Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Sorry if this has been done before, but I did a few searches and couldn't come up with anything.

I thought it would be fun to get to "know" each other a bit more on the alt boards. We interact with one another through text, but it's nice to maybe know a bit more about the personality behind the words. This gives us a chance to maybe write a mini bio, separate from our profiles. (and I promise, Fred and/or Google and/or the NSA didn't hire me to write this )

Fred if this is out of bounds, just let me know!

Each question is totally optional of course, but perhaps the format could go like:

Name (maybe keep it to first names or nicknames)

Age (as generic or specific as you want)

Occupation (as generic or specific as you want)

How long have you been a photographer?

What motivated you to get into photography?

Favorite subject(s) to shoot?

Least Favorite subject(s) to shoot?

Your greatest photography strength

Your greatest photography weakness

Why are you a (Canon / Nikon / Alt / Whatever) shooter?

If you were forced to describe yourself as more of an "artist" or more of a "gear head", which would it be?

If you were forced to describe yourself using three adjectives, what would they be?

Do you have your own website? If so, link it!

Any other hobbies?

Anything else you want to add.

-------

I'll start

Name

Jeremy

Occupation

Military for 16 years and running (5 Army, 11 Air Force).

5.5 years seriously, though maybe 8 years total if you count my P&S dark ages.

I finally got tired of missing shots of my newborn son with my Fuji point and shoot, so I convinced the wife to let me get my first DSLR (Pentax K200D!). I had also always wanted to make nice landscape shots, so this would give me an opportunity to learn.

Favorite subject(s)?

Landscape (because I love the outdoors), my children, architecture. Wildlife when I have the patience / lens

Least Favorite subject(s)?

People portraits (because I'm horrible at posing others), weddings because of stress.

My post-processing skills - I've proven to people that sometimes it's not their gear at fault, but how they're treating an image. I love making a good image into an awesome one. I consider PP just as fun as getting the image in the first place.

I'm usually very rushed - My compositions and "vision" suffer as a result - working on slowing down!

Canon because I love their lenses and their used market is cheapest and most diverse. Alt because I'm a tinkerer at heart and I love "different" stuff. Can't wait for my A7 to come in.

If you were forced to describe yourself as more of an "artist" or more of a "gear head", which would it be?

Gear head, by far.

If you were forced to describe yourself using three adjectives, what would they be?

Semi-social, witty, uncomplicated.

Used to, but I got lazy and let the address lease lapse. Maybe again one day...

Any other hobbies?

Mountain biking, some wood working, jogging. Hopefully move into camping and more hiking when my children get older.

Anything else:

Just wanted to say I love this website Lots of good information with minimal "DPR taint".
I also love the various photos everyone posts - Sometimes I see a shot that I would have never thought to take (my vision suffering, from above) and like it, so that helps me expand my photographic endeavors.

Nov 11, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Jordan

Electrical engineer. Was an Army officer for 5 years after college.

I've been shooting for 16 years, but I'd consider only the past 10 where I actually concentrated on being a decent photographer. The first 6 were just pointing a camera at stuff and pushing the button.

I just gradually found myself wanting to improve my shots. The real bug bit me when I moved to Europe and started traveling a lot. I then dove in full on and never really stopped.

I shoot a very wide variety - architecture and landscape are probably my favorites to shoot, though.

Haven't really found one yet. I used to dread posed and studio shooting, but I've grown to really enjoy it. I'm still relatively weak in this area, but I'm 10x better than I was 5 years ago.

Versatility, I guess.

Studio Lighting

I shoot mirrorless (Fuji X and m4/3) for weight and size considerations. Shot Canon for 8 years before switching and have enjoyed photography even more since the switch since I don't ever feel bogged down by my gear.

Both. I love gear and reading up on all the stuff (and writing about it), but at heart I care much more about the process and the final image than what was used to create it.

assertive, caring, intelligent

Reviews/articles: http://www.admiringlight.com
Portfolio: http://www.jsteelephotos.com

Any other hobbies?
Music (play percussion, piano, guitar and a little trumpet), computers

Nov 11, 2013 at 04:09 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Thanks for the reply Jordan! One day I hope to get to visit Europe, seems like it would be an awesome time with photography!

Before I got into photography seriously, I was in South Korea for 1 year (Army) and had three rolls of film from a little Kodak 110 camera undeveloped...I ended up throwing them away once I got back stateside (I'm an idiot, I know)!

I'd love to go there again too, just to see the culture so radically different from my own. I really wish I would have developed those photos. Ah well.

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:36 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

possibly relevant, an alt people thread was attempted a time or two:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/882236/0

can't seem to find the second one...

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:43 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Thanks Sebboh, though that link is more of a "selfie" thread Nice find and I'll be sure to peruse.

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:44 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Bob Israel

Director of Regulatory Affairs at a multi national company

Since the 80s but I went from hobbyist to (Semi)professional for the past 10 years.

Sports photography, particularly high school

Landscapes - natural and urban. I live downtown and walk to work. I also have a house on a lake and love the outdoors.

Flash and/or Studio photography. I just never learned enough to know how to start.

People tell me it's my sense of composition but I like to think it's a result of feeling the emotion of what draws me to an image.

Street photography. I absolutely love it but I need to spend more time getting over those fears of people knowing I am shooting them and/or engaging them in order to shoot them.

I guess I just started with Canon (Canon 10D) and stayed with it. But lately, I always have a second mirrorless body and I'm waiting for the Sony a7R. Over the past 18 months I've used and sold a NEX-5N, NEX-7, Fuji X100s, Olympus OMD E-M5, Sony RX1, Sony RX100 MII

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a bit of a gearhead (see answer to question directly above) but there are plenty on this forum that are so much deeper into the technology and science than I. It's still the finished image that gives me the biggest thrill so I have to say artist.

Introspective (not introvert), social, athletic.

http://www.rjiphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjiphotography

Any other hobbies?
Computers, boating, fishing, hiking

I really like this thread! And I love FM. I've learned more about photography from this site alone (10 year member) than anything.

Nov 11, 2013 at 06:25 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Awesome Bob, nice to know more about you. I also shared your hesitation with flash photography, but once I "jumped in" so to speak, it actually opened up a lot of doors (especially for me, since many times I can't get away from the house for proper photography).

I've been away from flash photography for a while, but I plan on very soon getting myself a wireless manual flash setup to practice interiors and product shots -- exciting stuff

Nov 11, 2013 at 06:35 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Funny, I even have a couple of flashes and some triggers and some other assorted accessories. I even have access to studio space as part of a coop. I just have never tried. It would probably help to be a second hand for someone else to get a comfort level. Then again, I love shooting outdoors anyway.!

Nov 11, 2013 at 06:42 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Katie

pushing 40

hmmm - that's a tough one

5 years

love of learning, but mostly a new baby

LIFE! I shoot documentary style ... but I have an eternal weakness for silly kids.

Portraits, oddly enough. And grown ups (or those that consider themselves grown up...)

Black and White

wet printing black and white in the darkroom

Leica - because it's the best
And Film, because it's REAL.

Artist for sure, but I actually know too much about equipment to be a real artist.

Oh, gosh, I have no idea (so indecisive should be one...)

www.katieshearerphotography.com

Any other hobbies?
I have a severe love of all things old - I am a collector, antiquer, picker, whatever you want to call it...

Nov 11, 2013 at 07:28 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Welcome Katie Took a look at your website, and while you say your least-favorite subject is portraits, you did a bang-up job on a lot of them, and I ain't just talking about the purdy ladies ! Kudos! (the digital and color film shots).

Nov 11, 2013 at 07:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name: Markus

Occupation: Optics Engineer at a camera manufacturer (Machine Vision) - good thing there I get a lot of lenses - from some of the companies we know here too. And sometimes some information before it is published.
Before this I worked as an engineer for thermography, high-speed-video and endoscopy.

How long have you been a photographer? Since 26 years

I was interested in astronomy, should get a telescope. Went to the local photographer who also sells telescopes. He showed me his personal stuff. And as we talked it seems much to expensive for me. So he recommended me to buy a camera set, a Yashica FX-D Quartz. Could use this camera later for astronomy if I want, or I could buy great Zeiss lenses for it. I did the later :-)

Nature details - easy to access. Rich variety, much for my bokeh love.
Nude - not so easy to get a model. But it is like landscape photography, but with full light control, and from an helicopter - and I can change the landscape a bit when giving the model new instructions. It is great.
Furthermore it seems that I make good images from women in my age. They love my work :-)

Sports & cars because I am not interested in this, furthermore subjects I have seen too many good images - I think I would get into a kind of complete photo-restraint when I would see the El Capitan, Adams has made images that are so much, much better than everything I could make. I suppose I would not dare to take a photo.

Your greatest photography strength:
I know optics better than most photographers do. Made my own cheap defocus control lens, found a cheaper Meyer Trioplan 100 sibling, build Apodization lenses, make mount conversions, camera IR modifications, remove coatings for the effect, build telecentric or even hypercentric lens setups, work on own focal reducer...

I spend to much time with gear modification and playing with it. And I donīt like Photoshop enough, so my images lack some optimization.

Canon was the DSLR camera system with the cheapest 24x36mm sensor, furthermore with a good register distance and mount diameter - ideal for me as M42 & Contax/Yashica lens user. back then. Furthermore I was fascinated by the EF mount when it was introduced, I had the instant thought how easy this is for retro and bellows shooting - before Novoflex started to sell such products later.
Alt shooter because I donīt want to pay that much money to get good lenses with good build quality (Canon L, Zeiss), I like many lenses to play and modify, and I like flea markets. And: I do not like autofocus, I swear when I have to use slow AF - I donīt want to make image composing with the AF points in mind.

Gear head - but I would like to be more the artist. Try to convert myself, but there are all theses lens modification ideas pop out of my brain. I can not ignore them all

curious, introverted, skilled

http://www.4photos.de/index-en.html

Any other hobbies?
Not more, some years ago acrobatics.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:06 PM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Interesting thread....

Name
Adrian

Occupation
Programmer, code monkey, codebender.

10+ years seriously, a lot longer than that casually.

Good question. I'm not sure how I started getting serious. All I know is after my first DSLR, I got more and more into it.

Used to be portraiture, fashion events, macros, until my kids came along and now it is 99% family and not much time left for anything else.

None that I can think of.

Adaptability. I'll take whatever you put in my hand and try to make the most of it.

Street photography. Don't have the opportunity to try it, not sure I have the guts to either. Which is ironic considering I shoot with a Leica.

Canon because that's where I started my serious photography path, beginning with the EOS 10D.
Leica because with family, it is getting more troublesome to manage two kids and a heavy DSLR with 2-3 prime lenses but at the same time I can't ignore the quality I get from my 5D MkIII.

Definitely gear head, even though I try not to be.

Impulsive, enthusiastic, dedicated.

Just a personal blog, link is in my profile.

Any other hobbies?
Computers, gaming, music.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name

Steve

Occupation

Professor

Eight years in digital; film SLR in my 20s and a little recently; interest from as early as I can remember

I took it up with my daughter again when she was a teenager.

Nature, portraits, close ups (not quite macro)

nothing

patience to get a shot

lack of patience with post processing

Right now I shoot with a Canon 5D MKII and Zeiss ZE and Minolta Rokkor lenses. I really enjoy manual focus and I like the 5D MKII for the viewfinder and Full Frame sensor.

artist I hope, but sometimes I am too much of a gear head

Focussed, generous, and can be quick-tempered

no, I want to develop one but I haven't found the time

Any other hobbies?

Running, hiking

I want to thank everyone on this site for the tone and civility they have shown over the years.

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:21 AM
telyt
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Doug Herr

too old to be trusted

Engineering software developer

43 years

this bird:
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/acwo02.jpg

warm-blooded wildlife: birds, mammals, family

street

patience

artificial lighting

Started using Nikon, but was tempted by Leica's reputation and when Nikon's direction suggested feature creep I switched. No regrets, Leica lenses are the best for me.

I like to think I'm a recovering gear head but my emotional response to the A7r suggests otherwise.

patient, introverted, gullible

http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Any other hobbies?

running, kayaking, hiking, camping

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

The NSA is watching...

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:57 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Lotusm50 wrote:
The NSA is watching...

They know it all already

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:58 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Name: Adam Maas

Occupation: currently a Service Desk Analyst (Trained as an Electrical Engineer, Communications Systems speciality with Analog IC design).

How long have you been a photographer?: 30+ years, 12 years seriously

What motivated you to get into photography?: Fun, Low stress

Favorite subject(s) to shoot? Nature, Landscape, Cityscape

Least Favorite subject(s) to shoot?: Sports

Your greatest photography strength: Willingness to shoot in lousy weather

Your greatest photography weakness: Flash

Why are you a (Canon / Nikon / Alt / Whatever) shooter?: Currently m43. I have historically changed systems a lot though

If you were forced to describe yourself as more of an "artist" or more of a "gear head", which would it be?: Split 50/50

If you were forced to describe yourself using three adjectives, what would they be?: introverted, stubborn, inquisitive

Do you have your own website? If so, link it!: none right now.

Any other hobbies?: little plastic aeroplanes (scale modelling, mostly 1/72 scale WW2 fighters)

Nov 12, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Nothing I havent already said about me, so why not.

Name: Spyro. Duh

How long have you been a photographer?: 21 years from my first Canon SLR I think

What motivated you to get into photography?: Cameras. I just like them.

Favorite subject(s) to shoot? Street... 90% of my photos are taken in the same 4 streets around the office during my lunchbreaks, which is all I have time for these days. But I'm not a fanatic, if there were nude models walking around in Melbourne CBD I'd be shooting nude models

Least Favorite subject(s) to shoot?: I don't care, I always find sth.

Your greatest photography strength: Given a short prime I can shoot behind my back and probably get maybe 80% of the frame I wanted

Your greatest photography weakness: I probably do the above trick more than I should

Why are you a (Canon / Nikon / Alt / Whatever) shooter?: Fav camera of all time was a Contax G1/G2, and fuji X was the closest digital thing I could find. Also a big Astia and Velvia fan, and I read somewhere that part of the team who made those film stocks were actually involved in the development of fuji sensors and jpeg engines. The result is nowhere near of course but closer than other cameras IMO.

If you were forced to describe yourself as more of an "artist" or more of a "gear head", which would it be?: I'm not sure what an artist is. I definitely like cameras but I mostly like photography.

If you were forced to describe yourself using three adjectives, what would they be?: thats a job for my wife

Do you have your own website? If so, link it!: just a flickr in my sig

Any other hobbies?: blogging on politics, economics and philosophy in Greek, which is my native language

Nov 12, 2013 at 03:56 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

mawz wrote:
Name: Adam Maas

Hey, we could be distantly related. My great-great grandmother was a Maas. Hailed from Wisconsin, so not too far from Canada.

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Introductions / Biographies - Who are you?

Sounds Danish or sth like that?

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:07 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password