Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

just ordered a 27" iMAC

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

agonized for a week going back and forth between this and and the 15" mackbook pro retina...in the end I decided that the bigger screen and the fact I spend most of my time behind the desk on a pc made the most sense...now I hope Aperature 3.5 adds my D610 soon cuz I got a huge learning curve ahead, but good timing for the upcoming months of rainy crappy days with not allot else to do

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Is this your first Mac ? If so then you'll have a learning curve just with the OS X and getting used to the non-windows applications. You might want to look at getting Parallels so that you can install Windows and run it as a program within OS X. That way you can benefit from the full versions of MS Office and handy photo software like Downloader Pro.

Enjoy your new toy.

- Alan

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Good for you. The learning curve is quite small. That's why the manual for the iMac is so tiny. You are about to begin a wonderful experience.

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

yeah, first Apple product ever, zero experience...they have free classes I'm going to sign up for, thanks

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:52 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Bought my 27 a few months back . had never even touched a mac before i bought it . love it to bits .

as for the learning curve . I actually found it to be very small . only ever used windows before .
I found OSx to be really easy to pick up which is more than i can say for the windows 8 ultrabook we bought my wife at the same time (it still takes me ages to do anything when I pick it up )

whenever ive been stuck on something , Ie screen print (which is better and faster than win) or Cut rather than paste (win is better) a quick google has the the answer in a few seconds .

Ive not looked into Parrallels as ive not come accross much that i use thats win only . Im more of the mind that as Ive bought into the mac (and yes admit paid more than i should for a PC) then why do i want to use windows on it
By the way Alan , Office comes on mac as well

Nov 11, 2013 at 07:58 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Good luck. We've been Mac oriented for year now and the only widows program I use if for the accounts!

Look in to VMWare fusion if you need windows. It does the same thing as Parallels but in our experience does it better. Other people may have different experiences which is why it's great to have a choice

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Arstechnica did a very detailed review of Parallels and VMWare just last month.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

I have no desire to use Win whatsoever, part of the reason I spent big bucks on the MAC is to kick Win to the curb...I'll figure it all out, it's still just a computer

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:17 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Kell wrote:
I have no desire to use Win whatsoever

I agree with you. I've been a Mac user since 1984. But the one Windows program that I cannot get awy from is Quicken. There's just no counterpart on the Mac, unfortunately (the Mac version of Quicken just doesn't make the grade). And I have years of data stored in Quicken. So I run Parallels and Windows just to use Quicken.

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

"they have free classes I'm going to sign up for". You won't need them.

Dan, it may be a bit more than what Quicken provides (not much) but the Mac version of Quickbooks is just fine. Apple computer user since 1979.

Nov 11, 2013 at 04:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Jeffrey wrote:
Dan, it may be a bit more than what Quicken provides (not much) but the Mac version of Quickbooks is just fine. Apple computer user since 1979.

Unfortunately, Quickbooks does provide the investment tracking features of Quicken.

Nov 11, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

I have one Windows program that I need to run sometimes on my Mac, and use Wine. Works great.
http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:55 PM
goldencode
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

You will never want to use crappy Windows again.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:03 PM
a123
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

I switched to Mac a few months ago when I got frustrated with Windows 8. I bought a 27" iMac and a used MB Pro for me, a 21" iMac for my daughter and a MB Air for my wife. We dumped everything with windows and haven't looked back! I absolute love OSX. I love how integrated everything is...I've started using Aperture more than photoshop and like it a lot. I haven't found a need to run windows on it. Enjoy your new iMac!

Nov 12, 2013 at 05:12 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

thanks everyone...compared to the crappy pos laptop I've been using it'll be like going from a KIA to a Ferrari

Nov 12, 2013 at 05:25 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

I switched about 5 years ago because I got tired of re-installing Windows. Currently have a 27 imac.

Just curious as to why you are also switching to Aperture. What photo software are you currently using?

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

using the free Nikon ViewNX2, figure any new sw will be a learning curve so why not just go with Apple proprietary. perhaps I'm wrong but common sense tells me running it should, in theory anyway, result in less potential glitches during operation and when udating the OS. also, the auto enhance setting sounds like a good baseline to work with, and can even apply it during importing from the card. Plus all I have to do is add it through iTunes, sounds pretty easy

Edited on Nov 12, 2013 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
By the way Alan , Office comes on mac as well

Ian, if you were ever well into MS Office then you'll find the mac version lacking.
e.g. It does not have Access (database), OneNote, Publisher. Some aspects of Outlook are different, such as archiving mail - in Mac it's all or none, but in Windows you can automate selections by year, etc.
A real killer for some time was the Office:mac activation system that complained that I had a different computer every time I connected or disconnected an eSATA drive. Grrrrr.

My intro to Mac was far from being a smooth one but that's behind me now. What peeves me most now is the increasingly compulsory need to use the cloud to link two Apple devices that are beside other instead of using a USB cable as I was able to do previously. e.g. try to sync the Notes or Reminders data without the cloud. Similar for Contacts data in the latest OS X. And it is so unnecessary to force it to work this way.

Also unnecessary is the dumbing down of Macs in terms of expansion ports, BD/DVD/CD burners, antiglare screen options, etc. - even the so-called pro models. I don't mind the top prices too much if I can get what I need and want but not for a computer that isn't what I want.

In terms of photo software the windows program that I miss most is Downloader Pro, which can automatically rename files using info in the photo file as well the parent folder name to give me a combined camera folder and image number. It can put the photos in the appropriate target folders too. Lr cannot do that without manual intervention. There's other stuff too but this was what I used for every image upload to my windows computer.

Anyway, enough whinging. People who like Macs tend to really like them a lot and so they're quite happy. That's a good thing and I hope it stays that way for you.

- Alan

Nov 12, 2013 at 03:54 PM
fsiagian
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

Beautiful piece of equipment. I'm thinking about getting one myself to replace my old Mac. Congrats, you will love it.

Nov 12, 2013 at 04:19 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · just ordered a 27" iMAC

I've done a lot of thinking about this as well as my PC is becoming a pain to deal with. After about 20+ years on Windows I'm going to switch over to the iMac. The transition is much more tolerable now as I can set up bootcamp and retain access to any key apps. I was looking at the Mac Pro also but I just don't think the Xeon's or the Fire Pro's will offer me enough for the cost.

The latest iMac seems like a nice package. I just have to figure out what kind of external storage I want to migrate to. Trying to find something that is relatively quiet.

Nov 12, 2013 at 05:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password