Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Watermark feedback

wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Watermark feedback

I want to change my watermark to a more handwritten style since I watermark for different reasons than most people.

I watermark not to reserve rights and prevent image use (I actually put all my photographic work under Creative Commons CC-BY-SA, so I encourage people to freely reuse my work in an honest manner) but rather for the following reasons:
(1) I liken a watermark to an artistic signature on a painting.
(2) To make it easier for people to find the original source, contact me for high-resolution unwatermarked originals if they have an alternate plan for attribution, ask me questions, and find other images that came from the same set or context, since many of my sets are somewhat journalistic in nature and the context or theme of the set is of importance.

I used a print typeface watermark for a while but I found it to clash and detract from images. In terms of purpose (1) I want it to give personality to the image, not detract from it. A handwritten watermark blends in more like it does on a painting. So I want it to look somewhat like a signature, but to also serve purpose (2), it must be legible.

That said, I just wanted to ask you, a bunch of strangers, (a) if you find this handwriting watermark legible enough and (b) if you think this attains my goal of being non-detracting from the image. This isn't meant to be a plug, but asking friends isn't going to help since they know my name and web address a priori so they cannot give me an unbiased opinion.

Nov 10, 2013 at 08:48 AM
kroyston
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Watermark feedback

I like the classic look you're going for, it suits your photography well. Much better than some cheesy block letter, word art logo. That said I did have a hard time making out the 4th and 5th letter, but was able to find your site.

Then I noticed your avatar!

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Watermark feedback

Exactly. How can people find you if they can't read your watermark?

Why would they want to if they have to squint to read it?

You are on the right track but it needs to be less stylised.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · Watermark feedback

I had no problem reading it, but I do find it distractive. If it had been in red, maybe...

Brian A

Nov 10, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · Watermark feedback

I would agree that the script is hard to read. Also why not consider a border on your images and place the watermark on the border?

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wuxiekeji
• •
p.1 #6 · Watermark feedback

Camperjim wrote:
I would agree that the script is hard to read. Also why not consider a border on your images and place the watermark on the border?

Thanks for the comments! I'll redo the script to be a little clearer and find a good compromise; possibly make it semitransparent to make it less intrusive?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of borders -- they often ruin the experience especially on mobile devices where space is already constrained, and can often clash with the device's physical border since both black and white phones/tablets/monitors are both popular -- also reduces the effective resolution of your image ...

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Watermark feedback

I used a digital drawing tablet to sign my name, and have that saved on my computer. I just select the white signature, change the colour depending on the image, paste and move to desired position on image, then fade to where it is just visible, then flatten the image.

I disagree with your comments on borders. Just reduce the image size slightly to accommodate it fitting on the tablet. An image with a border almost always looks better than one without, IMO.

Nov 11, 2013 at 01:55 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · Watermark feedback

wuxiekeji wrote:
Personally I'm not a huge fan of borders -- they often ruin the experience especially on mobile devices where space is already constrained, and can often clash with the device's physical border since both black and white phones/tablets/monitors are both popular -- also reduces the effective resolution of your image ...

Can but only agree with that, and other people's choice of borders is rarely what mine would have been. Although they aren't as offensive as automatically played music on photo sites.

Brian A

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Watermark feedback

hugowolf wrote:
Although they aren't as offensive as automatically played music on photo sites.
Brian A

Totally.

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:39 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password