Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

alexduncan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

Earlier in the year, I was hired by a sponsor of one of the top CrossFit athletes in the world to attend a regional event and provide them with images of the athlete competing for use on the web and social media for promotional purposes. Fairly unfamiliar with pricing structure for this kind of shoot, I charged a measly $1000 for 3 days of shooting, edited images, and non-exclusive use for their promotional purposes.

Fast track to yesterday when I received a call from another company who is finalization a sponsorship deal with this athlete (who has since broken more records, represented well at the CrossFit Games, and also competed with the winning team at the CrossFit Worlds). This company was referred to me by the athlete’s manager and wants to retain my services for obtaining photos for packaging and promotional materials, as well as a few short (unedited) video clips for various purposes. I have outlined what they want specifically below:

-5-6 final shots on green screen of athlete pretending to hold product
-7 -10 final shots of athlete doing exercises
-7-10 final shots of athlete in general poses
-7-10 unedited 5-10 second video clips of athlete doing exercises, no sound

They want all shots to be print ready for use in packaging, promotional materials, and in-store cardboard cut-outs. Video will be used on TV screens during trade shows and online. The photos will be used in retailers across the 50 states and Canada, however they are a large international company. They want 5 year rights (is non-exclusive my best bet here?)

I’m really struggling with trying to figure out what the shoot/photos is worth. Other than expenses (travel, equipment/studio rental, MUA, assistant, etc), I want to figure out a price that allows me to be compensated fairly while not scaring off the client. All signs seem to be pointing to this company having a reasonable budget so I want to do this right the first time.

Any insight you guys have to offer is greatly appreciated.

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

Being in the states, I am not totally sure what the workings are in Canada, but here, I look at it this way.

Total buyout of images with non-exclusive rights by the client $$$$$$$
One year exclusive rights to the images, less money, but then if they want to continue using the images, they relicense it for a year. More liked by clients wallet.

The first way, the client can get what they want, and will try to negotiate a large sum down to pennies to the loonie (do you still use loonies?), and may never make contact with you again.
The second way, with all the uses documented (say they want to do displays, posters, and product package, but then later want to use the photos on their website or in a magazine ad, they would have to add that to the license later at more cost), with a one or two year contract, at the end of the contract you and the client touch base, if they want to continue using the images, you can relicense it to them for a little less, or if they want new photos, they may contract you again. I like this way better. It keeps you in the loop and you retain your copyright and it may end up getting you more work down the road.

As for what to charge, I use fotoquote. It inputs the region, the use, the quantity, basically all the details and it bases a quote off of all those details. Some people find it quotes a little high, but you can adjust it depending on the client and use (if Sony was wanting an image you could set it to 50% higher, but if a local non-profit wants an image you could decrease it to 75% of the quote, etc).

And remember, it is a negotiation. And if they ask why so much, tell them you are willing to negotiate. I had a magazine last year want an image and the quote I sent them was much higher than I expected, and I was willing to negotiate to a price I was happy with, and they took the first quote no problem. So while you think you might be asking too much, they may be willing to pay. You do not want to price it so low that you are giving your work away.

Sorry I could not give you a dollar amount, but I hope this helps.

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:00 PM
alexduncan

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

Carl Auer wrote:
Being in the states, I am not totally sure what the workings are in Canada, but here, I look at it this way.

Total buyout of images with non-exclusive rights by the client $$$$$$$
One year exclusive rights to the images, less money, but then if they want to continue using the images, they relicense it for a year. More liked by clients wallet.

The first way, the client can get what they want, and will try to negotiate a large sum down to pennies to the loonie (do you still use loonies?), and may never make contact with you again.
The second
...Show more

Thanks for the reply. The company seemed pretty adamant about having non-exclusive rights for 5 years so I am trying to base my pricing on that.

For what I described, I am coming up with almost $90,000 including licensing and expenses. Does this seem like a reasonable place to start negotiation? I apologize for being so naive, but I'm really not used to figuring out this type of arrangement.

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

I wonder if this would be more at home on the Pro Digital Corner, though that is not necessarily as highly trafficked as the Sports Corner.

How are you breaking down the fees (50 % production/creative, 50% licensing, etc.)? For instance if it takes $70,000 to shoot this (hypothetically speaking) and then $20,000 is for licensing may be different to the client than $20,000 to shoot and $70,000 for licensing.

Is this all going to be done in studio? (I assume at least the green screen shots are going to be.) Are you renting video lights and/or strobes? What else are you bring in and how are you planning on delineating these expenses?

Just trying to get more of a feel for what you're shooting.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:14 PM
alexduncan

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

Caleb Williams wrote:
I wonder if this would be more at home on the Pro Digital Corner, though that is not necessarily as highly trafficked as the Sports Corner.

How are you breaking down the fees (50 % production/creative, 50% licensing, etc.)? For instance if it takes $70,000 to shoot this (hypothetically speaking) and then $20,000 is for licensing may be different to the client than $20,000 to shoot and $70,000 for licensing.

Is this all going to be done in studio? (I assume at least the green screen shots are going to be.) Are you renting video lights and/or strobes? What else are
...Show more

The fees at the moment are broken down to about 80% licensing and 20% for the actual shoot and expenses. I will be renting studio space, video lights, strobes. Part of the shoot will also be in a CrossFit facility that will be arranged by the sponsor. I have built all of these expenses into the cost.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Mark Peters
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

http://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/fotoQuote-Pro/

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:38 AM
James L
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Approached by a large company and not sure what to charge...

Can you just figure your time for the photos and estimate based on local going rate for photo services just for the shooting piece. For licensing maybe look at different stock photo sites to see what their going rates are based on the licensing needs and maybe that will give you an idea where you should be licensing wise.

Ive priced commercial projects (products and staff) for websites and got feedback I was high and I was no where near a $90K range and my shoot list was a bit more intense than what you have.

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:33 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.