Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

An Evening in the High Country

Colorado CJ
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An Evening in the High Country

I have been trying my hand at film photography for the past month or so since picking up an RB67 on ebay for cheap.

I spent yesterday hiking and taking some more photos with my medium format film camera. Shooting digital for so many years, I am very much enjoying the change of pace that shooting film offers. It puts you in a different, much more contemplative frame of mind. There is no "chimping" possible, and with only 10 frames to work with, you really have to slow down and wait for the perfect light.

Here is the first frame I scanned last night from the two rolls I shot. The photo was taken at Horseshoe Park in Rocky Mountain National Park close to sunset. The sun was setting just behind the mountain to the left, briefly lighting up the lone tree on the hill.

I intentionally didn't crop the film borders fully, I kind of like the effect of showing the film edge on some photos.

Taken with a Mamiya RB67 medium format camera on Foma 100 film. Developed in Xtol at 1:1.

I am setting up a darkroom in a spare bathroom and hope to make a wet print of this image

Horseshoe-Park----RMNP----RB67 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Nov 10, 2013 at 05:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An Evening in the High Country

I'm diggin' the film and MF ... I'm wanting to go down that road with my Graflex Century Graphic but just haven't gotten there yet.

As for the image, I keep getting drawn to the bright tonal areas and am a bit unsure what we're being drawn to. The contrast scale/mass/balance in the LRC, the water on the left edge and the expanse of the sky competes with the range/park a bit I'm thinking, so maybe a crop or other adjustment might help to draw the viewer where you really want them to go.

A bit of a crop off the sky and the foreground, and some USM tweaks for comparison.

Nov 11, 2013 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password