New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pre-flight ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-flight ...

Found this guy "hiding" down in a ditch along side a country road (ironically named Falcon Rd). This was just before a combine came along and he flew off. I managed to get about 8-10 feet away before the combine showed up.

I figured he was protecting his kill, otherwise he'd have been gone before I got within a country mile. Very incremental movements as I approached ... about 35 minutes elapsed time between first sighted and this last shot. He was watching me, watching him ... slow step (zig-zagish, never directly toward), stop, wait, watch his eyes, watching mine to see how much of a threat I was. Repeat. I had just started trying to circle around more when the combine came along, so this is the front most angle I managed.

BTW, just for perspective ... notice the blue bug on the blade of grass in the LRC.

© Kent Southers 2013

Nov 09, 2013 at 07:19 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-flight ...

It's so nice you had to get a chance to view so close. Detail is excellent. What lens? Body?
Image would improve if his head was parallel to the sensor or some eye contact.
Scott

Nov 10, 2013 at 03:13 PM
gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-flight ...

Great shot!
Your patience and perseverance has paid off.
Greg

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-flight ...

Thanks guys ... yup at the experience of the proximity. I'm certainly no Dr. Doolittle or Jane Goodall, but I do enjoy when I can engage for more than a fleeting moment. Even without the pics, it was a rare opportunity to get that close. After that long of us watching each other, I we pretty sure he wasn't going anywhere unless I moved too abruptly. I was working my around for better comp angle when the combine came along.

Sigma 100-300/4 on Kodak SLR/C ... a couple of oldies, but goodies.
This is from the small jpg (I shoot RAW + small jpg). Looks like I blew out some whites ... will have to watch for that if I process the RAW.

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-flight ...

Very nice with great detail, difficult capture. It appears the bird is slightly over sharpened and the couple of small over exposure areas are not bothersome.

Nov 11, 2013 at 07:58 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-flight ...

I agree with Barbara. The over-exposure areas are essentially a non-issue. Unless you print.
Scott

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.