data you have on your cell phone plan. May be cheaper to upgrade the data.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM
MRM4
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mobile hotspot devices

I have a Galaxy S3, but I only have 1GB of shared data. I could get more added to it. Had Sprint had the deal they have now when I upgraded 6 months ago, I might have switched to them with the unlimited data. But I see these mobile hot spots with plans that a person can buy. I didn't know if any of them are worth getting.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mobile hotspot devices

I just use mobile hotspot on my iPhone. I use it almost exclusively to tether my iPad to my phone when out and about. No need for a cellular tablet then.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mobile hotspot devices

I used mobile hotspot on my phone too but it was slow and often dropped the signal if I was moving. When I switched to Verizon I bought a JetPack and it works flawlessly. It very easy to use and it's very fast. The cost is $20/mo and it shares data with my phone plan.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mobile hotspot devices

I use verizon 4g hotspot device with 40gb as my primary internet source and I'm on it constantly. Walmart has a cheap setup as does cricket.

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:23 AM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mobile hotspot devices

MRM4 wrote:
I have a Galaxy S3, but I only have 1GB of shared data. I could get more added to it. Had Sprint had the deal they have now when I upgraded 6 months ago, I might have switched to them with the unlimited data. But I see these mobile hot spots with plans that a person can buy. I didn't know if any of them are worth getting.

Those individual mobile hot spots are good if you're constantly on the go and need internet. They all practically do the same thing. Its a matter of plan and how much you're willing to spend. Only you can answer that yourself.

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:42 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.