New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Frame kit source?

PDBreske
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Frame kit source?

I am looking for a good source for wood frame kits in lots of different sizes. My prior experience has been with Jerry’s Artarama and the Ambiance Gallery Wood frame kits (frame, acrylic glazing, wood backing board) in various sizes. The 28” x 20” was about $50 each in a 4-pack. While the frames are very nice, the glazing was half of the time missing one or both sheets of protective film and resulted in the glazing arriving scratched and/or gouged beyond usability. I posted a video of my latest purchase on YouTube: http://youtu.be/hHZr3Csc-F4

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, inexpensive source for good quality frame kits? My taste in frames is very simple and I like the plain, black, square, wood frame parts.

Or maybe you know of a way to purchase the parts separately and not spend a ton of money.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nov 11, 2013 at 04:37 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Frame kit source?

Frame Destination

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:43 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Frame kit source?

FLSTCSAM wrote:
Frame Destination

I will second FrameDestination.com

Brian A

Nov 12, 2013 at 08:49 AM
PDBreske
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Frame kit source?

FLSTCSAM wrote:
Frame Destination

hugowolf wrote:
I will second FrameDestination.com

Brian A

Just took a look at their site and pricing and I think that will work nicely. I like that I can select custom sizes for about the same price I was paying for the frame kits from Jerry’s. Thank you!

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Frame kit source?

Frame Destination again. Prices are good. Shipping is fast. Wrapping, quality are topnotch. Quick response if there is any issue.
Keep in mind that shipping frames, esp with glass, less so with acrylic, is pricey. So if you can combine an order or have some kits ready for future use, you can significantly reduce the per/item cost. Discounts start at 4 or more of the same order.
I have pretty much done what you want to do. A number of times. Black wood, off white acid free matting, glass, full kits, for prints up to 16x20.
Great web page instructions for the simple task of putting it all together.
The do occ sales promotions as well

Scott

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Frame kit source?

sbeme wrote:
Frame Destination again. ...
Keep in mind that shipping frames, esp with glass, less so with acrylic, is pricey...

If you really want to keep costs down, or frames, mats, and backing board, and get the glass cut locally. It is crazily cheaper than acrylic or shipping glass. I live in a small town (~20,000 people), and there are three glass shops that will cut standard framing glass.

The only down side is they don't use cotton gloves, and if you are framing for a show, cleaning both sides of 20-30 panes is really tedious and time consuming.

Brian A

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.