Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is something going on with my 5d mk1 (focusing/centering)?

jvphotos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is something going on with my 5d mk1 (focusing/centering)?

So I got this camera a couple months ago from keh (ex+ condition) and have since tried a few lenses on it in a few different circumstances (though I haven't had a chance to go through a lot of my pics yet... I've been super slammed at work lately).

Anyway, I did a few quick focus tests on it and I noticed that when I use the center focus point in the camera and then load them into CS6, the program says the center of the pic is a bit lower than the spot where I put the center focus point. That doesn't bother me a whole lot (as long as it focuses where I want it to), but I'm not sure if that's usual. I'm also not entirely sure it's focusing where it needs to be. Here are a couple screen grabs I got with my 85 1.8 and my 35 f2 IS (each taken with the lens pretty close to the minimum focus distance).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/spotch/5d35f2_zps48d722f7.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/spotch/5dcenterfocus_zps9229dff0.png

Your expert diagnosis? Am I having some focus issues as well as the slightly-lower-than-center-"centering" thing?

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is something going on with my 5d mk1 (focusing/centering)?

It's very difficult to get accurate focus at the place you want on an inclined plane. Have a look online for LensAlign II, which is what I use for AF microadjustments on my gear. The target you focus on is vertical (parallel to the sensor plane), and it has high contrast target gizmos for the camera AF to lock on. You use the scale on the inclined plane to determine where the plane of focus is, with respect to the vertical target. You wouldn't get reliable and repeatible results by shooting only the inclined plane.

What you show looks pretty good, but it's not possible to determine where the camera thinks zero is located. Chances are that you'd agree a lot more with the camera if you had a more certain focus target.

Nov 08, 2013 at 06:32 PM
jvphotos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is something going on with my 5d mk1 (focusing/centering)?

Thanks, I'll look into getting that lens align kit.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.