New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom 5.2 - problem with loupe on 2nd monitor

jim bennett
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 5.2 - problem with loupe on 2nd monitor

So I have been noticing this for a while and it's bugging me so I thought I would post to see if anyone else has noticed this. What is happening is that the loupe view on the 2nd monitor doesn't always, in fact most often than not, will not come into sharp focus. It almost looks like the image is slightly out of focus on the loupe view on the 2nd monitor only.

The primary monitor where Lightroom is running looks fine on the loupe view. Occasionally the loupe view on the 2nd monitor will rack into sharp focus on the loupe, but usually it wont. I can usually get it to come into focus by toggling between two thumbnails along the bottom of the primary monitor also.

If I move Lightroom to the other monitor and repeat the test, the slightly out of focus blurry look moves to the other monitor, so its not a monitor issue. It is some kind of Lightroom bug.

Anyone else out there notice this? I am using 2 LG IPS LED monitors, one is a 27 and one is a 23.

Nov 08, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 5.2 - problem with loupe on 2nd monitor

I use two Dell U2711 monitors. And I don't have your problem. So it's not a LR bug

Nov 09, 2013 at 04:47 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 5.2 - problem with loupe on 2nd monitor

In my opinion it is an Lr bug - just one that not many people are seeing because relatively few people use two screens for Lr. Then again, such is true of nearly all bugs - if they were repeatable and permanent and widespread for all users and all hardware then they would be found and fixed long before beta testing or final release.

The Adobe 2nd screen support is somewhat iffy, and gets more so as the graphics load increases (pixel count).

In my case I am using a 17" Apple MBP with an NEC PA217W as the second screen for Lr. The key point is that both screens are used by Lr. At times I make edit changes in Lr and they do not show up at all on the second screen. At other times they eventually show up after seconds or minutes of delay. And very rarely - or if I make another tweak and undo it - the result shows up quickly and looks great.

The easiest work around at this stage is to just use your best screen for Lr and use the other one for non-Lr stuff. Then no matter what the resolution it seems to work quickly. You could even stretch Lr to work across both screens if the sizes are compatible but don't let Lr think that you have what it regards as a "second screen" for displaying certain images while you are editing them.

- Alan

Nov 09, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 5.2 - problem with loupe on 2nd monitor

I use two screens all the time. And it works for me. Maybe you have to little memory or your graphic card or it's memory can't handle it.

Nov 09, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 5.2 - problem with loupe on 2nd monitor

Lars, the fact that people such as yourself have no issue with it just makes it more frustrating for us. You may well be right about the card memory but even a big monitor only has 4-5 Mpx, requiring up to 15MB in the card (one byte per colour per pixel) to store the entire content. It would take lots more memory to hold buffers for fluid motion work but for static images practically any card should do - and if it wouldn't then Adobe could easily have found a little laptop to test it on and see the problem. Mine has 512MB or 1024MB depending on whether I use the Intel graphics or the discreet AMD card. It will happily run two monitors with different stuff on each (e.g. Lr on one and a spreadsheet or web browser on the other) so long as Lr is not treating one as its first screen and the other as its second screen. The problem is not card specific, not monitor specific, not computer specific, but those of us who have it can repeat it easily within a very short time. Maybe it's something to do with Open GL or whatever, but in such a case I'd still expect Adobe to find the link in their testing.

One trouble with buying laptops is the restriction on upgrading things like graphics capability but I can't do much about that now.

- Alan

Nov 09, 2013 at 03:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.