Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Fuji is on my radar ... I like the look of their glass and having Zeiss support @ Touit is a plus as well, but the viewfinder might be an issue for me.

There's just something about that K3 that is calling pretty hard after picking it up. Oh, here's a tidbit about the K3 that is probably the smallest thing you could imagine as being of any significance:

They have integrated the DOF preview lever into the on/off switch and it is positioned where you can activate it without having to "look" or "feel around" for it. This is miniscule ... but it is the level of detail/consideration that has gone into this camera. While it isn't "retro" styling ... it just wreaks of being a "real camera" once it is in your hands @ build, layout, viewfinder, balance, response, etc.

Kinda reminds me of a baby 1D II N in some ways ... it's a bit of a chunk that fills my hand, but in a really good way. Heck it's probably heavier than my SLR/C. It feels like a well crafted tool, not an electronic toy.

Edited on Nov 08, 2013 at 10:18 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Interesting that you mention that. The Olympus E-m1 has two buttons around the lens mount that can be pressed by your middle and ring fingers - the ring finger one is defaulted to DOF preview.

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

I picked up the Oly as well as the NEX's ... giving a fair shake to all (no Fuji's at the store though).

The Oly was just too small for my hands, it was very quick to go back on the shelf ... too bad, I've got a sweet spot for the Oly brand, but I'm really not looking for m4/3 format anyway. Just looking at the sensor upgrade possibilities from the SLR/C @ no AA options ( @ willing to go APS-C after seeing your equiv set of the young girl) in light of the A7R announcement.

+1 @ others with DOF preview ... the K3 just made me smile at how well placed it was.

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Pentax has had that dof preview in that position for a while. One of the great things imo about the professional Pentax bodies is that they have evolved to what they are currently over a long period of time and through many models. In this way, they are very similar to 1 series Canons or Nikons. The ergonomics are about the best out there imo.

I'm not sure on the 15mm or so focal length. The Limited 15 imo is not really a landscape lens IF you are looking for super sharp, corner to corner performance at infinity. It's really great at closer distances though. I'm actually in the process of re-evaluting my Pentax wides and this new Limited Zoom is probably going to be about perfect for my needs...as long as the performance is there. I really don't shoot much wider than 28 or 30mm on FF myself, particularly for landscapes.

Nov 08, 2013 at 10:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

This is the first time I've tried out an (D) SLR Pentax since the K1000 ... guess I'm lagging behind a bit on some things.

Your point @ 1 Series Canon-ish was very evident to me. I always feel like I'm holding a "real camera" when I grab my 1D II N, and the feel with the K3 was reminiscent of that.

They are marketing the K3 as a field camera ... well, given that is my studio, there are things about it that just strike a chord with me. Gotta lay my hands on a Fuji though, as it might be reminiscent of my Nikon FE. I think the UWA options @ Fuji may be better established than for Pentax. No AA-less option @ Fuji yet though, but hmmm at future offerings.

Hmmm @ closer distances performance. I do use my WA/UWA @ mfd more than most folks would. I still like whole frame performance to be there if possible, especially if I'm already giving back some real estate @ crop. I may need to also evaluate how much I use UWA @ landscape vs. WA @ landscape.

Nov 08, 2013 at 10:13 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

I'm loving what I see about this body, problem is that if I'm going to use a dSLR I want FF - For APS-C I'm happy with the X-E1. Come on Pentax, lets go FF!

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

michael49 wrote:
I'm loving what I see about this body, problem is that if I'm going to use a dSLR I want FF - For APS-C I'm happy with the X-E1. Come on Pentax, lets go FF!

Well, Pentax folks have been waiting on it forever but it looks like something is definitely coming next year. With Ricoh ownership now, there is a huge question as to what form it will take. They pretty much have to re-build a FF lens line so my bet is Ricoh does something innovative like a mirrorless based body/ platform with a modular finder option (maybe allowing either EVF or OVF). With Ricoh, you never know what they might do as they innovate quite a bit. There is also the rumor of a FF digital Pentax LX but I sort of doubt that one. It would be funny though if it turned out that the simple, digital Nikon FM everybody wanted in the Nikon Df turned out to be a Pentax.

Nov 09, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Rustybug - All the XTrans Fujis are AA less. X-E1, X-E2, X-Pro 1, and X-M1. That's the whole point of XTrans. no AA filter and no moire. (well that and virtually zero color noise).

Nov 09, 2013 at 01:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Okay, thanks ... I somehow missed (likely just forgot) that.

Nov 09, 2013 at 01:44 AM
JonPB
• •
p.2 #10 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Pentax "gets" lens design a lot like Leica does--but Pentax also understands a thing called "budget," so their designs are a bit less ambitious and considerably more attainable, but still make compromises aimed more at better photographs than marketing figures. I hope Ricoh follows that tradition with the 20-40.

As far as speculation about a Pentax camera with a 135 frame sensor goes, I think it more likely that they'll concentrate on a lineup that ranges from Q to APS-C to 645. Their top end cameras in each category will share the same features, handling, and compactness given the limits of sensor format--and there'll be lower specifications for more affordable bodies using the same three sensors. The cheap 645 would be about $4k, offering meaningfully larger sensor size than 135 format for not much more money. That's a good six camera lineup that spans from $400 to $10k with a tremendous amount of shared componentry--without cutting any corners by way of deleted features just to get the consumer to buy one level higher in the food chain.

If they could just offer better service support, I'd go back.

Nov 09, 2013 at 02:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Tariq Gibran wrote:
....my bet is Ricoh does something innovative like a mirrorless based body/ platform with a modular finder option (maybe allowing either EVF or OVF). With Ricoh, you never know what they might do as they innovate quite a bit....

FF mirrorless with hybrid EVF/OVF......and with IBIS - now that would be sweet. Come on Pentax (I mean Ricoh )

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM
kenyee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

RustyBug wrote:
They have integrated the DOF preview lever into the on/off switch and it is positioned where you can activate it without having to "look" or "feel around" for it. This is miniscule ... but it is the level of detail/consideration that has gone into this camera. While it isn't "retro" styling ... it just wreaks of being a "real camera" once it is in your hands @ build, layout, viewfinder, balance, response, etc.

Pentax ergos have always been really a level above other makers for a while now. It's even more evident when you wear gloves which are generally needed outdoors...

Lenses are their main weakness though...they no longer push the edge in lenses and Hoya laid off a few of their great lens designers when they had control

Nov 10, 2013 at 02:07 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

kenyee wrote:
Lenses are their main weakness though...they no longer push the edge in lenses and Hoya laid off a few of their great lens designers when they had control

Hopefully, Ricoh will fill a few holes there as Ricoh has some expertise in that area.

Nov 10, 2013 at 02:42 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.2 #14 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

I think the whole series is very interesting. I'm not one of those "1.8 lenses are completely useless garbage, 1.4 or faster or death, even if it weighs 6lbs" guys. I like shooting in the daylight. I consider moderate aperture a great trade-off for super compactness.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Lee Saxon wrote:
I consider moderate aperture a great trade-off for super compactness.

... or for IQ @ color, well corrected, resolution, good bokeh, etc.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM
fotographiq
• • •
p.2 #16 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

I am really thinking hard about this lens. Anyone have one?

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.2 #17 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of all things Pentax, but this lens is meant only for APS-C systems?

Correct? This wouldn't be an alt lens on say, the a7(r) unless you want to run in crop mode and/or crop the photo in PP?

Or would there be a way to somehow squeak out FF from this lens (via speed booster or whatever that is)?

Edited on Jan 24, 2014 at 01:13 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:11 AM
fotographiq
• • •
p.2 #18 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

It is not a full frame lens.

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.2 #19 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

fotographiq wrote:
It is not a full frame lens.

Ok, that's all I needed to know. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2014 at 01:13 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

fotographiq wrote:
I am really thinking hard about this lens. Anyone have one?

I don't have one but it's sort of a hard sell for me considering it's not terribly compact, it's slow, it's expensive and the results I have seen have been good but not amazing (with regard to corner to corner sharpness). With the Sigma 18-35 1.8 around the corner - a lens that will almost certainly outperform this lens at a much faster speed and at a cheaper price - it's hard for me to rationalize the purchase of this Pentax Limited Zoom. True, that Sigma is big and heavy but the Pentax is not as small as one might think. The other part part of this equation for me is that I already own a few, slower small Limited Pentax lenses in this range so this Pentax zoom would basically duplicate some of what I have but the Sigma will offer both a faster option and an expected jump in image quality with regard to sharpness.

You can see how large this lens is here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-20-40mm-limited/construction-and-handling.html

Jan 24, 2014 at 02:25 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password