FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Japanese Gardens today

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Japanese Gardens today

first RAW effort with D610 so let me have it...think I need to work on exposure, sharpness, contrast and saturation...pretty unspectacular results compared to sooc jpegs so far but I hope to start learning more...thanks

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Japanese Gardens today

Yeah, looking at RAW files for the first time can be really dissapointing and frustrating. After a while you'll get the hang of bringing out the true colours of your memories, and it will be worth the added effort.

I like #1 and 2 the most here. I also prefer #2 more when I crop just to the edge of the person in red.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Japanese Gardens today

thanks, I didn't even bother cropping....I was just happy I was able to edit and convert and resize and post here

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Japanese Gardens today

Hey Kell,

That is a fun place to go test out a new camera. #1 and 2 are my favorites, but to make these real keepers you should have gone earlier in the morning so that there are no people in the shots. Those people really take away from these and tend to turn these from Landscape shots to feeling more like just snapshots.

As for Raw, if you use Capture NX2, the picture control settings that you set your camera up with will be applied to the raw image. So that will give you more of that feel you are looking for. But rather than be disappointed that the raw images look less attractive than your old sooc jpgs, just think if it as you now have a raw clump of clay to mold as you want, you have both freedom and power with the raw. Before with the sooc jpgs, it was like you had a paint by the numbers page, and you were very limited and very little creative control over your shot. So you need to change your thinking that the raw is inhibiting you, it's actually freeing you...

Jim

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Japanese Gardens today

thanks Jim! we got there right when they opened on Veterans Day, so free admission, and it was PACKED..funny think is the lady in red is my wife...I'll have a talk with her so do you think I'm better off using Nikon s/w on my new iMAC instead of Aperature? I do like having the Nikon settings as a baseline, but Aperature has an Auto Enhance upon import feature that should give the RAWS a headstart as well...I'm confused, on the one hand Aperature seems like less trouble being Apple and when having to update the OS, might have to wait for Nikon to catch up down the road and leave me stranded for awhile...?? I just don't know what I should be doing..new pc is about a week out, and Aperature 3.5 is in the process of adding the D610...so I'm in limbo and trying to decide what to do when it's time to pull the trigger

update: just read that the D610 has been added to the new version of Aperature so I need to make a decision which s/w to go with

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Japanese Gardens today

Kell wrote:
thanks Jim! we got there right when they opened on Veterans Day, so free admission, and it was PACKED..funny think is the lady in red is my wife...I'll have a talk with her so do you think I'm better off using Nikon s/w on my new iMAC instead of Aperature? I do like having the Nikon settings as a baseline, but Aperature has an Auto Enhance upon import feature that should give the RAWS a headstart as well...I'm confused, on the one hand Aperature seems like less trouble being Apple and when having to update the OS, might have
...Show more

Hey Kell,

Ha ha.... yeah, you better talk to your wife about what she wears, all camo dresses from now on...

As to Aperature, I don't use it so I can't help you there. I will say that for years I used Nikons Capture NX to convert my Raw files, but about the time I got my D800 I switched to just using ACR to do the raw conversions. I have been using Photoshop for many years now for my editing, but I was converting my raw files in Capture NX to tiff files and then pulling them into Photoshop to edit. Now, I do it all with Photoshop by using ACR to convert, and then CS6 to edit and process.

The reason I switched is that I found ACR to be more powerful in pulling out the dynamic range from the raw files. So for you, I don't know how Aperture would compare to ACR and Photoshop. It sounds like you are comfortable with Aperature already, so that's probably the way to go for you.

My suggestion about Capture NX had to do with your wanting the better initial raw images because you are so used to sooc jpg. Personally, I would suggest getting Photoshop, there is nothing on the market that is as powerful as Photoshop when it comes to editing and processing your photos.

Now.... I hope that wasn't more confusing...

Jim

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Japanese Gardens today

good stuff....appreciate it.....wouldn't say "comfortable" with Aperature...never used it, or anything other that ViewNX2, and just began with that....so anything will be harder to learn but offer more room to grow...reading reviews, as everyone know, is a mixed bag, just when I think Aperature is the way to go I read it's a resource/RAM hog, crashes, slows...blah blah blah, but is very easy to organize libraries and manage files....at some point soon I'll just pick one...and say 'cover me, I'm going in'....thanks!

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.