Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

sumtiw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

A warm hello to all the photographers reading this,

I have been a silent spectator of this forum since a long long time.. Even before I registered myself here. This place has been a great inspiration and a great source of information.
To tell you a bit about myself- I am a student doing my graduation in Coputer Information System and searching for jobs.
I used canon 1000D (Rebel XS) with a Canon 55-250 mm for 4 years. I saved for a new set of Cam and lens for 2 long years. I have recently bought a 7D and a Canon 100-400 mm.
I also bought a Induro Aluminum tripod (I have no issues with its weight) with a RS-55 Ballhead.
I usually take pictures of Aquarium fishes and every once in a while I sell a photo or two to magazines. But my other keen interest is in bird pictures.
I go out on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings. I go to lakes and ponds usually. Its been around 2 months that I go there on every weekend but my sheer bad luck that I never see anything else than Robins, Northern Flicker, House finch and sometimes a few black eyed junco (I live in Northern Colorado).
I have not even seen a single Raptor in last 2 months eventhough they say its the peak time for Raptors to show up in Northern Colorado.

A few questions-
1.In the morning hours lights is not that good especially when I am in the woods. Right now I use my 100-400 mm handheld at around 1/200 second and it makes "not so sharp" images. Then I tried taking my Tripod with me but again if I suddenly have to change the height or if I have to move from one place to the other, it's not an easy task.
Should I buy a Monopod? If yes, what kind of ballhead do you all use? Will my BH-55 work good with a monopod?

2. I also bought a flash beamer recently that I use with Youngnuo 560 iii flash set at 50 mm. But the pictures that I took with it look too artificial. I kept it at 1/16 intensity. Do you use beamers? If yes at what settings?

3. Someone suggested me to keep my ISO at Auto. I tried it but since the branches on which the bird sits are in shade and the background (clouds) are of course very illuminated, The pictures come out very weird. I keep my metering at center weighted (the one with a black dot at the center). Will I have to accustom myself to change settings very fast according to the frame that I am seeing currently? I mean will I have to change the Shutter speed and ISO based on the frame that I am going to capture? What strategy do you all use? I do not judge the amount of light very well if I use camera at Aperture mode so I try to use shutter priority mode. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

4. When you go to some place to take pictures of birds, do you stay at one place and wait for some bird to show up or do you keep wandering around and keep looking for birds and when you see one, you set up your gears and start taking pics? I go out at the sunrise time (around 7:00 here in CO) and stay in the field till 10:30 or 11:00. They say sunrise is a good time but according to what I have seen in past 2 months, birds come out only after it becomes a bit warm.. say around 8:30 or 9:00 AM. What is your experience in this regard?

I know many of you have 1Ds and 500 or 600 mm and 7D is not that good of a camera and neither a 100-400 is. But this was all that I could afford being a student (even this was wayyy too much for me). And I didn't go for 400 prime as I use this 100-400 at some points to take pictures of fishes.

I am also not sure if this was a good place to ask these questions or not coz I have never seen anyone posting such questions here. So I will also add a few photos that I have taken in past. Wont be as good as you guys haha..
Comments and criticism is always most welcome. I would love to hear what you all think about my photos.

Thanks,
Sumer.

P.S. The Steller's Jay pictures are from earlier this year. I was horrible at sharpening the images. I have learned selective sharpening now.

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:25 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

I dont know why, but when I am attaching the photos, it is saying "You are not logged in. Nothing specified". I have paid the charges and I can see that I am good to upload the images for next 91 days.
Anyone knows what the problem is?

Text replies are going just fine. When I am attaching the image, its not working.

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:38 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Hi Sumer,

I can't help with all your questions but will try to answer some that I have knowledge of. Tripods are cumbersome, I own one and use it sometimes but with a 7D and 100-400 (my same kit I used from 2010-13 and still use in adjunct to my newer gear) I would try to just handhold most of the time. A monopod is more flexible than a tripod but still not as flexible as handholding. You can use the BH-55 on a monopod and it will work okay. You can even use monopods without a head and just with a quick-release plate. Or RRS has a monopod head also.

As for locations, I only have a few locations that I know and therefore I go at certain times of the year when the birds will be there (like spring for swans and ducks on migration) and summer for eagles. I usually try to stay in one spot for a while and see if timid birds like ducks will come closer. With eagles I usually just go walking around and find them as they aren't too timid.

Your gear is more than adequate to take good pictures. Sure it isn't a 1DX or a 500mm lens but you will see many amazing pictures from the 7D and 100-400 combo as it is a very popular combo. As I mentioned, it was my main combo for 2-3 years and I still use the lens a lot just not the 7D as much.

You need to get your SS way above 1/200 if you want any good shots out of the 100-400. With the 7D you can easily go to 800 or 1600 ISO and can get clean shots with a little NR in post. Shoot the 100-400 wide open at f/5.6 on the long end. Most of the newer ones are very sharp even wide open. I would want my SS to be at least 1/800 to handhold that combo and faster if you are shooting flying birds. 1/1600 or faster for flight. This usually means pushing up that ISO but a bit of noise is better than blur.

Hope this helps a bit and others will hopefully chime in also. I don't use flash so can't help there.

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:40 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

sumtiw wrote:
I dont know why, but when I am attaching the photos, it is saying "You are not logged in. Nothing specified". I have paid the charges and I can see that I am good to upload the images for next 91 days.
Anyone knows what the problem is?

Text replies are going just fine. When I am attaching the image, its not working.

Maybe try another browser or re-load your browser and log out and in again to FM.

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:45 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Wonderful
Thanks you so much. "A bit of noise is better than blur" is a very helpful statement. I will keep this in mind.
This weekend I will again go to a new pond and will see if I can take some good pictures based on the help that you guys have/ will provide.
I am glad I posted my thread here.

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:48 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

arbitrage wrote:
Maybe try another browser or re-load your browser and log out and in again to FM.

It just did. I had to check the "EXIF data checkbox"

Steller's Jay

Steller's Jay

Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma (Bleeding heart tetras)

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Nice shots, glad you got it working. All of these are well done. I'm impressed with the sharpness at 1/80 for the Flicker shot. I love the last fish shot with the bubbles. That is very cool.

One small critique would be on the jay shots they appear over sharpened on my monitor. I think you could tone down the sharpening a bit and have a really nice image.

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:15 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Hi Sumer,
Welcome to FM!
What a pretty blue color the Stellar Jays is!

My favorites are the last three!

With the very last one being my most favorite! I love it! it's beautiful!!

BeeBalm

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:19 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Welcome

I'll try to answer what I can below - My opinion.

sumtiw wrote:

1.In the morning hours lights is not that good especially when I am in the woods. Right now I use my 100-400 mm handheld at around 1/200 second and it makes "not so sharp" images. Then I tried taking my Tripod with me but again if I suddenly have to change the height or if I have to move from one place to the other, it's not an easy task.
Should I buy a Monopod? If yes, what kind of ballhead do you all use? Will my BH-55 work good with a monopod?

Forget 1/200. The old rule of thumb for hand held is 1/focal length. Add 1.6 for the crop factor. Even with that old IS, 1/1000 would be good. Your not sharp because shutter speed is too slow. As others said, your kit is used by many people and is fine. Try ISO 640 or 800. Then use noise reduction sw.

No need for a monopod. Shoot handheld.

sumtiw wrote:
2. I also bought a flash beamer recently that I use with Youngnuo 560 iii flash set at 50 mm. But the pictures that I took with it look too artificial. I kept it at 1/16 intensity. Do you use beamers? If yes at what settings?

Set the flash to high speed sync (HSS) in aperture or shutter priority mode. Do not use program mode. Use negative flash compensation until the flash adds barely noticeably fill flash. Done right, its fine. If that flash doesn't have HSS, then you are out of luck or learn to use manual flash with manual settings in camera. Yes, your bird has way to much flash. You need HSS and dial back the flash compensation.

Flash has a place. Morris is the expert.

sumtiw wrote:
3. Someone suggested me to keep my ISO at Auto. I tried it but since the branches on which the bird sits are in shade and the background (clouds) are of course very illuminated, The pictures come out very weird. I keep my metering at center weighted (the one with a black dot at the center). Will I have to accustom myself to change settings very fast according to the frame that I am seeing currently? I mean will I have to change the Shutter speed and ISO based on the frame that I am going to capture? What strategy
...Show more

Do not use center weight. It gives weird results for me too. Your scene is backlit, try partial metering. Also try spot metering. If the scene is "normal", use evaluate metering. Remember that the meter will try to set the camera so the shot is 18% grey. You can use eval mode and just dial in positive compensation. Or shoot manual.

As to mode, many will say to use manual. Your choice. Remember exposure is a triad of aperture, shutter, and ISO. If you want DOF, set a high aperture. If this is BIF, then the shutter must be much higher. Use whatever you are comfortable with. No, you do not need to constantly change things every frame but the lighting can change due to clouds, backlit, etc. Its all different. Pick whatever you are comfortable with to start. Always try to use the lowest ISO. Forget about auto ISO for now. You choose the ISO.

sumtiw wrote:
4. When you go to some place to take pictures of birds, do you stay at one place and wait for some bird to show up or do you keep wandering around and keep looking for birds and when you see one, you set up your gears and start taking pics? I go out at the sunrise time (around 7:00 here in CO) and stay in the field till 10:30 or 11:00. They say sunrise is a good time but according to what I have seen in past 2 months, birds come out only after it becomes a bit warm..
...Show more

You go where the birds are. Check out your local bird clubs. Check out e-bird. Find the listservers in your area where the birders tell where the birds are. You will get used to it and find the local resources.

Dawn and dusk are cherished by photographers for their golden hours, when the sun gives a golden glow, vice noon when the light is harsh. Remember ... it's all about the light.

With a 7D and 100-400, you are not setting up anything, You are walking around.

Find out where the lakes are and where the migrating ducks are. Walk around and you will see them. Then you know where to go. Its all a matter of doing some homework.

You sit and wait for the ducks and geese. They will come to you. Become part of nature. Songbirds you need to find. They go where they go.

sumtiw wrote:
I know many of you have 1Ds and 500 or 600 mm and 7D is not that good of a camera and neither a 100-400 is. But this was all that I could afford being a student (even this was wayyy too much for me). And I didn't go for 400 prime as I use this 100-400 at some points to take pictures of fishes.

It's wayy too much for me to!!! Don't worry about gear. Some people get way hung up on technical stuff and forget about taking pictures. You got a L lens. Great start. Don't let anyone tell you the 7D can't take great pictures. At low ISOs, it has better resolution than all the 1D whatevers ... Resolution matters. People will talk a lot about pixels on the duck. In high ISOs, not so good. Then again, its much cheaper. You get what you pay for. OTH, great glass is forever. Cameras come and go. The 1DX will be in the junk heap in a couple of years when the 1DX2 (whatever) comes out. Meanwhile, that L glass is forever. Invest in glass. Don't worry to much about bodies.

You can rest assured that with practice, you will be able to throw up a 7D picture with your lens and put it up on the web side by side with other cameras and no one will be able to tell which one took the picture at equivalent focal lengths and the same lens. Printing large is a different issue. Sensor size does matter.

sumtiw wrote:
I am also not sure if this was a good place to ask these questions or not coz I have never seen anyone posting such questions here. So I will also add a few photos that I have taken in past. Wont be as good as you guys haha..

Ask whatever you want. Someone will help you. Don't let anyone tell you not to ask questions. That is how we all learn. When you stop learning, its time to pack it up ... Ask away. There are many wonderful and great photographers here that I know are more than willing to help people. They do it all the time. Ask anything you want.

sumtiw wroteComments and criticism is always most welcome. I would love to hear what you all think about my photos.

Great start. Dial down the flash. Crank up the shutter speeds. Find the birders. Find the local bird clubs and try e-bird. Go where the birders go.

Regards

Acjd

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:24 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Some general thoughts:

The 7D and 100-400mm combo is fine for wildlife, including birds. It has limitations, but for the money it's a nice outfit. Many accomplished photographers still use it especially because of its relatively light weight and maneuverability. Practice technique, learn from your mistakes, think and act as one with the immediate environment, and use patience and perseverance as even outstanding wildlife photographers are often unsuccessful in obtaining the "shot" desired. It's also helpful to study wildlife behavior as it will greatly assist in being"camera ready" prior to the action.

But eventually it clicks, and you'll improve. Your keepers will increase. It looks like you have made a very good start judging by your images. The learning never stops--or it shouldn't IMO. Seeking improvement will help keep you motivated. As the years progress, save some money and think about investing in more advanced gear, especially glass as a long-term investment. But that should come late in the learning curve (unless you have big bucks to burn!).

Brian M.

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

You do NOT need to use flash for photographing birds. The 7D and 100-400 is a great combo.

Check the shutter speeds and ISO on the following shots. First two were handheld, and last two on a tripod.

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:17 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Nice pics Sumer (esp the last one, very nice) and Tony. Tony, your results make me proud to be a fellow 7D owner. Now, if I could just get the results you do!

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:52 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Hi Sumer,

The photos you have put up show you can produce fine images. You have already received some excellent advice. One thing you need to remember is that there are many ways to approach some of your challenges and there is no specific right way though there are some things that usually are not good to do.

First off blur photos at moderate shutter speeds with the 100-400 IS indicates one of a few issues: Incorrect focus, motion blur causes by moving the camera when taking the photo, and/or image stabilization not working. Being that you show that excellent photo at 1/80 that would indicate that IS is working or your used support for the photo. A common cause of motion blur in photos with long lenses is not gently squeezing the shutter release. If you hit it fast and hard you will get blurred images even with IS or a tripod. This takes practice is probably your problem.

Outdoor fill flash is an advanced technique. You are best to work out the basics and then add fill flash. I do want to answer your question on how to get good flash exposures. Unless Canon has recently added something called “balanced fill flash” you need to dial in –EV flash compensation. This means you set up your camera to get a good ambient exposure and enable TTL flash exposure. You also dial in –EV compensation on the flash (Not the ambient exposure). As you want to partially fill in shadows and create catch light in the eyes. To leave some shadow, try about -1 1/3 EV to – 2 2/3 EV. This will amount will vary some depending on the ambient light on your subject and your taste. Always go less flash if you are not shore as too much flash is a very bad thing.

To find birds, see if there is a local birding club in your area and go to a meeting. You can also try the local photography club. You need to create a network of people that will tell you what is happening in your area and also where the good places are.

You need to developed your stalking skills. I’ve written a tip on this:
http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/StalkingWildlife.html

Most important, have fun and enjoy your wonderful photos.

Morris

Nov 06, 2013 at 10:19 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Sumer, I'd say you are getting some very good results. The 7d and 100-400 are capable. No matter what combo you have you will always despair when there is not enough light; It's a fact of photography. Tripods are cumbersome but I find them worth the effort. In most cases it's better to have birds come to you than to chase them. Having a feeder nearby helps with some birds. Check out your local Audubon association. Wildlife areas and national refuges are great places to find birds.

Nov 06, 2013 at 10:55 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Sumer, welcome ! Very nice first post . You have received a lot of wonderful advise from some very talented guys. They have helped and are still helping me

Look forward to seeing more from you.

Birdie

Nov 06, 2013 at 11:10 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Novice birder saying hello and asking a few questions

Goodness..
I am overwhelmed with all the replies here. It was Tons of wonderful information. I am grateful and thankful to all of you who took time to reply to my questions.
I have read every single reply at least 20 times and now I think I have enough theoretical knowledge to go and try some more shots this weekend.
I think I know where I wanna go this weekend. We have a big field right by a lake where a lot of prairie dogs live. Now the kind of prairie dogs that we have here, dont hibernate in winters so they make good food for raptors. I will go there and will spend the whole morning tomorrow. I hope I can learn more and will come back with at least one presentable image (well we all think that before going out dont we?).
Thank you very much again and have a beautiful productive weekend

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.