Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Perforance issues with LR 5.2 and my laptop??

JamieK

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Perforance issues with LR 5.2 and my laptop??

Kind of getting back into the swing of things photography related..

I am currently set up with a Dell Precision P6600 laptop with the following stats:
i7-2640m quad core processor 2.80Ghz
4.00GB Ram
Quadro 3000M video card
256Gig Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 6G/s drive
Windows system score is 7.1 (lowest score is processor)

Images: same 256Gig drive in a new USB3 enclosure. The LR library is also on the SSD
LR Cat file is 838 megs
Preview folder is 285 megs
I have only 3 folders imported into the LR library at this point, totaling about 10gigs of RAW+JPG images.

I just did a FRESH Win7 64bit installation on a new Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD drive. Very pleased with overall system performance.

I installed Lightroom 5.2 and plugged in my USB3 drive and LR performed decently. Using my wacom tablet, I noticed that there is a slight delay as I draw using the adjustment brush, but not bad. For a couple days the perforamance was quite acceptable.

Then last night I was editing some images and the performance just dropped to a CRAWL - 5+ seconds between making slider changes to seeing it on screen.

I realize having 4 gigs of RAM is not ideal and I play to bump it up to 16.. but is this awful performance going to go away with more RAM?

The images I'm editing to have quite a few edits - 3 families with basic teeth whitening, eyes brightened and 3 typical teenagers needing blemish retouching.

Any advice would be appreciated on how to get the system performing well. Should I put all the images and LR catalog on the HDD?

It seems a bit odd to me that only including about 10gigs of images nets a catalog that is nearly 1 gig in size.. is that normal?

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help me.

Jamie

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Perforance issues with LR 5.2 and my laptop??

OK Ive just looked at my LR cat file size and its 857mb . but I have 500gb (ish) of images on my external drive .
Maybe yours has loads more edits in than mine

but you dont have to move ALL your images onto the Hard drive of your laptop . why not move the files your currently working on and then move them back when your done . ?

also for alot of edits you dont need the Actual RAW (or jpeg) to be present in LR5 . if you create Smart previews then you dont have to have the external drive connected to our laptop .
smart prevs are compressed lossy DNG files of a lower res than the original . they maybe lower res but in general there is more than enough res to do most edits . even on my 27" mac screen they still look good . the only things you shouldnt do on Smarts are stuff like Sharpenening and NR . and also if your zooming in to 1:1 all the time then they are probably not the best idea .

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:55 PM
JamieK

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Perforance issues with LR 5.2 and my laptop??

wow.. I wonder if there is something that I have setup within LR that is causing my cat file size to be so big?

- after I import a folder of images into LR from my portable drive, if I move them to the HDD and edit them, won't LR lose where they are? seems like a pain to move for edits, then move back.

- I did start with smart previews, but thought that because I had been auto-generating them, perhaps that was bogging my system down, so I shut them off.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong that has the performance all hosed up.

Nov 08, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Perforance issues with LR 5.2 and my laptop??

JamieK wrote:
wow.. I wonder if there is something that I have setup within LR that is causing my cat file size to be so big?

dont know . it does seem quite large for only 10gig of images .
someone else on here (alan? ) might know what makes the LRcat grow .

- after I import a folder of images into LR from my portable drive, if I move them to the HDD and edit them, won't LR lose where they are? seems like a pain to move for edits, then move back.

No , as long as you do the moves from WITHIN LR it knows where all you images are .
I personally have a folder (called 'to be worked') thats on my internal drive . I import to this folder and work the images . once ive done most/all the work I move them off to my USB3 external images drive.
I did start off thinking I would have all of this years images on the internal drive and would move them come the turn of the year . but decided against it .

- I did start with smart previews, but thought that because I had been auto-generating them, perhaps that was bogging my system down, so I shut them off.

you only have to generate them once . again I let LR do this at import . yes the import time is longer but it doesnt stop me starting to go thru my images while the later ones in the set are being 'smarted'

Ive come to like Smarts quite a bit. they allow me to take my LR with me so I can do some work on my images while im at work on my work laptop . I copy my LRcat and the smart preview file to a USB3 memory stick . I can then go thru my images and do what I want . when I get back I just have to copy back the LRcat file (so it overwrites the one on my imac) and my LR is good to go . the smart previews on the thumb drive can be deleted (you dont need to copy those back over)

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong that has the performance all hosed up.

I dont know . have you tried 'Optimizing' your catalogue ? maybe that would reduce its size . (just a thought)

Nov 08, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Perforance issues with LR 5.2 and my laptop??

I did not notice any mention of your ACR cache, which is quite separate from your Lr preview cache. You want it much bigger than the default 10GB and you want it on your SSD. I suggest you just clear it and set Lr to use a new one so that it will start out empty.

Second and subsequent visits to the Develop module with any image will load faster if the partial raw conversion data is still in the ACR cache (which is where the size and location come in handy). Otherwise Lr will have to reload the entire raw file data from the original image files on the slow HDD.

If you want to speed up edits in the Library module and still see what you're doing then you need bigger previews at least until you are done with editing. Otherwise Lr will have to create them as needed and for that it needs to do a raw conversion and therefore needs the stuff in the ACR cache.

You'll get another performance boost if edits are not stored in .xmp files but are only stored in the Lr catalog. Just be sure to back up the catalog often (like every session) and make sure that you copy it to other drives without relying solely on Lr backing up to the same location as the original.

Some edits (e.g. healing) gobble up resources. Many (e.g. exposure tweaks) do not. There is no way around this except to time it right so that you are not wasting time editing images that don't matter, and do the resource hogging stuff after you have done the basic and speedy things.

Once images have been imported into Lr, never move them or rename them except by using Lr to do it. That takes longer but it prevents Lr losing the plot. An alternative is to rename and relocate them with a program such as Downloader Pro before you import them into Lr. Even if you use .xmp sidecar files for each image, not all catalog data is in those files (e.g membership in collections).

Also, it pays to have them on the main storage (or SSD) rather than in the card reader or other slow storage when you are editing them.

My process is something like this:
- Transfer image files to computer
---- if Downloader pro is available (Windows only appllcation) then rename files as required and put them where required. Otherwise renaming will be done in Lr.
- Import into Lr
- Build 1:1 previews while I do something else
- Initial tweaks such as major exposure corrections and culling in the Library module for greater speed (augmented as required with visits to other software to assess AF performance because it may look sus and because Lr cannot show me the active AF points)
- Subsequent work in the Develop module for better histogram display and controls
- Optimum capture sharpening applied as late as possible to minimise impact on speed. Sometimes sharpening needs to be done to facilitate other work and sometimes it hardly matters because the image already looks good.
- Ratings and keywords applied in the Library module
- Files relocated in the library module according to ratings or other criteria
- Build smart previews if and when I intend to work away from the main storage
- any further edits done in the Develop module some time later

My catalog and previews and smart previews live in my laptop (+backups)
My library of images lives externally but still on speedy storage (+backups)
I have lots of backups for what experience has taught me over and over again is good reason.

- Alan

Nov 09, 2013 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password