Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sports Video AF

matt.garnett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sports Video AF

I know that 99.99% of cinematography is done with manual focus. Before ai-servo, FD lenses were all manual focus. My question is what is the industry norm now for sports broadcast? I'm working with my school to buy a professional dedicated video camera for shooting sports specifically and this is a question that I am having trouble getting answered. I don't see how the videographer can zoom and focus at the same time. If they are using autofocus, what would be the video equivalent of ai-servo?

Sorry if these are really basic questions. I can't seem to find any quality resources on sports videography.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sports Video AF

Matt,
There is a website called Cinema 5D that may help out. Most professional level, tv broadcast cameras have either autofocus, or the operator will focus with one hand and zoom with the hand holding the camera. With DSLR's, at college football games at least, I see quite a bit of rail rigs and follow focus knobs.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sports Video AF

I can pan, zoom, focus and play the harmonica with one of these on my tripod handle....

http://www.varizoom.com/product-p/vzrockpzfi.htm

......but autofocus is really good for many situations, particularly if you are shooting tight. For football, good luck.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sports Video AF

Alright thanks for the responses. I'll stay on the hunt for a solution for me!

Nov 12, 2013 at 08:41 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sports Video AF

Matt,

As you budget for this, make sure you allow sufficient funds for a good set of sticks and a fluid head ($1-2K). You will also need a good external monitor to achieve critical focus as it's nearly impossible to do this using the viewfinder or lcd screen. On my camera, even with 3-4 focus assist strategies (focus bar, focus peaking, histogram, center zoom function), you simply cannot see well enough to achieve the focus required for HD video. When manually focusing, HD video is ruthlessly unforgiving.

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:06 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sports Video AF

On many of the video cameras, the sensor is so small it is almost impossible to have a very shallow depth of field. You can use that to your advantage to keep the action in focus. Most DSLR's have huge sensors by comparison. And that makes focus much more critical. Canon, Sony and JVC make very good "pro" video cameras with 3 x 1/3" sensors which deliver amazing low light capability. And they will also give you a fairly generous focus area. I get excellent results with my Sony Z7, for example.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.