Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

alundeb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Warm thanks to everybody willing to share in this forum, in many ways!

Name
Anders

Occupation
R&D engineer in electronics. Main applications within acoustics, radar technology, IR imaging and general data aquisition. Hardware design and programming for signal processing related to data aqusition and sensor interfaces.

How long have you been a photographer?
Don't know. Started "framing things" without a camera as a kid. Didn't get my own camera until in the twenties. Snapshots for many years, started working on my images in 2005, the same year as I got my first DSLR.

What motivated you to get into photography?
The joy of seeing great photographs.

Favorite subject(s) to shoot?
Minimalistic landscapes. Less is more.
Moments.

Least Favorite subject(s) to shoot?
Formal portraits. Selfies.

Your greatest photography strength
Aside from the obvios which is a comfortable grip on all technical stuff:
I want to say it is my eye, the ability to "see" something where others don't.

Your greatest photography weakness
My aim for perfection gets in the way too often.

Why are you a (Canon / Nikon / Alt / Whatever) shooter?
Want to pick what I need wherever i find it, so at the moment I use Canon + Nikon + NEX systems. The A7r will likely make Nikon redundant.

If you were forced to describe yourself as more of an "artist" or more of a "gear head", which would it be?
Both. They are two separate hobbies.

If you were forced to describe yourself using three adjectives, what would they be?
Thorough, sensitive, playful

Do you have your own website? If so, link it!
Only a blog and flickr.

Any other hobbies?
Singing, cooking, wandering in the woods and the mountains.

Anything else you want to add.
In love

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:36 AM
David R.

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

How seriously self indulgent.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name

Jools

Soon 40

Occupation

X-ray diffraction and Electron Microscopy Engineer/Researcher

I'll let you know when i graduate from "guy who takes pictures". Bought my first SLR 26 years ago though, used it for 5 years then lapsed until 2006 when i got a DSLR.

First time round I saved up the money to buy a radio controlled car when i was 14, but when i went to buy it i realised i would get bored of it in a month or so and bought a camera instead.

Second time i moved to Norway and realised my P&S wasn't doing justice to either the landscape or to Junior, so I bought a DSLR.

My daughter i guess.

Dunno. Stuff i am poorly equipped for but try anyway, like BIF. Never bothered with lights or even flash, but anything that isn't spontaneous tends to bore me.

A photogenic daughter...

Sorting and post processing.

Initially Ricoh, cos it was cheap. Now Canon cos when i went shopping the 350D/XT was the best in it's price range and Canon had the best lens line-up at prices i could afford.

If you were forced to describe yourself as more of an "artist" or more of a "gear head", which would it be?

Wannabee for both.

If you were forced to describe yourself using three adjectives, what would they be?

Modest, thorough, competent

Only for family.

Any other hobbies?

Used to do a bit of hiking, cross country skiing and such but since i shafted my lower back thats all on hold.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:28 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

David R. wrote:

What?

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:04 PM
helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

carstenw wrote:
What?

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Arka wrote:
Name Arka

Age 30s

How long have you been a photographer? 40+/-

you've been a photographer longer than you've been alive?

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:14 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

David R. wrote:

I think you just described anyone who happens to shoot photos that don't go to a client.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

sebboh wrote:

Well he did include a minus sign

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

sebboh wrote:

I just thought the same... Maybe he's from the 1930's

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:23 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

sebboh wrote:

That is called dedication. Sometimes I suspect I was a photographer in my previous life

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

the solitaire
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name First name Buddy, just like my parents dog...

Age 35. I own lenses that are older then me.

How long have you been a photographer? Iīm no photographer. I donīt earn money with photography. Itīs a nice hobby though

What motivated you to get into photography? good question really. It happened some 20 years ago, so I am no longer certain what the trigger was. Part of it has always been the fascination with technology and part of it the technology behind manipulating reality to crreate a photograph

Favorite subject(s) to shoot? Nature, there is just so much of it and itīs ever changing.

Least Favorite subject(s) to shoot? People. They are just so damn picky about how they would want to look most of the time.

Your greatest photography strength Adaptability

Your greatest photography weakness Lack of time. Even when Iīm out with the camera I only have seconds to take a shot. I would love to take more time. Life gets in the way a lot though.

Why are you a (Canon / Nikon / Alt / Whatever) shooter? Iīm a Nikon shooter. Always admired the ergonomics and durability

If you were forced to describe yourself as more of an "artist" or more of a "gear head", which would it be? The gearhead in me made me buy a 55mm f1,2 S.C Nikkor. The 55 f1,2 S.C is an artists lens. No amount of gears can make it work for you, but an artist can make it shine. I love that lens.

If you were forced to describe yourself using three adjectives, what would they be? bi polar bear?

Any other hobbies? I have more hobbies then time. Wouldnīt want to leave out a single one though. I like old cars, long walks with my dog, boardgames, painting, I bike a lot and I enjoy keeping a few fish in nicely decorated and fully planted tanks (freshwater).

Anything else you want to add. pictures maybe?

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:18 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name : Bruce

Occupation : High School Biology Teacher (stuck in adolescence )

How long have you been a photographer? : Since 1979

What motivated you to get into photography? : My uncle who owned a Leica M5 and R3… amazing tools for the era

Favorite subject(s) to shoot? : Nature / Simple elements / Cultural Travel

Least Favorite subject(s) to shoot? : Buildings / Architecture

Your greatest photography strength : Patience and willingness to wake up very early and shoot in inclement weather

Your greatest photography weakness : Peak moments… I miss way more than I see!

Why are you a (Canon / Nikon / Alt / Whatever) shooter? : Began w/ a Pentax MX, spent 10 years w/ Contax & Hassleblads, entered AF age with Nikon, and now shoot Canon… I'm stuck to Canon because I LOVE my 300 f2.8L IS. Also own a black X100 and thinking about adding an X-Pro1 to the mix

Want to say artist, because the truth hurts too much

Pensive, Ironic, Introverted

http://btleventhal.com

Any other hobbies?
Travel, Biological Research

Glad to meet you all… cool idea by the op!

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name: Hiep Phan

How long have you been a photographer? Roughly 9 years

Who motivated you to get into photography? My dad for family oriented photography, Jerry Ghionis for portraiture photography, and Galen Rowell for landscape photography.

Favorite subject(s) to shoot? Weddings due to the raw emotions, though never been a pro, just asked by friends. Landscape and urbanscape since I love to travel and explore

Least Favorite subject(s) to shoot? Formal portraits, ironically.... too forced for me.

Your greatest photography strength: willingness to learn and improve

Your greatest photography weakness: have yet invest enough feeling into the shot

As an enthusiast, I shoot with whatever suitable for my style. I have tried Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, and Sony. At the beginning, I was learning the ropes with a Pentax DSLR and a bunch of manual, cheap prime lenses. It stuck till now. So I greatly value EVF and liveview (Sony and FF sensor make sense).

Still a gear head. I believe in getting the best gear that I can afford instead of mulling about "what if..." It's much more enjoyable . However, I am pushing and challenging myself toward the "artist" side.

Motivated, optimistic and curious

Only flickr

Any other hobbies?

Cook (love to cook) and eat , travel and explore, cutlery and tea drinking, read

Gotta say I love this place, so much to learn. I missed the previous introduction but it's nice to see many participants. Very nice to know a little bit more about everyone else.

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:22 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

cputeq wrote:
I think you just described anyone who happens to shoot photos that don't go to a client.

... and all those self indulgent asshats who sit around reading photography forums. Man, I hate those people.

Actually, this is a great thread. It's interesting seeing some of the other life-aspects of the forumites who post regularly. It kind of paints a picture, heh.

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

the solitaire wrote:
How long have you been a photographer? Iīm no photographer. I donīt earn money with photography. Itīs a nice hobby though

You are not pro photographer... photographer ≠ pro photographer

Being pro would ruins whole thing, at least for me, I'm happily and hopefully will remains "just" an amateur photographer. Good article in by Alain Briot.

Samuli

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Peire
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name

Piotr - it stands for Peter.My nick here is to commemorate another Peter of medieval times - the Languedoc (today's Southern France from Rhone River estuary to Pyrenees/Spanish border - 100 to 200 km deep) - Peire Vidal - poet and trubadour.

Occupation

Medical doctor for most of the time,musician and choir singer every now and then.Historian and university teacher from time to time.Business unit director in a big multinational pharmaceutical company in the past .

I don't earn my living with photography,but used to sell stock photographs for 16 years now, and still getting some niece income on that - enough,more or less,to fund new alt purchases.
I took the first P&S camera in 1989 to photograph my neweborn daughter.They were peaks and throughs since then,but I have come a long way from P&S and 35mm through 6x4,5cm SLRs,6x6 and 6x7cm rangefinders to the large 4x5" format cameras.

At the beginning of digital era everything became so simple - just have some free time,go,shoot and see the results immediately.

Some unknown inner need.

Flowers,trees,plants in general,architectural details,street photos,closeups.

People- I see to many of them

simplicity

Looking at photographic subjects from the side of their sales potential.

I am a Canon,Nikon,NEX shooter,because different systems give me a freedom of being flexible.I treat cameras like tools- but lenses is a different story.Cameras fade away - good lenses stay for long.

I don't see myself as an artist.I just take pictures beacuse I like it .Gear head? I don't think so.I like taking pictures with many different lenses and have them on demand for the sake of this.I like reviving old alts and see for myself how they perform.

Pragmatic,open-minded,imaginative

I'm reluctant to publish.The only place I put some of my pictures continuously just for fun is zeissimages

Any other hobbies?

History,Enology,Latin,Comparative linguistics to point out the ones I'm involved in for most of my free time now.

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 07:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:14 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who has responded so far - really nice to hear a little background information from everyone, and yes I've read every bio

Since I'm a bit of a numbers nerd on the side, I might actually a produce very general demographics spread once a few more responses are in.

I'm actually mostly interested in our various occupations - I have to wonder if personalities lead to professions, which also tie into hobbies. Photography can run the gamut from extremely introverted to extremely social, so when I compile these demographics, I'll be very curious to see if the profession (and assumed level of 'sociableness') mirrors the type of photography preferred (and subjects).

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:30 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name

Edd

60 + N

Occupation

Autonomous Systems Designer/Developer

Since the early 60's, after I received my first film camera (Pentax Spotmatic), followed by medium and large format systems.

I started when I needed to document my engineering prototypes in college and later in graduate school. It carried on later while serving in Vietnam and Laos, and continues with me to this day.

Nature/Wildlife, Amateur Sports, Anything that moves fast, is shiny, and makes a lot of noise.

Young Friends/Relatives Weddings

Patience and the willingness to try again.

Knowing when to walk out of local/regional camera shops empty-handed.

I moved through the brands as an early gear-head, from Pentax, to Nikon (F2), to Canon (F1's...many), and now to mostly shooting with Canon EOS (digital & film) . I do, however, have a place in my heart (and the equipment locker) for u4/3's, NEX, and lots of Alt glass. I also still shoot medium and large-format systems (Linhof, Fuji, and Rollei), as film is still very interesting to me from many viewpoints.

I'm still trying to move the slider from the right (gear-head) towards the left (artist); seems to be stuck in the middle right now...

Resourceful, Crafty, Life-Long Learner

Only for family.

Any other hobbies?

Skiing, flying, hiking, volunteering at local schools and Special Olympics.

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name
James (Bukkai) Colwell, a.k.a. Jim, jcolwell, and "who, him?"

Occupations
1. Naval Architect R&D; computer-aided ship design, seakeeping, helo/ship ops, human performance at sea, ...
2. Photographer; nature, commercial, sports, Zen, ...

I started 'serious' photography with an OM-1 when I went to the arctic on a ship in 1974, and then I stepped it up for rock climbing in the late seventies (I bought a second lens).

I love the process of taking photos.

Yes.

No.

Seeing.

Not doing enough of it.

Why are you a Canon shooter?
I'm primarily a Canon shooter because they offered a full frame sensor in 2004, when I started to switch away from film to digital. After buying a 20D, I sold my 35mm Pentax LX and autofocus systems. After buying a 5D, I sold my Fuji MF rangefinders (GSW690II, GW670II, GS645S) and LF Shen Hao 4x5 system (Fuji lenses). I currently use 1DX, 1DIV, 6D, X Pro-1, X100s, and RX100. I'll probably get an A7R next year for use with my TS-E, Zeiss, Oly, and Mamiya 645 lenses.

Yes.

Introverted, intuitive, thinking (, and perceiving)

Do you have your own website?
www.jcolwell.ca (seriously needs an update)

Any other hobbies?
sea kayaking, listening to music, lens testing

"In order to move, you have to sit." [source unknown]

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 09:57 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

jcolwell wrote:
I'm primarily a Canon shooter because they offered a full frame sensor in 1974, when I started to switch away from film to digital.

Don't get that...

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:38 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password