Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Joe Marquez
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

In case anyone is interested in any of these three cameras in the streets of New York, here is my brief write up and a few images over on Steve Huff's site. Thanks.

Link

Nov 08, 2013 at 11:50 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Nice shots as usual. The V1 with its slightly hard/gritty files just works so well for B&W street shooting.

Ever work with the DP Merrill's ? I ended up replacing my GR with the DP1m, and while it meant giving up some of the pocetability and higher ISO performance (although monochrome high ISO on the Sigma actually has a cool look and tonality) the overall gain in IQ was worth the tradeoff.

When I want fast response and/or true pocket size I pair them with the RX100 and/or the V1.

Those cameras excel in terms of always with you size (RX100) and quick response (V1) and where they are weak(er), image quality, the Merrill is a real beast

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Thanks for your input millsart. No never used the DP1m. Gets high praise, but does it better the Rx1? The V1 is always the underdog but seems to deliver the goods and the combination of reach and quickness makes it a bit more enjoyable to me than the Rx100.

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:06 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Its tough to compare it to the RX1, because everyone factors different variables into their meaning of "better"

As far as pure resolution goes, IMO it is better, as it resolves a lot finer detail, and as good as the 35mm Sonnar is across the frame, the 30mm lens on the DP2m is again, "better" as its so well corrected with zero distortion and flawless edge to edge sharpness.

Renders pretty nice too with its 9 blades, but doesn't do the Zeiss "look", which again is a matter of taste.

In terms of things like high ISO performance though, it doesn't measure up. Its pretty much a low ISO camera, at least in color. Doesn't have the same DR etc either.

Comes up short in a low of ways aside from resolution and cost (you could get 3 of them for the price of the Rx1) but for the money, it proves to be a pretty valuable, and specific tool.

Its not a general purpose camera, but, you can pick one up for under $700 these days, and if your okay with spending that amount of money for something that excels at one purpose, then its a pretty great value.

Here is a full resolution image between the DP2m and the RX1, with the added Sony resolution making up for the difference in reach basically.

RX1 is the bottom left, the Sigma files (with various levels of sharpening) are the remainder.

Just look at fine structure such as the fire escape on the right side of the frame, or the brick pattern on the one building.

Also look at more distant subjects, the Merrill's seem to be less affected by atmospheric conditions or something along those lines because they can render distant subjects with the same fine detail and nearer ones, where any other camera, even my D800, kind of goes to mush towards the horizon

Click for full size

http://eiji.net/blog/pic/DSC-RX1_DP2_Merrill_compare.jpg

Image was taken from this gentleman's blog, which is worth checking out, http://eiji.net/blog/index.php/2012/12/22/3769/

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Thanks for showing me this comparison. The DP2m is quite impressive.

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:54 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

DP's are impressive, but they are specialty cameras. I have older DP1's and DP2. I didn't sell them due to IQ but they are sitting in the closet esp when there are other good interchangeable systems available that are easier/enjoyable to use. RX1 reminded me a DP's due to slowness ...

The Sigma sensor is more film like but layered color sensor structure needs lots of light and doesn't do good w/ mixed light either. The fixed lenses are good, but on the slow side so it doesn't help much esp when there is no evf to stabilize.

There is a studio comparison of DP2M w/ new A7R in dpreview Sigma forum which shows how good is Sigma sensor is:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52452769

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:22 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

millsart - what's going on with the different colors in the glass behind the fire escape in the rx1 image? is that an artifact or is that more representative of the scene?

with regard to the dp1 showing more clarity at longer distances, that's because of processing i'm afraid. the d800 images aren't like that because things really do get blurrier the farther away they are. my understanding is that the sigma does a fair bit of processing similar (but more advanced) to the clarity function in lightroom. it sounds like sony is trying to do something similar with their latest jpeg engine for the a7(r). hopefully only in jpeg.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:28 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Definitely have to think of the DP's as specialty tools and more so, be willing to not only pay the price for a limited usage item, but also not try to make them into something they aren't.

Its like buying a dedicated macro lens for a DSLR, or I guess these days mirrorless camera. Its going to cost you probably $500+, its probably not going to be that fast, nor is it going to be fast to focus. However, when you've got the right (and small) subject, they work fantastic

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:37 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

I didn't feel comfortable with the DP Merrills though the files were quite nice. I was leaning towards keeping the DP1M (close range files really looked good!) since I am a sucker for 28mm lenses/lensors/cameras. When comparing the DP1M and the GR I found the GR was simply put good enough to not bother with the DP1M anymore. I personally think the GR handles a lot better. Very pleased with it.

There were a few instances where I thought the DP1M were producing superb files but all in all the sluggishness of the camera and the poor medium to high ISO performance made me part with it.

The DP2M was also very nice (apart from the same drawbacks as the DP1M, battery life, mid ISO and up and sluggishness) yet both Merrills produced files that seemed like they would print very well.

I don't have any hopes for a Ricoh GR 40mm f2 but I would welcome one.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:38 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

kosmoskatten wrote:
I didn't feel comfortable with the DP Merrills though the files were quite nice. I was leaning towards keeping the DP1M (close range files really looked good!) since I am a sucker for 28mm lenses/lensors/cameras. When comparing the DP1M and the GR I found the GR was simply put good enough to not bother with the DP1M anymore. I personally think the GR handles a lot better. Very pleased with it.

There were a few instances where I thought the DP1M were producing superb files but all in all the sluggishness of the camera and the poor medium to high
...Show more

Even though the GR and DP1m share the same battery and have the same focal lengths they are pretty darn different to say the least.

GR is much easier to carry on account of it actually fitting into a pocket. DP's are light at under a pound but more something to slip into your camera bag or a coat pocket.

GR is also the type of camera you'd want to always have with you, for day to day photo ops while the DP is something you bring specifically when your out to take photos

Shooting style also plays a big part of it, if your style is to get in front of some people, engage in conversation and snap some quick pics, GR is great. DP would be pretty frustrating for that.

In some ways I actually find the DP's to be a very responsive camera though. The AF isn't that quick, about on par with the RX1 etc, but the overall operation is so basic its actually really speedy.

The up arrow is AF/MF switch. The left/right arrows are exposure comp and the thumb wheel around the shutter is Av value (assuming your shooting in Av mode anyways) and that is really it as far as controls goes.

There is a quick menu that lets you select ISO, WB, Drive Mode and Metering but as far as deep options and lots of bells and whistles....won't find it on the Sigma's, they are as bare bones as it gets

With nothing to get in the way they are kind of quick though, as its basically just point, then shoot. Write times are long, and LCD isn't great so I hardly even review shots until I get home. If in manual focus mode there really is no shutter lag to speak of either.

Walking around with a Merrill reminds me of back in the days when I'd throw a roll of chrome into an old MF Mamiya 645 and wander around shooting stuff that I thought might look cool.

Makes it kind of fun to get home and review the days shots, and pour over the fine detail and see what you didn't realize was eve there, such as the fine spider webs on a flower you shot etc

Fun stuff and a nice change of pace

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:32 PM
Emacs
• •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Joe Marquez wrote:
In case anyone is interested in any of these three cameras in the streets of New York, here is my brief write up and a few images over on Steve Huff's site. Thanks.

Link

Hmm, personally, I found them quite boring.
But this one had a great potential IMO. Portrait orientation without cutting poster's head would bring much deeper story in this shot (now it's only a photo of three people sitting somewhere, nothing interesting).

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:54 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Merrill color is also quite unique, rendering a very true to life vibrancy. Back lit leaves for example, are something that always looks great to the naked eye, yet never seemed to reproduce well in photographs. Shot this just while walking out to get the mail this afternoon and when viewing on a 27" iMac display at 100% its like looking out a window.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/7074/aqbd.jpg

Nov 08, 2013 at 07:05 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

In low light street shooting the RX1 has a definite advantage with faster lens and bigger sensor.B&W jpegs out of camera are excellent too.
Like your images over in the Sony forum in getdpi.
Maybe you can post some of your rx1 shots here in the RX1 thread?

Nov 09, 2013 at 01:05 PM
evilgeniusdan

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

To add to this discussion, I'm living in NYC and currently own only two cameras. The RIcoh GR, and the Sigma DP2M. Each serves their purpose: the GR is great for its speed, low light, and versatility. The Sigma is perfect for fine art, paced photography. Plus they share the same batteries. And you can have both with money to spare for less than an RX1.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ricoh GR, Sony Rx1 and Nikon V1 in New York.

Millsart: in case there was any question about it: I really liked the DP1M (and DP2M). Sure, people argue that they "fake" the resolution and "clarity" but in reality they look great and probably print really well.

I was at the risk of falling into the "small-cam-hoarder-minimal-usage-cenophobic-kinsman" (aka S.C.H.M.U.C.K) syndrome category so I decided I'd better let the Merrills go and concentrate my efforts on the GXR and the GR. Having similar menu systems makes for easy transitions between cameras. I also got rid of the Fuji X10 for the same reasons.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.