3              22       23       end

Archive 2013 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

fraga
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

Snopchenko wrote:
You sound awfully sure of that, how?

If you look at past and current lenses, it should give you an idea of that.
Usually, primes have the focal length their makers claim them to have.
But not zoom lenses, even canon's and nikon's.
They can be at infinity or at least be very close to what is claimed at infinity, but focal length decreases as does focusing distance.
Most, if not all zoom lenses, suffer from focus breathing.
And the cheaper the lens and the longer the zoom range, the worst.
Third party lenses are usually worst in this regard.
I brought this up because, in this case, the main selling point of this lens will be the 600mm. And people, under many shooting circumstances, won't be getting 600mm...
It's like sigma's 50-500 or 120-400 or 150-500.
Does this mean this particular tamron lens will be the same? Well, IMHO I believe it will be similar, because while I am no engineer or lens designer, for this lens to be a true 600mm at MFD, I am under the impression that it would have to be physically bigger.
Case in point: I have a nikkor 28-300 and it has an awful amount of focus breathing. It's a small lens (very small in fact for a 300mm).
I also have a 28-300L and it's much bigger (while having the same focal range and same aperture values). It does not have such a high degree of focus breathing.

Disclaimer: I will readily admit I can be wrong. I am not, by any means, an expert.
And don't get me wrong: I am not a hater. Definitely not, since I own several third party lenses. And I want third party makers to excel, because canon lately is going nuts with their price strategy and given the portuguese economy state, I fear I won't be able to afford new canon glass anymore in the near future.

And aperture starts at f5! 150mm f5! Too slow, IMHO... F6.3 at 600mm is perfectly understandable, f5 at 150mm not so much.

For faster 150mm, use your 70-200. After all, this is not going to replace a 70-200, but rather to supplement it.

They are very different lenses (regarding focal length) so I agree, in my case, it would supplement, not replace.
Therefore I fail to see the connection.
Different lenses for different applications.

Stranger things have happened in the past (Sigma 35/1.4, etc.)

Quite true.
Totally agree.
Let's hope this is one of those examples, though truthfully I won't hold my breath (given the price)...

Nov 07, 2013 at 06:57 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

Hmmm, looks interesting. I was looking to pick something up next year for air shows and motorsports. I was hoping Sigma might update their 150-500 but I'll be keeping an eye on this Tamron.

Nov 07, 2013 at 07:01 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

As to people asking about a limiter switch. Found this picture and if you zoom in, the highest switch looks to say "FULL" and then have 2 more settings so this is likely a limiter.

Also, the patent for this lens states the true design is 582mm at f/6.45 so I guess as with most lenses you don't get quite what you think you are getting.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:46 AM
Coltrane
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

I'm tired of these long zooms. I'd like to see Sigma or Tamron release a 500mm 5.6 or a 600mm 6.3 with stabilization. My credit card is ready.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:09 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

Cadaver wrote:
I'm tired of these long zooms. I'd like to see Sigma or Tamron release a 500mm 5.6 or a 600mm 6.3 with stabilization. My credit card is ready.

I agree, they would do very well with those lenses. Sigma is going to release some big telephotos soon. But they will be direct competitors like 300 and 400 2.8s with rumoured 500 and 600 f/4s also. I think they would do better if they gave us great optics and went down an f stop as you have suggested as then the price would be kept much further away from Canon and Nikon super telephoto prices.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:20 AM
GOVA
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

As 70-300VC costs ~$400, asking $1,500 for this seems reasonable.

I don't really see a point blabbering about 5K lenses here...

If its IQ is close to 70-300VC, and I don't see why it would not, it will be a huge winner.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:38 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

I really wish zooms would have the zoom ring closest to the camera. With modern AF I rarely use the focus ring. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:48 AM

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

fraga wrote:
If you look at past and current lenses, it should give you an idea of that.
Usually, primes have the focal length their makers claim them to have.
But not zoom lenses, even canon's and nikon's.
They can be at infinity or at least be very close to what is claimed at infinity, but focal length decreases as does focusing distance.

Found it: this lens is 582mm at the long end. That's about 3% less than stated, so probably within statistical error. Canon 100-400 is circa 383mm at the long end, and nobody is complaining.

Most, if not all zoom lenses, suffer from focus breathing.
And the cheaper the lens and the longer the zoom range, the worst.
Third party lenses are usually worst in this regard.
I brought this up because, in this case, the main selling point of this lens will be the 600mm. And people, under many shooting circumstances, won't be getting 600mm...
It's like sigma's 50-500 or 120-400 or 150-500.
Does this mean this particular tamron lens will be the same? Well, IMHO I believe it will be similar, because while I am no engineer or lens designer, for this lens to be a true 600mm at
...Show more
Nikkor 28-300 is a bag of compromises, you can hardly expect this one to match (much less exceed it) in this regard. Even if it shrinks to 450-500mm at MFD, it's still much better than the next matching lens. (say, Sigma 50-500 really tops out at about 470mm even at infinity).

Disclaimer: I will readily admit I can be wrong. I am not, by any means, an expert.

Nor am I. But I have trust in the makers - on the whole, Tamron hasn't disappointed us once lately, except by being a little slow in updating their mid generation lenses with Ultrasonic motors.

And don't get me wrong: I am not a hater. Definitely not, since I own several third party lenses. And I want third party makers to excel, because canon lately is going nuts with their price strategy and given the portuguese economy state, I fear I won't be able to afford new canon glass anymore in the near future.

They are very different lenses (regarding focal length) so I agree, in my case, it would supplement, not replace.
Therefore I fail to see the connection.

150mm f/5 might seem a tad uninspiring in itself, but as a short end of a zoom that goes to 600mm, I think it's pretty easy to stomach. Especially since most people likely have that length covered by a shorter, faster zoom (70-200 in whatever flavour most probably). Making it faster would've involved a drastic increase in size/price, or a decrease in quality (or both).

Quite true.
Totally agree.
Let's hope this is one of those examples, though truthfully I won't hold my breath (given the price)...

Nobody will. People with money to burn and L/big white purists are gonna sneer at this lens (or already are doing so), but for the average amateur, it looks very refreshing. The old 200-500 was, while compact, pretty dated due to lack of IS and USM.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:58 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

If they just made a 600/5.6 prime... or a 500/4... wouldn't it just be easier for them? And a better seller (likely better optics) also?

Hopefully Sigma does that with their prime telephotos and the lenses are as good as their 35/1.4 Art or their 18-35/1.8 zoom. And if they make them under the Sport line with the weather-sealing...

And for 150-500... that's a HUGE range. At that price ($1,500), likely suspect image quality. Might just be better to get the Nikon 80-400 for a bit more.

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

Interesting.............I have yet to be disappointed with any Tamron I have owned for the price I have paid. Maybe there will be an 'introductory' price that will put a few out there to either prove themselves or otherwise.
I find it hard to believe that it really is necessary to have the cost be $10K + for lenses, nothing wrong with profit as that keeps a business going but I have always wondered about 'actual cost' of build.

At $1500 that is pretty amazing, yes some limitations but for a functional 600 reach, lightweight and VC it is an amazing value perhaps............based on IQ and will give alternatives to those needing reach on more a budget.

If they said $3500-4500 would that make us believe it to be a better lens or a perceived better lens

I always enjoy a bargain.............I will gladly accommodate one if they are $1500!

Karl

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:49 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

MazeRunner wrote:
If they just made a 600/5.6 prime... or a 500/4... wouldn't it just be easier for them? And a better seller (likely better optics) also?

I doubt that a prime would sell more then a zoom. Canon's 100-400 has probably sold more then all the 400/5.6's and 300/4's combined.

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:51 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

If this has IQ that can equal the Canon 100-400 then I would swap out my Canon for this lens. I'm sure the VC will be better than the ancient IS in the 100-400. I've given up hope of Canon ever releasing the 100-400 II.

Nov 07, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

Really, really interested to see how the lens performs. Could be perfect for racing.

Nov 07, 2013 at 11:05 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

I think it'll be awesome. Pretty good to very good optics for a fair price - seems to be the modern Tamron modus operandi. Might take a few samples to get a centered copy (or just sending to Tamron for repair), but I think this lens might be a winner.

And really, 150-600mm is only a ~5x zoom, hardly unheard of (I owned the Sigma 50-500 and it wasn't a bad lens at 10x, though at 500mm it took f/8 to get anything I liked).

I do agree, I'd love a 600mm f/6.3 or something around there, but I bet Tamron's thinking is they don't have the market for that. Many of their customers are probably lower-level enthusiasts (neophytes perhaps?) and they'd be much more apt to buy a 150-600 zoom than a 600mm prime.

Nov 07, 2013 at 11:14 AM
hoodlum90
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

I wish the focus limiter had a short range option

http://www.kubacichocki.pl/test/newlens/przelaczniki.jpg

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:13 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

Snopchenko wrote:
Found it: this lens is 582mm at the long end. That's about 3% less than stated, so probably within statistical error. Canon 100-400 is circa 383mm at the long end, and nobody is complaining.

582 is slightly better than I expected, which is good news. 18mm at that focal range (600mm) is barely noticeable.
But that is at infinity.
Now let's wait and see how well it delivers at closer distances.
Let's hope it does good as well (honestly I don't think it will, but fingers crossed).

Nikkor 28-300 is a bag of compromises, you can hardly expect this one to match (much less exceed it) in this regard. Even if it shrinks to 450-500mm at MFD, it's still much better than the next matching lens. (say, Sigma 50-500 really tops out at about 470mm even at infinity).

While it is a bag of compromises, I really like mine.
It's sharp and has good colours and contrast. For the price asked, I consider it a very good lens. It definitely surprised me.
Focus breathing is huge, though... going from 200mm to 300mm at MFD or close to it makes a (very) small difference...

Nor am I. But I have trust in the makers - on the whole, Tamron hasn't disappointed us once lately, except by being a little slow in updating their mid generation lenses with Ultrasonic motors.

I agree, sigma and tamron have been releasing some very good lenses lately, specially the former.

150mm f/5 might seem a tad uninspiring in itself, but as a short end of a zoom that goes to 600mm, I think it's pretty easy to stomach. Especially since most people likely have that length covered by a shorter, faster zoom (70-200 in whatever flavour most probably). Making it faster would've involved a drastic increase in size/price, or a decrease in quality (or both).

Got your point.

Nobody will. People with money to burn and L/big white purists are gonna sneer at this lens (or already are doing so), but for the average amateur, it looks very refreshing. The old 200-500 was, while compact, pretty dated due to lack of IS and USM.

I guess IQ will be paramount, in this case.
If it delivers, it will sell well, specially given the price.
Artitrage would swap his 100-400 for this lens if IQ is similar and I feel many others would.
While I won't keep my hopes up, I will readily admit that I am curious to check the forthcoming reviews of the lens.
If it delivers in the IQ front, I will be interested in purchasing one.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:16 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

cputeq wrote:
And really, 150-600mm is only a ~5x zoom, hardly unheard of (I owned the Sigma 50-500 and it wasn't a bad lens at 10x, though at 500mm it took f/8 to get anything I liked).

Isn't it a 4x zoom? 600mm/150mm = 4?

Really, it looks like a 70-300 focal length doubled- and we know that Tamron can do that focal length pretty well already.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:37 PM
billk55
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

Not sure where the price of $1500 comes from. The Polish site which is linked to says 6000pln, which is more like $1900.

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

billk55 wrote:
Not sure where the price of $1500 comes from. The Polish site which is linked to says 6000pln, which is more like $1900.

The price is always much higher in Europe. And often include VAT. Normally the difference is a lot more than those $ 400

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

From a wildlife picture taking standpoint I have many walking areas that you are likely to encounter close in ducks at take off where the 500-600 range you would never find it in the viewfinder and it would be too tight at that range. Having the ability to be poised between 150-300mm would be a great benefit for me. From a creativity standpoint the ability to single out a deer or include a few surrounding would be nice as well as single duck or a flotilla of them.

The zoom range is making sense to me. If it were a choice of faster focusing or the 600mm reach, I would gladly give up 100mm to focus faster as that assures you are getting locked on target sooner and that is like having the extra reach at times

Karl

Nov 07, 2013 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.