New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

Overall a much better looking camera, much more 'DSLR', the older looks quite minimalist and 'hybrid' by comparison. Better body material also on the later one.

Olympus is going with taller/bigger/more spread dials and controls and a bigger grip, Sony with a large grip and fewer dials but well-integrated, and Nikon with lots of dials and less grip. Go figure. Something for everyone maybe.

Nov 08, 2013 at 11:40 PM
bpark42
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

Jman13 wrote:
Yes, Fuji's base ISO is much cleaner than the E-M1's. The E-M1 still has very good image quality, but there is a fine grained noise even at base ISO. Overall, it doesn't impact prints until you start getting really big, and has no impact on screen viewing, so it's not a big deal, but it is there.

It is worth noting that the E-M1's new LOW ISO setting appears to be noticeably cleaner than ISO 200. There is a tradeoff here in dynamic range of course, but I am very happy with the output when using LOW.

Jman13 wrote:
IBIS works really well, as you'll see below, but again, like the E-P5, shutter shock seems to be a concern from about 1/50s to 1/160s. Don't know what they did to the IBIS with this iteration, but I never have this issue with my E-M5 (or if I do, it's so imperceptible as to be essentially invisible). With the E-P5 and now the E-M1, I'm having shots physically blurred by the IS due to shutter shock in these shutter ranges.

I haven't done enough testing to encounter this yet, but you may want to experiment with the anti-shock settings.

Nov 09, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

Yeah, I know about the anti-shock. The only time I really need to use it on my E-M5 is with lower shutter speeds on the 75-300. Something about the longer focal length requires it.

Even if the 1/8 sec anti-shock works, it's still annoying when it crops up, as I don't want to have a built in shutter delay...it hurts in catching the decisive moment. Luckily, while I have seen shutter shock more on the E-M1 than my E-M5, it's much better than the E-P5, which was terrible in that shutter range.

Some shots from today at higher ISO.

ISO 1000:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/chloe_blue.jpg

ISO 1600:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/poseidon_em1.jpg

ISO 3200:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xander_stoic.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/chloe_cosi.jpg

And a grab shot at ISO 10,000:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/chloe_10000.jpg

Nov 09, 2013 at 11:57 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

ISO 3200 looks really impressive! Any NR applied?

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

A little bit, but not much. About 10 on the luminance NR slider in Lightroom on the 1600 shot, and 13 luminance on the ISO 3200 shots. I generally use 10 on my m4/3 images on import (takes the fine noise out of the sky without impacting detail). The ISO 10000 shot has 20 luminance in LR applied. Nothing else.

Nov 10, 2013 at 09:46 AM
BrianLLP

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

from my impressions with the em-1 thus far is that around base iso to around 800, noise is the same as em-5. From there on there has been an improvement in higher ISO. ISO 3200 looks like iso 1600 from the em5 IMHO.

The em-1 focuses faster, handles better, and is overall a much improved machine from the em5. There are so many tiny improvements from the em5.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

Just saw from SAR's m43 site that the FD Speedboster won't fit on the EM1.

In a somewhat related issue I bought a Kipon TC adapter for m43 and it won't fit on the EM5 for the same reason (top EVF bulge)

Mike

Nov 10, 2013 at 01:12 PM
tyrepeddler
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

Saw that also what a shame
Maybe they will make one for the E-M1

Nov 10, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

I tested the continuous AF today. Not up to pro DSLR standards, but by far the best I've used on a mirrorless camera. When my daughter was running full bore straight at me, about 50% were in perfect focus (until she got to about 10 feet away, where it began to fail). Running towards, but off at a slight angle, hit rate was about 80% in perfect focus.

So, not outstanding, but you'll certainly get some good shots now. With more normal tracking action, is imagine it would do quite well.

Nov 10, 2013 at 05:10 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

^ What lens was used in that test?

Nov 10, 2013 at 06:55 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

Is this shutter shock really that prevalent? It's a shame if it is. Back when I used Canon DSLRs, I noticed a lot of double images from mirror vibration so I know the feeling of disappointment when it crops up. With the advent of these mirrorless cameras, some of us thought double images were a thing of the past. At least with NEX cameras, we had electronic first curtain to minimize it. Hearing so much about shutter shock in m43 cameras makes me worry about the new A7r, which doesn't have electronic first curtain. It really is too bad we can't have a mirrorless camera with leaf shutter lenses.

Nov 10, 2013 at 07:38 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

I've run my EM1 through some basic testing to look for the "shutter shock" effect and thus far it's not there. I use the shutter release on "short" so who knows. I'm also finding the shooting at ISO100 to be quite desirable. Unless I'm shooting in a truly dynamic scene where there is a large discrepancy between light and dark I'll shoot there. From 100% view there is NO noise generated at that ISO sky or otherwise, so I enjoy that. Needless to say the build is rock solid, and the plethora of adjustments available at the push of a button of flip of a switch is near dizzying. I prefer also to keep the grip on. Just love the way the setup fits in my hands. At this point unless I'm shooting far distant subjects the 12-40 f2.8 will stay on the body. I'm compared closely shots I had taken often of static subjects in my area. The EM1 is without a doubt producing files that are crisper and the color seems more consistent. I'm also noting perhaps as much as 1 stop improvement in the IBIS for my handholding experience. Battery life is certainly nothing to be concerned about thus far. I typically use the amazing viewfinder most of the time as well. For me this was a sensible upgrade. I even considered going FF with the D610 or 6D but after playing with them at a few dealers, I just couldn't see needing huge files when my largest prints are 22x17, and the EM! will easily meet that need. It is so much more portable in the end.

Nov 10, 2013 at 08:02 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

cputeq wrote:
^ What lens was used in that test?

Panasonic 35-100/2.8. Here's one of my favorites from the sequence. This is the 7th frame in the run. She was running in a full bore sprint at me.

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/chloe_run.jpg

As to shutter shock, I'm seeing it less on the E-M1 than on the E-P5, which was really bad. The E-M1 seems to have it affect things a little more often than I see it on my E-M5 (which is near never except with the 75-300), but it's not too bad.

Nov 10, 2013 at 08:11 PM
you2
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

So which do you prefer; the EM-1 high resolution EVF or the EM-5 super bright EVF (and since preference might differ dependent on location; please quality when you prefer one to the other if needed )

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:31 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

you2 wrote:
So which do you prefer; the EM-1 high resolution EVF or the EM-5 super bright EVF (and since preference might differ dependent on location; please quality when you prefer one to the other if needed )

The E-M1's EVF is brighter than the E-M5's. On default, it's pretty dim, but adjusting brightness in the menu setup brings it to a point where it's brighter than my E-M5's. In any case, the E-M1's EVF is the best on the market, bar none. It's huge, bright, clear, with essentially no lag, even in low light. IMO, there's not a single way the E-M5's EVF is better. And I like the E-M5's EVF a lot.

On a separate note, which of these shots of a wet E-M1 do you prefer? I can't decide which one I'm going to use when I write my review. (I like the angle of the first, and the details and amount of water visible better on the second.)

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/em1_wet.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/em1_wet2.jpg

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:45 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

2nd shot. First shot too head-on.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:57 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

1st shot. Love the non-distracting b/g blur.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

See...there's my dilemma!

Here's a third...a variation on the first shot, but with a slightly better angle (can see OM-D more clearly), though I focused very slightly further back (FD 200/2.8+speed booster), which makes the water on the front right of the camera slightly out of focus (d'oh!)

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/em1_wet3.jpg

Edited on Nov 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

Jman13 wrote:
See...there's my dilemma!

Compromise - open both as layers in Photoshop, and put the 1st's background as the 2nd's
, then use the 2nd

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · OM-D E-M1 Rolling Impressions

The second one is nicer if you want to show the weathersealing. You see all the water on top of the buttons and dials.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.