Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Prismatic Spring

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7396/10794758373_c9e0cb29f9_h.jpg

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:22 AM
matthewh133
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Nice shot mate, you did well to get it without those pesky top of the pines sneaking in like in mine.

Nov 11, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Prismatic Spring

matthewh133 wrote:
Nice shot mate, you did well to get it without those pesky top of the pines sneaking in like in mine.

I cheated and removed a few of them in post.

Nov 11, 2013 at 03:39 AM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Prismatic Spring

A very nice shot. One of the better photos I have seen of Grand Prismatic Spring.

Ryan

Nov 11, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Prismatic Spring

lostinjapan wrote:
A very nice shot. One of the better photos I have seen of Grand Prismatic Spring.

Ryan

Thanks. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. The shadows from the clouds actually really helped things.

My favorite shots from this location are aerials, but obviously not easily accomplished. This will have to do for now.

Nov 11, 2013 at 03:46 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Prismatic Spring

I'll say a few things about my post processing here. . .

Lighroom 5 (except for content-aware in PS)
- Lessened shadows significantly
- Lessened clarity significantly
- Enhanced contrast significantly
- Lessened exposure/highlights on background above the spring so it didn't compete so with the spring.
- Selectively added back clarity/contrast where the sun hit the spring... so as to help draw your focus to this area.
- Used content aware to remove some pesky branches.
- 3:1 crop

Nov 11, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Bump because I was wondering if there were anymore opinions on this. I've been trying to get my monitor calibrated and wonder if the color is over/under saturated and or off in balance any other way.

Looks good to me, but now I'm questioning all that. Thanks.

Nov 24, 2013 at 04:43 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grand Prismatic Spring

gorgeous image of the GPS. i took one when i was there years ago and it doesnt come close to this. you timed it just right to have light just on the spring. the colors are beautiful against the darker outside area.

Nov 24, 2013 at 04:46 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Very nice image!
How do you get the elevated view?

Bob

Nov 24, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grand Prismatic Spring

uintaangler wrote:
Very nice image!
How do you get the elevated view?

Bob

Went to a parking lot back behind the midway geyser basin area. Fairy Falls Trailhead I believe. Big dirt bike path, and then an obvious foot trail heading up the hill that overlooks the basin. It's actually really easy to get there. Is a rather steep hill though, with lots of logs to navigate... so you have to watch your step. Also have to be bear aware in that area.Probably a few miles round trip.

Nov 24, 2013 at 06:05 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Derek Weston wrote:
Went to a parking lot back behind the midway geyser basin area. Fairy Falls Trailhead I believe. Big dirt bike path, and then an obvious foot trail heading up the hill that overlooks the basin. It's actually really easy to get there. Is a rather steep hill though, with lots of logs to navigate... so you have to watch your step. Also have to be bear aware in that area.Probably a few miles round trip.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2013 at 06:12 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grand Prismatic Spring

This is sweet Derik. It looks like you took this from the top of one of the beauts.

Morris

Nov 24, 2013 at 06:33 PM
larryt
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Nice shot, going to do that some day. looks like early morning. best time of day in am?

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Grand Prismatic Spring

larryt wrote:
Nice shot, going to do that some day. looks like early morning. best time of day in am?

Probably from 11am to 4pm or so. You just want the sun to be overhead so as to illuminate the spring properly so all the colors show. One of those rare objects that needs intense light and not the softer light morning or evening offers.

The shot I had was in partially cloudy skies and at the moment was only partially illuminated. That's part of what I thought made it interesting compared to the fully sunny shots like most you see. Here's one I took with full sun at around 3 to 4pm:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3723/11039818023_2031acf215_h.jpg

Nov 24, 2013 at 07:53 PM
radioman301

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Color saturated just right. I walked back to the falls this last spring ans was kind of disappointed. Did not climb the hill?(bad me!!). Very nice picture.

Nov 25, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Grand Prismatic Spring

I just love that first shot. The rainbow of colours and light are great. Is it a crop or stitched pano? I would have been tempted to take multiple shots while the people were moving and then masked everyone out using different shots.

Nov 25, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Very cool lighting. I especially like how the steam and perhaps clouds reflect off the surface of the water in the shadow areas leading up to the pool.

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:01 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Really liking the colors, Derek. Nice job on the PP.

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:32 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Derek,

I love the lighting. I really like the partial lighting and its a huge difference from the 3-4pm shot. 3-4pm shot while its still nice is pretty much like many shots I've seen of the place but the partial lighting makes it different. You also get much deeper colors.

thanks for sharing!

Jason

Nov 25, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Grand Prismatic Spring

Justin Grimm wrote:
I just love that first shot. The rainbow of colours and light are great. Is it a crop or stitched pano? I would have been tempted to take multiple shots while the people were moving and then masked everyone out using different shots.

Crop from my d800. (looking back, wish I would have had more rez to work with by stitching, but, this was a tricky shot to grab with limited opportunities for partly cloudy shots that worked.

Interesting thought on the multi shot approach to remove people. I sort of figured, though, that with the boardwalk being intractable... might as well have people on it. Form me it works since the people aren't well lit but the interesting part of the image is.

Nov 25, 2013 at 06:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.