Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Really a gorgeous lens, with an interesting focal length/aperture range in a really small package:

Weather sealing and in-lens AF motor, too!

Nov 07, 2013 at 03:59 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

I really wish I could understand this, but alas I don't.

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:11 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

cputeq wrote:
I really wish I could understand this, but alas I don't.

looks pretty sweet to me in theory, like a modern c/y 35-70/3.4. covers the most useful of focal ranges with decent speed, small size, and great build. i like the knurled metal zoom ring and metal focus ring a lot. too bad it's not a 30-60mm for FF.

Nov 07, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Love the Super-Takumar inspired knurled zoom ring. These small, metal, jewel-like Limited lenses are really nice to handle and use. No one else makes anything like them. If the performance is there, this will very likely find it's way onto my K3 due to arrive this afternoon.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

I have to say...a K3 with the 15, this lens and the 70/2.4 would make an awfully nice, very small, high quality kit.

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:13 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Jman13 wrote:
I have to say...a K3 with the 15, this lens and the 70/2.4 would make an awfully nice, very small, high quality kit.

Yep, great small kit and with the versatility to do pretty much anything needed. I have been very happy with the K5 + a few small limited's (15, 21) and a few classic manual focus K mount lenses. The K3 looks to offer just a little bit more.

Probably sounds odd to a few around here but I chose to go for the K3 over either Sony A7's for the near term due to what I need in a complete system (and what I already own). Perhaps when the A7's are more fully fleshed out with native FE lenses, I will give it another look (plus, I do have the RX1).

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:49 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

i wish other manufacturers would put focus scales like that on their lenses (nikon i'm looking at you and useless thing on the lens that comes with the Df), too bad they don't also put aperture rings on the DA lenses.

Nov 07, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Wow, focus scales that actually are usable!

Looks nice, I give it that. Other than that, it better be C/Y territory of performance, otherwise it will be just meh.

Well, f2.8-4 is a bit "meh" anyway. Sorry too slow.

Nov 07, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Mescalamba wrote:
Wow, focus scales that actually are usable!

Looks nice, I give it that. Other than that, it better be C/Y territory of performance, otherwise it will be just meh.

Well, f2.8-4 is a bit "meh" anyway. Sorry too slow.

You can always opt for the fast 18-35 1.8 Sigma, but you will also have to accept it's nearly 2 pounds and 5 inch length. This Limited Pentax zoom is about compact size and weight (about 1/3 the weight of the sigma). If the performance is there (which I highly suspect it will be), it's going to be a superb travel lens (particularly given that it's weather resistant).

Nov 07, 2013 at 04:36 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

They deserve to succeed with this one...of the non-big three makers Pentax is the one I would like to see making FF cameras.

What a fine lens it looks like. 30-60mm EFL covers a lot of ground and just 285 grams. I think there is a case Sony/Zeiss might have done something similar with the A series 24-70mm which has frankly poor MTF at the wide end.

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Jman13 wrote:

+1 I'd strongly consider that combo if I was to go back to a DSLR.

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:38 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

+1 @ the travel lens or maybe the C/Y 35-70/3.4 approach

Looking at the K3 last couple days ... it has caught my attention as a "camera" more than the A7R. Silly little things like no AA filter, dual cards and an OVF, weather sealing, etc. have me thinking hard about the K3, and now am exploring the glass available for it. Picking up the K3 and some of the glass, it's pretty clear that while it is smaller than FF @ APS-C, it's well built ... not likely for fans of small & light.

It seems that Pentax is pretty challenged in that regard, as Sigma doesn't make everything in K mount, nor does Zeiss.

So far, these are the native mount lenses that have my attention to research for performance/IQ (4 or 5 lens kit):

12-24 (diggin the FL, but UWA zoom @ distortion/IQ )
18-35 (not yet available in K mount) or 20-40
50 macro (Alt glass instead)
60-250
70/2.4 (Alt glass instead)

The K3 is the first APS-C offering that has really caught my attention as an non-AA option that could hold up well for a long time to come. If I've still been shooting the SLR/C this long ... the K3 could carry me quite a way too, and well built for the field doesn't hurt either.

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:33 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

It's unfortunate that it's not alt friendly. How does the nex-7 do against the k3?

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
It's unfortunate that it's not alt friendly. How does the nex-7 do against the k3?

Image quality wise, my biggest issue with the NEX-7 was the noisy sensor. I was really worried that a high density 24MP APS sensor from anyone was going to perform about the same but somehow Pentax has really pulled off superb results with whatever they have done with the K3. I don't know if it's just down to Pentax's tradional expertise in getting the most out of an older Sony sensor or if indeed this is a different sensor altogether but thus far I'm extremely happy with the image quality coming out of the K3. Very useable ISO 3200 performance at native size - perhaps slightly behind the K5's 16MP performance at 100% but nowhere near as poor as the NEX-7. At ISO 200, the files are extremely clean with tons of dynamic range - something else I was concerned about previously.

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

+1 @ some alt not friendliness ... still researching available adapters.

The biggest loss would likely be to my 24L TS-E II and Oly 18. M645, Adapt-All should be secure. @ Leica R, Nikon and C/Y?

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ the travel lens or maybe the C/Y 35-70/3.4 approach

Looking at the K3 last couple days ... it has caught my attention as a "camera" more than the A7R. Silly little things like no AA filter, dual cards and an OVF, weather sealing, etc. have me thinking hard about the K3, and now am exploring the glass available for it. Picking up the K3 and some of the glass, it's pretty clear that while it is smaller than FF @ APS-C, it's well built ... not likely for fans of small & light.

It seems that Pentax is pretty challenged
...Show more

Lenses can become an issue on the wide end depending on what your shooting, particularly under the scrutiny of APS 24MP. The Limited 15, for example, is not going to give corner to corner extreme detail at distance (such as a traditional landscape). I think this may be due to field curvature, not sure. So, your not going to see Zeiss 21 FF performance if that's what your looking for out of this lens. Color, contrast and central sharpness are superb but borders/ corners not so much.

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ some alt not friendliness ... still researching available adapters.

The biggest loss would likely be to my 24L TS-E II and Oly 18. M645, Adapt-All should be secure. @ Leica R, Nikon and C/Y?

Yes, Leitax has that covered thankfully so the K-Mount does offer some Alt lens options for Olympus, C/Y and Leica R. I don't think Nikon is an option though.

http://leitax.com/

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:52 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Image quality wise, my biggest issue with the NEX-7 was the noisy sensor. I was really worried that a high density 24MP APS sensor from anyone was going to perform about the same but somehow Pentax has really pulled off superb results with whatever they have done with the K3. I don't know if it's just down to Pentax's tradional expertise in getting the most out of an older Sony sensor or if indeed this is a different sensor altogether but thus far I'm extremely happy with the image quality coming out of the K3. Very useable ISO 3200
...Show more

I think noise used to be a low priority for Sony with their implementations. Nikon, in particular, squeezed lower noise results out of their sensors. That seemed to change with the NEX-5N/6 and has followed through on the Alpha line, at least with the a99. In that respect, I suspect they could make a much better performing NEX-7 now.

The K3 has a lot of other advantages, of course, and this lens, at least conceptually, can be added to that list. It seems to me that something like this would be more useful than the onslaught of slow ASP-C zooms that (badly) cover more range.

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

So what do you think would be the best 14-17mm on APS-C ( ~ yielding 21mm - 25mm on FF) for "traditional landscape"? (Although, my gut tells me I'm barking up the wrong tree and should remain @ TS-E II on FF, while I'm diggin' what they've done with the K3.)

Leitaxed Oly 18/3.5 maybe ... hmmm, cropped, the vignetting would be virtually a non-issue (although that's about 27mm).

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited WR DC Announced

Are you talking just for Pentax or any APS-C body? (Because I know what I'd vote for for sure if it's any).

I haven't used it, but I've heard really good things about the Limited 15mm. Super small too.

For any APS-C, if you follow my stuff, you know I'd say the Fuji 14mm on any of the Fuji X bodies. It's overall the best ultra-wide lens I've ever used personally. Tack sharp corner to corner, great color and contrast and absolutely no distortion.

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:18 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password