Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Irresponsible Seller on FM

georgeqiao
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Irresponsible Seller on FM

I am wondering what I can do about an irresponsible seller on the FM.

Recently I bought a Leica summicron 35mm ASPH from Dang Le (lnhd_113). The original listing is http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1244517/0#11887449.

This is the most expensive piece of glass I ever bought, and the one that I had longed for a long time. With trust I always had in FM members, I transacted through paypal gift. I was so excited about this purchase, and I even bought the matching leica hood for it.

However, this purchase turned out to be a mistake.

A few days later, the lens arrived in a bubble envelope, without any wrapping protection. I found the lens has more brassing than his photos show. But more problematic is that the lens wiggles so much on my new mm machine that I cannot lock the focus.

I wrote to Dang Le immediately to inquire, he asked me to just tighten the screw on the mount. I did, but when I tighten the screw on the mount, the focus ring cannot move. Then I have to loosen the screw, then it wiggles again. There is no way to figure out the balance. None of my other leica lenses has the same problem. I showed this lens to my friend Levin who is quite expert on leica glasses. He has not encountered anything like that. But it does look like that the problem should have existed before the shipping. So far, my life with this lens has been a constant battle between tightening or loosening the screws on the mount.

Then I wrote to Dang Le to ask for solution. I offered different options: I can either return it to him for a full refund, or send the lens for a CLA and share the cost. However, since then I have never heard back from Dang Le. I have written to him a few times, but he has never even bother to reply my messages. It has been a month now, not a single word from him.

In the past, I had bought a nikon 70-200 zoom lens from ebay, but I suspected the mechanics was a little stiff. The seller Dan not only offered full refund, but also sent the lens for a Nikon service at his own cost. After that, he even offered me to purchase it again at a discounted price, which I turned down. But I became friends with him and exchange photo techniques with him. I thought every responsible seller should behave like that.

I take this as a big lesson. I wished I had bought it through paypal regular, and now I have no protection whatsoever. I will also warn anyone who is attempted to do business with Dang Le. Take my lesson.

But I am wondering what I can do about it at this point?

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:05 PM
jasoninak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Irresponsible Seller on FM

Man, that's a bummer

A $1,800 lens in a bubble envelope, though? Wow. Not sure what you can do unfortunately, having used gift. How much would the CLA cost? I think I would just get the CLA done if the cost isn't astronomical, count it as a lesson learned, then really enjoy that chunk of glass you've wanted for so long.

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:19 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Irresponsible Seller on FM

When you did your gift (sic) payment did you use your credit card as the source of funds? If you did, you can file a complaint with your CC company. If not, I'd say you've been left holding the scheiss-end of the stick. Bubble wrap for an $1800 lens? I reckon you could bring Fred Miranda up to speed. The membership here could post on the original thread - as I just did - asking for Seller to explain himself. Beyond that, as Jason just said, you could chalk it up to experience, get it fixed on your dime and go on with life. Hopefully, folks reading this experience of yours will NEVER USE GIFT!!!!

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:09 PM
jasoninak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Irresponsible Seller on FM

Very good question about the CC company^ I'd explore that option first.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Irresponsible Seller on FM

As Anthony mentioned, Step 1 is "send a PM to Fred".

Use the "Moderated by:" link at the top right of the screen. Good luck with this.

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:03 AM
georgeqiao
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Irresponsible Seller on FM

Thank you so much guys! Unfortunately, when I paid through paypal gift, I did not use credit card. I will get the lens fixed soon, but it is just such experience makes me angry and sick. I really liked buying stuff on FM and generally had very good experiences. But now someone has obviously behaved so irresponsibly, which is so annoying while I could not do much about it.

I will write to Fred to see what he says. Thanks again!

Nov 07, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Irresponsible Seller on FM

I just got your PM.
I understand your frustration and to avoid situations like this, I highly discourage the use of Paypal Gift or any uninsured method of payment. This has been written in many of my own threads, and the Buy & Sell Rules and Guidelines.
What can be done about this now? You already posted a negative feedback for the seller. If you would like, I could contact him as well.
Let's continue this conversation via PM. Let me know if you would like to attempt to return the item.
Thanks,
Fred

Nov 07, 2013 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password