New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

I need to setup my D3s for doing studio portrait sessions on a tripod. I would like to use an RSS L Bracket and a decent head. Looking for specific recommendations. Thanks.

B

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:40 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

As I look at the RRS L-bracket I wonder if it is designed to quickly switch from landscape to portrait orientation or if you have to disconnect it to move it from one to the other? It is hard to tell from the photos on the web site.
\B

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:55 AM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

i think the pictures show it pretty well. You screw the L plate on & switch between portrait & landscape orientation as necessary. As for a head, ballhead or what?

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:59 AM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

I had a RRS L brackets on both my D3s and they are great. I have now moved onto the D4 and the same bracket does fit. I know they are expensive well they are here in the UK but you get what you pay for. I also have one on my X PRO 1. The company are great to talk to and very helpful.

Charles.

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:10 AM
cebseb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

blutch wrote:
I need to setup my D3s for doing studio portrait sessions on a tripod. I would like to use an RSS L Bracket and a decent head. Looking for specific recommendations. Thanks.

B

RRS for both the L bracket and the ball head. I've tried several of the other brands (Sunwayfoto and the like) and nothing really compares to the quality and the customer service of RRS.

BH55 for the head (go big or go home). Might be over-kill for usual studio use, but just in case you happen to come across some big glass for a studio shoot (200 f2 for example), you won't have any doubts about support.

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:19 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

I'm still not clear if with this bracket you can just slide the camera from one position to the other. Can someone verify that?

As much as I would like the BH55 bracket, I just can't spend that much.. wow.. I will check for the next level down.. thanks!

B

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:18 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

I have an MH-01 monopod head with a B2 Pro II clamp. http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-01-Pro&type=4&eq=MH-01-Pro-001&desc=MH-01-Pro%3A-Monopod-Head-with-B2-Pro-II

Would this setup work ok for a studio application on a tripod? If not, would the B2 Pro II clamp work with a ball head? Thanks

B

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:29 AM
SecondShooter
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

This youtube video might answer your question. I have the same setup (ball head and L-Plate for a D3s on a 34-L tripod and it works great.

Here is a picture with a B2 Pro II clamp on a BH-55 ball head, so it should work on other RRS ball heads as well.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BH-55-Pro&type=3&eq=&key=it

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:19 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

Thank you for that video! Explains it perfectly. So, you DO have to disconnect and reconnect. He makes it look quick and easy. I thought for some reason that the camera slides back and forth. I saw a Joel Grimes video where he did this slide to change orientation, but there is no detail on what kind of head and plate he was using.

B

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:48 AM
SecondShooter
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

If you can provide the link to Joel's video someone might be able to identify it.

Nov 07, 2013 at 04:23 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

This is the vid. You have to watch carefully to see him do it. It is lightening fast.

Nov 07, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Trey Neal
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

It appears he is using an RRS L-bracket and the BH-40 ballhead with the quick release clamp. And switching is pretty fast once you get used to it.

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:08 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

I see, so it doesn't actually slide to the portrait orientation? He's actually taking the camera on and off?

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:26 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

I've owned three RRS l-brackets and one (functionally identical) Kirk Enterprise equivalent, to include the one for the D2x (similar in size to the D3s).

You do have to remove the bracket to change orientation, but RRS makes this easy with its B2 series clamp. I'd recommend the B2 LLR for your application.

Also, recommend a decent sized bullhead. BH-40 or -55. And, it goes without saying, a fairly stable tripod, though you can get away with lighter heads/tripods in the studio if you use a time delay (minimize the effect of your movements) and have otherwise excellent technique.

I'd recommend calling RRS and talking to them directly. They are very helpful.

Nov 08, 2013 at 10:53 AM
davidrwilliams
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

...plus, the RRS L-bracket enables use of the wonderful RRS WPF-QR flash bracket if you're shooting on-camera flash on-the-move.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=WPF-QR&type=4&eq=&desc=WPF-QR%3a-Flash-Bracket-with-integrated-QR

I switch between between the standard RRS base plate and the L-bracket as I use a hand-strap and need an RRS plate to provide an anchor point for the strap and with the standard base plate being significantly lighter and smaller, I prefer it for times when I'm not shooting on a tripod or shooting flash. When working on a tripod and needing to flip from landscape to portrait, or shooting on-camera flash, the L-bracket is perfect.

Nov 08, 2013 at 02:54 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommendation for RRS bracket and head for D3s

blutch wrote:

B

If you're getting a RRS L-Bracket then you mite as well get one of there nice Ball Heads.

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.