Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

james.d53
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

I was reading a review of the DF by Mike Tomkins and the specs said max aperture of 1.8! Surely this is not correct. I thought the lens determined the aperture.

Any thoughts?

Nov 09, 2013 at 07:57 PM
LarryM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

Probably referring to the "kit" lens that ships with the camera. It's a 50mm f/1.8.

Do you have a link to this review?

Nov 09, 2013 at 08:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

That makes no sense. Does the reviewer represent Nikon engineering?

EBH

Nov 09, 2013 at 08:10 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

Aperture control on real lenses is ON the lens not in the camera, so this statement doesn't make much sense. Bjorn Rorslett shot with the NOCT, 50 f/1.2 and 35 f/1.4. Granted those are all MF Nikkors but this is simply silly.

Nov 09, 2013 at 08:18 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

LarryM wrote:
Probably referring to the "kit" lens that ships with the camera. It's a 50mm f/1.8.

Do you have a link to this review?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-df/nikon-dfA.HTM

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

This is a misunderstanding, he is referring to the 50/1.8 kit lens

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

The Df has a standard F-Mount, so nothing about it is mechanically different from other Nikon bodies. It sure looks amazing in Mike's hands.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-df/ZNIKONDF-INHAND1.JPG

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

mholdef wrote:
This is a misunderstanding, he is referring to the 50/1.8 kit lens

No. It say specifications. He is reviewing the camera body. I know that the lens controls the aperture in SLR's that interchangeable lenses, but I am reading specs on a body and when I see shutter speed and right below aperture, I can't help but think that the writer is referring to the camera body. He shouldn't have included aperture in the specs for the camera body. Should've been separate specs for lens. This is my opinion. It confuses the reader.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

Elan II wrote:
The Df has a standard F-Mount, so nothing about it is mechanically different from other Nikon bodies. It sure looks amazing in Mike's hands.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-df/ZNIKONDF-INHAND1.jpg

I personally love what I am seeing so far in this body. The FE was a great body and light weight and inconspicuous with a prime attached. I think that this will be a great fit also.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

james.d53 wrote:
No. It say specifications. He is reviewing the camera body. I know that the lens controls the aperture in SLR's that interchangeable lenses, but I am reading specs on a body and when I see shutter speed and right below aperture, I can't help but think that the writer is referring to the camera body. He shouldn't have included aperture in the specs for the camera body. Should've been separate specs for lens. This is my opinion. It confuses the reader.

No.... this is a misunderstanding... it's quite clear that the max aperture is referring to the Lens... the specifications also say: "Kit Lens: Non-Zoom 50mm (50mm eq.)"
and he lists the price as $3000 which is the cost of the kit. Have a look at some of the samples online, and while I don't KNOW of any shot with the Noct or the 50mm f1.2, I know there are a number with the 58mm f1.4 where you can see that the lens was shot @ f1.4, and it IS a G lens... so no way of setting the aperture from the lens itself.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

I used it with the new 58 1.4 and was able to shoot at 1.4...
So clearly it's a fault in the article.

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:41 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

playerofwar wrote:
I used it with the new 58 1.4 and was able to shoot at 1.4...
So clearly it's a fault in the article.

Thank you! I'm glad someone agrees that there is a problem with the article.

Nov 10, 2013 at 06:52 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

How do you like the camera?

Nov 10, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

The summary table is not exactly clear is it? However, with a little bit of mindreading, you can see the kit lens and therefore assume that the max aperture of that is 1.8.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:47 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

james.d53 wrote:

Maybe you should write to him so he can clarify. In any case I can assure you 100% the camera is not limited to 1.8. I tried it on Saturday with the new 58/1.4G

Mark

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM
bellyface
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

unless the Df has a built in aperture

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:01 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

Elan II wrote:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-df/ZNIKONDF-INHAND1.jpg

Looks lovely but does look like it is too small for his hands, especially that right hand of his, the fingers/grip just doesn't look comfortable to me. I know that the old film cameras never had the grip on the right side like the new dslrs have but I don't use a strap 99% of the time and like the "grip" to hand on to.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Max aperture of 1.8 on DF!

I think you should really change the subject of this thread --- very misleading.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.