New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wireless File Transfering

StowePhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless File Transfering

Hi guys-

I am pondering something due to a job that I have coming up towards the end of December. I have been tasked to shoot family portraits in an outdoor setting, and have prints available on site, directly after the photo is taken. So, printing would take place inside a building very close by to where the outdoor photos are being taken.

I am not experienced with wireless transmission of files to a waiting laptop, that is tied in to a printer. Are you?

Is it an easy thing to deal with? What about needing an on camera flash for the photos, do they make hot shoe mounted wireless file transmitters that a flash can be attached to?

Any suggestions or wise words from someone with experience with this would be a huge help. Thanks!

Jesse

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless File Transfering

What camera do you shoot?

The cheapest and could in theory be the easiest would be to use a wifi SD card like the EYE-Fi .

I have a transcend wifi sd card and when it works it does very well (sending images to my iPad) But it is prone to loose its link . I think eye-Fi is supposed to be a bit more stable .

By the way if your camera is cf based (like mine) then you just get a cf/sd adapter .

Your camera MAY have a dedicated wireless add on . Most canon bodies do and I believe most Nikon ones as well .
The canon ones are not hotshoe mounted so the flash is still usable . I think if a canon body can have a grip (is non 1series) then the wireless transmitter is a bolt on grip . (They are not cheap )

I don't know that much about other options and the only time I've really noticed a full working wirless system in use is when at Disney . Just recently there and whenever you get photo'ed with a character the rig seems to be a Nikon with a wirless transmitter . When my kids saw Mickey the photos were transfered and up on the screen faster than we could walk do the corridor .

Nov 06, 2013 at 02:14 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless File Transfering

Hyperspace has a universal unit that I saw reviewed in one of the photo mags I get. I've been thinking on getting it since it is way cheaper than the canon way and isn't body dependent. I think it is called camranger.

That cand your camera and lighting gear plus the network router and your computer to send the images to connected to your printer. There was a program some use to print all files send to the watched directory.

If you need on site help and willing to cover travel and per deim I'll come and help you out with setup and teardown.

My plan before the camranger was to shoot have a runner come get the cards, have a salesman and a retouched to handle the files and print out the customer orders. So a 4person team for a weekend worth of shooting from early am to about dinner time then more sales for a couple hours then turn in. The after day one event sales are processed after dinner and before bed to be ready for delivery the next morning. Then do the same thing on Sunday except sales after event time are mailed out to the individual.

I would use LR to show images to customer and create a sales collection in their name ans add all images to the collection so thr retoucher knows what to work with I use exif notes to give spec directions from the salesman.

Under this setup you need a mn of 4people, 1 router, 4 computers, and one or more printers preferably one printer for each paper size so you don't have to change paper all the time the runner when not running cards will build the packages to deliver to the customer. Ie gather the prints cut images to size and insure every print that was ordered is put in the envelope for the custome so the retoucher just concentrates on the post and printing. The salesman talks the customers in to buying images and helps them with viewing the images. If everything goes as plan the photog will shoot a divider with each subjects name between subjects then the retoucher adds that keyword to the images and then they can search for just there images from all the runs of the day or browse all the images looking at friends and others shots. One computer is setup in kiosk mode with LR restricted to veiwing in grid and loupe modes only if possible but deafently restricted so nothing can br edited or deleted.
Then you can always add more kiosk computers depending on the size of the event.

Nov 06, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless File Transfering

Sorry but if you are more than about 30' away then it is not really going to work unless you have a very elaborate WI-Fi setup. You would really be better off just shooting then taking the card and printing after culling and minor touch up.

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:17 PM
StowePhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless File Transfering

Hi,

Thank you very much for your replies. By the feedback some of you have offered, the idea that I had, of being able to shoot, have that high-res file transferred wirelessly to my computer, where an assistant could then touch up quickly and print, is going to be more difficult than I first thought.

For starters, there is no wireless signal in the area I am shooting. Second, I will be shooting individual family portraits. Those families, in theory, would then be directed to go right inside to pick up their waiting print. So having a runner come grab the card simply does not make sense.

Could it possibly work to tether the camera to the computer with a very long active USB tethering cable? Something such as this: http://www.shop.tethertools.com/TetherPro-USB-30-SuperSpeed-Active-Extension-Cable-CU30.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google-shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=COiu8rqi0boCFcid4AodiXEA9Q

This one is said to be 30', but would it be possible to add on another 30', in theory? I could then pass the cord through a window or something similar to the waiting computer inside?

Do you think this would work?

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless File Transfering

Setting up a wifi network with a good extender would work the best. I have an extender that has a mile and half range most are limited to around 500' or so and the weaker the signal the slower the transfer.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:42 AM
StowePhoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless File Transfering

I think right now the most reliable situation is the long tether. I've researched it and learned I can get up to 80' without any signal loss. I THINK that would work. Walking the site this weekend to see if it would.

Nov 08, 2013 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.