Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Will medium format ever go compact?

Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Will medium format ever go compact?

What a strange topic. Is this what you think about at night?!

Nov 07, 2013 at 06:12 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Will medium format ever go compact?

Jeffrey wrote:

Seems to have gotten your attention... ;-)

Nov 07, 2013 at 07:51 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Will medium format ever go compact?

Jeffrey wrote:

Why so strange. With the new Sony reviling the Pentax 645d image quality...it's a natural question to ask.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Will medium format ever go compact?

gdanmitchell wrote:
You might want to do a bit of study on that subject before you post something so adamantly wrong.

Study it? I have a degree with honours in it. You missed the gist of my post, which was that although technically MF, I've never been a fan of 645 negs.

I know the score - like you I do remember film.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:31 PM
wilt
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Will medium format ever go compact?

jcolwell wrote:
Riiight...

Put a 'slow' normal prime lens on the DSLR, and then show them from the side, or from above.

Yes, but the inherent difference in body depth is, in part, due to the larger space required for a 'normal' optic to be spaced from the focal plane, for medium format vs. for 135...75-80mm depth vs. 50mm depth. The film magazine itself is additionally deeper than 135 format because it puts the film farther back, than the SLR which spreads that dimension into the body width rather than to the body depth.

Measuring the body alone for Canon 40D (145x110x80mm) and ETRSi (including prism and film magazine, but not grip as pictured earlier) (125x130x95mm), there is only a 21% difference in volume (even less, if you factor in that the eyepiece itself protrudes back by 20mm farther than the back)...only about 5-10% more volume!

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:46 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Will medium format ever go compact?

Paul Mo wrote:
Study it? I have a degree with honours in it. You missed the gist of my post, which was that although technically MF, I've never been a fan of 645 negs.

I know the score - like you I do remember film.

Yep...that is why I shoot 6x7 and 6x9. If you are shooting MF, why go half way with 645.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Will medium format ever go compact?

Exactly - it always seemed more a way to save on film than anything. Now, 6x7 was sublime.

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Will medium format ever go compact?

Paul Mo wrote:
Study it? I have a degree with honours in it.

Where did you study that they taught you that "645 isn't really MF anyway..."?! ;-)

And for the other folks taking the (bizarre) position that MF and full frame DSLR systems are really about the same size... put functionally equivalent lenses on a typical full frame system (let's say a 5DIII) and a MF camera/back system. Pick them up. Carry them around for a while. Then get back to us... ;-)

Dan

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Will medium format ever go compact?

I've never considered a 645d to be a medium format camera other than that it uses the Pentax MF lenses. It's really a big digital camera. Medium format is a piece of film that is at least 2.25" square or about 6x6 cm up to 6x7, 6x9, 6x12 and ultimately 6x17.

OK, let the raging begin........

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Will medium format ever go compact?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Where did you study that they taught you that "645 isn't really MF anyway..."?! ;-)

C'mon Dan, did I, or did I not write (twice) that technically it is MF? And that it is my opinion that it is a poor cousin?

Now when it comes to digital the tide changes - 645D sensor? Yes, please!

Nov 07, 2013 at 09:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.