Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help me choose fstop backpack (Loka vs Tilopa BC) and ICU...

boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help me choose fstop backpack (Loka vs Tilopa BC) and ICU choices.

So I've been looking into getting a photo backpack for quite some time now and after months of looking at my options I think either f-stop loka or tilopa bc may fit my needs best.

My current gear: 5DIII, 14mm Saymang, 17-40L, 35L, 85 1.8, 430EXII, Benro travel tripod, a few screw on filters. (Rebel T2i, that I don't use much). I hate to guess what my future gear will entail, but possibly another flash and prime or at most a 70-200 2.8 II. I don't see myself getting anything bigger than that.

I'm pretty short at 5' 6". I weigh about 155#. I workout quite a bit and in pretty good shape in general.

I shoot a wide range of photography, from landscape, street, travel, varioius assignments/work. I want to start doing more day trips for landscape photography, both day and night. Hopefully even some weekend trips that may require some camping (although realistically I don't know how often that would happen, maybe once a year). Another reason why I want either of these f-stop bags is to be able to fit other stuff with my camera gear, especially when the wife and I start having kids. I have a Lowepro Slingshot 202 when I want faster access and carry less stuff and I have a small shoulder bag when I just want to carry a camera and 1-2 lenses. I do travel a lot with my wife (even though most of the time I leave the gear at home), but when I do bring it I can see myself using this bag often for that purpose.

As you can see I don't have that much gear. From what I read it seems like they are both very similiar in visual size, although being only 5' 6" I don't want it to look ridiculously big on me or not have it fit right for my body (shorter arms/legs, longer torso). Right now I'm leaning towards the Tilopa BC, but if the Loka will be plenty big enough for me and I can save a little cash, then I may just get the Loka.

The biggest ICU I would probably get is the medium. Not sure with my gear if I would need the pro size? If I do get the shallow ICU do I have to worry about it moving back and forth in my bag if I don't have much other stuff in it? I was even thinking a medium shallow ICU + small pro ICU. Or should I just get pro for both?

On their site is the price bundle for bag + 2 ICU the same regardless of the ICU size?

Anyway sorry for the long thread, lol.. Advice would be appreciated.

Nov 10, 2013 at 09:40 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help me choose fstop backpack (Loka vs Tilopa BC) and ICU choices.

You didn't get much help here. The Tilopa is larger and the straps are better. If you are doing landscape, carrying a tripod and some other gear, the Loka may get too small quickly.
Give F stop a call, they are very helpful and can give you more advice.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help me choose fstop backpack (Loka vs Tilopa BC) and ICU choices.

Thanks for replying 3iron. I'm leaning towards the Tilopa, but just need to convince myself it's worth the higher price. Hard part is the ICU size, which I might just need to do more research or like you mentioned just give them a call.

With my current gear and grippless body, would I be able to fit all of my gear comforbly in a shallow medium ICU? would there be a benfit of getting the pro medium ICU?

From the pictures there seems to be quite a gap with the narrow ICU, is there something to lock the ICU in to prevent it from shifting front to back?

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help me choose fstop backpack (Loka vs Tilopa BC) and ICU choices.

I have worn both and personally i felt that the loka was much more comfortable than the tilopa. I am 6ft 200lbs. Athletic build 32 waist. The loka transfers the weight perfectly to my waist/hips and the tilopa just put more preasure on my shoulders

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password