New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ND Gel Recommendations for AB800

Albino_BlacMan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND Gel Recommendations for AB800

So I bought some AB800's... Turns out I really needed AB400's because I have to use these turned down all the way and sometimes that's even too much.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for ND Gels to put on them. Is there anything I should be looking for? Anything I should be getting to mount them on the AB's or do the little clips they supply work well?

Thanks,
Chris

Nov 08, 2013 at 10:41 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND Gel Recommendations for AB800

Get ND gel by the sheet from your local theatrical/lighting supply store. It comes in 1-stop increments and should be <$10 per sheet.

I made frames for mine out of scrap mat board and use binder clips to hold them to the front of the 7" reflectors.

If you make a 1- and a 2- stop filter for each light you'll have enough combinations to cover almost every eventuality.

<Chas>

Nov 08, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND Gel Recommendations for AB800

Okay, new problem, if I use them in a softbox than how do I get the gels to fit over the modelling light?

Nov 08, 2013 at 11:07 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND Gel Recommendations for AB800

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
Okay, new problem, if I use them in a softbox than how do I get the gels to fit over the modelling light?

You clip the ND gel sheet to the inner diffusion panel, not against the modeling light at all.

<Chas>

Nov 08, 2013 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.