New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Japan monkeys and cranes

Flowernut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Japan monkeys and cranes

I'm planning to go to japan to photograph snow monkeys and cranes. Maybe a day on a boat to photograph eagles and sea birds. Does anyone who has been there have a suggestion as to what to take for a long lens? Other lenses?

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:03 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Japan monkeys and cranes

what do you have?

Nov 06, 2013 at 10:25 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Japan monkeys and cranes

I was there almost 2 years ago. For the snow cranes, like any cranes anywhere else, you need a longer lens to get the reach to get decent images. I would say the minimal would be approximately 400mm on a FF format.

The snow monkey on the other hand congregates near their hot water pool and they are pretty docile. At times, I used my 16-35mm lens at the short end to get some close-up shots very, very close to their face. It is OK, as long as you don't touch them. In general though, a lens like a 70-200mm on FF would be perfect to isolate one or two monkeys. I also used my 24-105mm quite a bit.

Have fun!

Nov 07, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Japan monkeys and cranes

my thoughts right now are canon 16-35, 24-105, mid range zoom (70-300, 70-200, or 100-400) and a 500mm. Might rent a 200-400, 300, or 600. FF bodies although I still have a MIV I could use.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Japan monkeys and cranes

If somehow you can bring a long lens, it would be helpful great. I didn't bring anything longer than my 70-200mm f/2.8 Mark II back then. With a TC and on a 7D, I had to crop quite a bit to get some decent images. Some 30+ photographers were on the bridge over the Setsuri river early in the morning with long lenses to take pictures of roosting cranes and of them getting ready to take off. The sun was shinning, the snowy landscape (frozen branches, etc.) and the roosting cranes made some really awesome images but I was FL deprived at that time . Oh, well.

The eagles near Rausu were pretty close, at least when I was there. There you can get away with a 70-200mm on a crop camera. I would say, longer lenses were not necessary and can be cumbersome, actually.

Here is my gallery "Winter in Japan" if you are interested: http://www.pbase.com/ageojo/winter_in_japan.

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Japan monkeys and cranes

Some of the monkeys have no innate fear of people, it honestly depends on where you are and how accustomed to people they are. If it's a touristy spot where people visit regularly, they may even be able to recognize tourists with cameras and even pose for them. If that is the case, you didn't need a long lens for these guys, just resist any urge to feed them or cuddle them. Do be warned, some alphas have been known for aggressive-type behavior, though mostly out of play, like making snowballs from the snow and throwing them at tourists from time to time. Also there have been reports of female tourists receiving unwanted attention or harassment from alphas, though these reports are rare.

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Japan monkeys and cranes

I like the pictures very much and it gives tells me the various lens combinations you used. Very helpful. I plan to go to Kyoto to get a little culture before the tour starts.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.