Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

jasoncallen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

I got my D800 earlier this week, and here are my initial impressions on file sizes:
-Whoa, these NEF files are awesome! SO MUCH DYNAMIC RANGE YAY!
-Hey cool, I get more shots by switching to 4x5 mode, and I can still shoot raw!
-Sweet, my old Sandisk Extreme class 10 SDHC cards work well for photos and stills
-Wow, these test shots are taking a while to transfer
-Um, these 43 photos are 1.43 GIGABYTES.
-Uhhhh, maybe this is a mistake? *double checks folder info* HOLY S***
-Well, hard drives are cheap, image quality is awesome... *starts pricing RAID enclosures for storage/backup*

For my usage, the file size and resolution of the D800 are an asset more than a hinderance. 1TB of storage is between $50 and $75.

My D700 was great for event work, and the D800 will be great for landscapes and portrait work. If I go back into shooting more high-volume stuff like weddings and corporate events, I'll pick up a used D3, D3s, or D4 for the smaller file size.

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:18 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

Early adopter, SOOC Jpeg shooter here. So smaller res. files are the norm. I'm usually
in 1.2 crop for the blistering 5 fps. Enjoying an obscene keeper rate handheld using
some of Nikon's best glass. Different strokes, but the D800's the best body I've shot with.
You tell me, if the IQ's up to snuff...

© riversbendphotography

© riversbendphotography

© riversbendphotography

© riversbendphotography

© riversbendphotography

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:55 AM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

jasoncallen wrote:
I got my D800 earlier this week, and here are my initial impressions on file sizes:
-Whoa, these NEF files are awesome! SO MUCH DYNAMIC RANGE YAY!
-Hey cool, I get more shots by switching to 4x5 mode, and I can still shoot raw!
-Sweet, my old Sandisk Extreme class 10 SDHC cards work well for photos and stills
-Wow, these test shots are taking a while to transfer
-Um, these 43 photos are 1.43 GIGABYTES.
-Uhhhh, maybe this is a mistake? *double checks folder info* HOLY S***
-Well, hard drives are cheap, image quality is awesome... *starts pricing RAID enclosures for storage/backup*

For
...Show more

WOW. You sure you are shooting 14 bit lossless compressed? sounds like uncompressed to me.. Though I never check..

Enjoy your new, amazing camera! Those files can't be beaten!

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:39 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

I use my D800e mostly for 1080P @30fps Video
When I shoot Landscapes, it is with Large, Fine, JPEGs
When I shoot Events, it is with Medium, Fine JPEGs

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Christian H
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

With distant wildlife where the surrounding landscape is simply too vast or otherwise uninteresting, I sometimes use the 1.5 DX mode (RAW).

golden morning by christianhunold, on Flickr

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

I had a possibly dumb question.

I know that one can shoot a 45MB raw file with the D800 and then crop it in PP and save as a jpg, but I want to know if there is a way to crop the raw file and retain it as a raw file, just a smaller version with fewer pixels. That way, if I am only interested in the middle third of the image, I can throw away the other pixels and keep only, say a 20MB raw file instead of the original 45MB raw file. This should be very useful, I would think, in dealing with the D800 file size storage issue, wouldn't it? Plus, you retain the flexibility of having the relevant portion of the original raw file in raw format without having to store all the unnecessary portions of the original image. I don't know if this possible or not.

Right now, essentially the camera can do this for you when you shoot in raw in DX mode, but my question is whether this can in effect be done after the fact.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

^^^ There's no way of doing this that I'm aware of -- the only option would be crop then save a TIFF file, but in comparison to NEF's, TIFF files are huge so you probably wouldn't save any space at all.

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

That's too bad... since the RAW file is a pixel-by-pixel capture of available photon number and energy, it would have been great if there was a way to just retain this information for the interesting pixels and delete it for the others.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:45 PM
SeBEx

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Any of you d800 shooters use smaller resolution?

I Have to say I find the D800 IQ to be VERY VERY good in both DX (1.5x) and 1.2x, so good in fact that I shoot 2 D800 and keep my still very good quality D3 as a back up

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.