Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · digital print sizes???

jekmandco

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · digital print sizes???

My wife and I have some pictures we would like to have printed and then framed for family members of a trip we went on. Every time we talk about ordering the prints she says something along the lines of, "why dont we just order them in the digital print size". Which I have never really heard of before and dont ever quite understand what the heck she is trying to tell or explain it to me.

My first issue with this is that a fair amount of the pictures we want printed we have cropped. So I figure its going to throw any "digital print sizes" out the window... I also had them resized in PS to 14" on the long end of the photo and then a 1/2" border on them. We are shooting for as close to 11x14 size prints. I have an offer from a friend, who is an art prof at a local college, to just mat them for me to whatever size frame we get. Their suggestion was to just print them in whatever size you want, then mat it to fit the frame, instead of trying to find a frame built for that size.

So I guess I am asking if anyone here would have any clarification if this digital print size thing is for real, or if it was something made up to help sell prints, frames, etc...??

I am sorry my thoughts are so jumbled and probably dont make any sense, but I do appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Nov 09, 2013 at 08:02 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · digital print sizes???

There is no standard ‘digital’ print size. If you go for the best, pigment ink on high end archival paper, then in the US, the paper sizes are based on office sized paper: 8.5 x 11, 11 x 14, 11 x 17, and 11 x 22 inches. There is also the odd 13 x 19 inch paper size.

The standard dSLR aspect ratio is 3:2.

‘Standard’ frame sizes are based on century old larger format sizes of 4 x 5, 8 x 10, etc. The frames don’t fit paper sizes. In short, it is a mess.

I would look around at local framers and see what they will charge. Or look at online custom frames, for example: frameDestination.com.

The rest of the world have it a little better (but only a little) in that international paper sizes are closer to a 3:2 aspect ratio than archaic US sizes.

Brian A

Nov 09, 2013 at 08:38 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · digital print sizes???

If you have someone who can cut custom mats for you to fit whatever size frame you can buy locally that is the route I would go. You will have a very fine looking finished product at a very reasonable cost. Then you won't have to worry about what size the actual print comes to.

Nov 09, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · digital print sizes???

Ya, there's no such a thing as "digital print sizes". She's pulling a fast one on you. What did you do wrong that would make her wanna mess with you in this way?

Crop and print as you like!

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · digital print sizes???

Learn how to make your own digital mats and frames. You can make them any size you want and you never have to buy mats and frames. See my posting in this thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1239729/0?keyword=x#11807107

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.