Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Boy, did I screw things up

Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boy, did I screw things up

In 2007 I bought an HP Z3100 APS printer, the one with a built-in spectrometer. The package came with an HP-branded Eye One Display 2 monitor calibrator, and HP software that integrated the printer and monitor calibration devices into the one software package.

The Eye One device stopped working properly a year and a half after getting it, apparently some optical gels inside the unit fade prematurely over time. But I made do.

Recently I bought a Dell U2713H led RGB display. I had called X-Rite to see about replacing the Eye One Display 2, based on the monitor I intended to buy and the printer I had, they recommended the Eye One Display Pro.

I was excited when I got the monitor. And even more so when the Eye One Display Pro arrived yesterday.

Unfortunately, in my excitement, I hadn't contacted HP or asked X-rite what steps I should take to install the new calibrator. I should have disconnected the old puck before installing the new software, I just didn't think of that before I began. I have it connected because the HP Z3100 software for calibrating and profiling the printer requires the old Eye One Display 2 to be physically attached to run the HP software. But I suspect it should have been disconnected before running the new x-rite installation software.

The end result was a mess. The new X-rite software got halfway through the installation and wouldn't complete. I called X-rite and a phone support person emailed me the latest version of the installation software 1.5.0 instead of the 1.1.1 that came with the Eye One Display Pro.

I didn't have much choice except to abort the installation of the older setup program using Windows task manager and to reboot. I tried uninstalling the X-rite software, and it kind of did, kind of didn't. When I called X-rite back, tech support was closed now until Monday.

Windows System restore said it could not return my system to the state it was in before I embarked on this upgrade. And

The online X-rite support site is virtually useless.

I've got the new unit working, but only with respect to calibrating in sRGB mode on the monitor.

But the software is only half working, the X-rite Display Manager Control applet doesn't appear in the Windows Control Panel anywhere, and the new I1 Display software running in the taskbar, doesn't recognize that I have a HP Z3100 APS - although the printer is listed.

It's just a big ugly mess.

So this is just a warning post. I should have contacted both organizations and had them send me detailed step by step instructions so everything would work right.

As it is, I suspect I now have to format my hard drive and reinstall Windoze. I'll wait until Monday and see what X-rite and HP have to say about it all.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
BobCollette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boy, did I screw things up

I've never used the HP software, however the i1 Display 2 and the newer i1 Display Pro are both colorimeters. While they can calibrate a display very well (when they're working properly), they can't be used for calibrating or characterizing a printer. For that, you need to use a spectrophotometer.

If you can't uninstall the HP software (which should be done before installing the newer X-Rite software), you could try reinstalling the HP software (with just the old colorimeter connected). After it's installed, then you should be able to uninstall it and install the new software.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boy, did I screw things up

Shutterbug,

I wish you the best. I am not familiar with your HP printer and I don't have the Dell U2713H but I have been reading about that monitor for some time. Here are my suggestions, for what they're worth:

- I suspect your biggest problem may be with the special hardware calibration utility that Xrite makes for Dell for the U2713H. Having seen some posts in the Dell forums, that utility seems to be a little finicky even under normal circumstances. I doubt if it will conflict with the HP software print calibration software but it may not like seeing previous remnants of Xrite utilities that HP installed for the Eye-one puck.

- I would make sure that I had completely uninstalled the previous HP software related to the Eye one puck. I believe that HP refers to this as "APS". Any software related to the printer calibration and profiling ("ESP") should be OK, as long as those utilities aren't one and the same.

- If you get the feeling that the Uninstall process is not completely removing previous software, you may want to try Revo Uninstaller. It has been a long time since I have used it but many people like it for making sure that all components of old software gets uninstalled. To get the best results, you may want to install Revo, then re-install the old software (so Revo can monitor what was installed), and then have Revo uninstall the old software.

- Make sure you have the latest Dell/Xrite hardware calibration software from the Dell site.

When you get a chance, I would really like to hear your impressions of the U2713H. I have read great things about it mixed with some horror stories.

Nov 10, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boy, did I screw things up

I read up a little more on your printer. Apparently, the APS software handles both the monitor profiling and calibration as well as the printer profiling and calibration. I doubt if it will use your new Display Pro correctly since even the most updated version of the APS software is probably older that the newer Display Pro pucks. Returning the Display Pro for a new and functioning Display 2, assuming that would be possible, would probably not be a perfect solution either since that puck is reported to not be ideal for LED monitors like the 2713H.

So I think your best bet is going to be to try to continue to use the APS software for your printer calibration and profiling and use the new Display Pro software for the monitor calibration and profiling and hope there aren't conflicts between the two.

The U2713H comes with a special, hardware calibration utility that calibrates the monitor directly in hardware. Hopefully, that might reduce the chance that it will conflict with the APS software.

If you do encounter conflicts, you could just make sure that you have only one utility installed at any one time, possibly using multiple Windows profiles or MSconfig to do that.

One thing you might want to be careful with: I read some notes on APS that seem to indicate that that software uses your original Eye One Display 2 as a hardware key for the APS software activation. If that's true, you don't want to throw out the old puck, even if it is no longer accurate, since you may not be able to use the APS software without it.

In terms of additional help, I think I would try X-rite first, although I would suggest asking for a tech with experience with APS. It looks likely to me that Xrite engineers did the APS software, even though it may show HP branding. You could ask if there is any way to get the APS software to work with your new Display Pro but I would be surprised if there is.

Nov 10, 2013 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password