Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

10rth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

I am gradually catching up to the news that Lightroom is moving to subscription pricing. (WTF.)

Are there any photographers here successfully using old versions of Lightroom?

I am asking because I am wondering if it is possible to anticipate successfully using Lightroom 5 for five to ten years for JPEG-only processing. (I don't expect Lightroom 5 to support RAW in future cameras, of course.)

Does Lightroom 5 require activation when installed, and if so, is there any possible reason for Adobe to disallow activation many years from now?

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:55 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

Yes, LR 5 and all LR products require activation.

5 to 10 years ? If you don't upgrade how are your new cameras going to be supported??

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:03 PM
markye
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

time to switch to aperture?

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:55 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

Where do you see that LR is moving to subscription? If you subscribe to PS, LR is included but I have not seen a LR only subscription.

Lukeb - he mentioned JPEG only. No camera specific support needed.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:15 PM
10rth

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

mhayes5254 wrote:
Where do you see that LR is moving to subscription? If you subscribe to PS, LR is included but I have not seen a LR only subscription.

Lukeb - he mentioned JPEG only. No camera specific support needed.

That's right. Some people say Fujifilm cameras are so good you don't really need RAW anymore.

I am under the impression that Lightroom will only be available with a Photoshop subscription in the future. Is that even correct?

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:40 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

Adobe has announced that LR will remain a licensed non-subscription product.

And you don't have to activate LR.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:00 PM
10rth

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

tomrock wrote:
Adobe has announced that LR will remain a licensed non-subscription product.

And you don't have to activate LR.

If that's true, that's great news and I apologize for spreading FUD. If not, then back to the drawing board.

(To address an earlier comment, I would likely be more interested in an alternative like Capture One rather than switching from Windows to another OS.)

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

That's right. Some people say Fujifilm cameras are so good you don't really need RAW anymore.

I am under the impression that Lightroom will only be available with a Photoshop subscription in the future. Is that even correct?

Shoot some test shots, raw and JPEG together and see if you can tolerate the JPEG-only life.
The flexibility of JPEGS in post is severely restricted compared to raw.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:27 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

10rth wrote:

That would only be true if all your viewing audience were computers. Apart from anything else, the jpeg format supported by all camera manufactures at the moment, is only 8 bits per color channel and either sRGB or AdobeRGB.

Brian A

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:40 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

I use Raw myself but JPEG is fine if you get it right in-camera. Just look at any post by Trenchmonkey (and others).

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:49 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

mhayes5254 wrote:
I use Raw myself but JPEG is fine if you get it right in-camera. Just look at any post by Trenchmonkey (and others).

It aint fine if you want to print at 16 bits per channel.

Brian A

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

IIRC, Adobe has indicated that for CS6 (not directly your question, I realize) perpetual licences they will still be providing support for future cameras (just not the upgrades to the program itself, as I understand it).

My reason for mentioning it is that even for the product that they are pushing to CC, they are still supporting future cameras ... LR should be fine without going to CC, although they may play the must upgrade to LR6 at some point. I don't see that being a deal breaker for most folks though, as long as it keeps them out of the CC (for those so inclined).

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

Keith B. wrote:
Shoot some test shots, raw and JPEG together and see if you can tolerate the JPEG-only life.
The flexibility of JPEGS in post is severely restricted compared to raw.

I dunno, RAW is /mostly/ about shadow and highlight recovery for me. If you're careful with your exposure settings and the camera is good at DR and NR then RAW may not be required. I can "tolerate" Jpegs even from the GH1 if I'm careful - usually. With the GH2 now the only reason I shoot RAW is to make up for me being a sloppy camera operator - /mostly/. I assume the Fuji in question is better at NR and DR than the GH2?

Nov 06, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

LR5 - I'll be using it for as long as it is feasible.

LR will become sub. based - Adobe won't be able to resist for long.

Jpegs - not for me. It's too hard to remove colour casts and I don't like crushed blacks. YMMV.

Nov 06, 2013 at 01:34 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

Brian, Why do you think 16 bit matters for printing? Everything I have read suggests 8 vs 16 bit printing does not matter. For example:

http://www.olegnovikov.com/technical/epson4880/epson4880_8vs16bit.shtml

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:45 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

mhayes5254 wrote:
Brian, Why do you think 16 bit matters for printing? Everything I have read suggests 8 vs 16 bit printing does not matter. For example:

It matters, but not much currently. It matters enough that the Mac OS offers it and Canon deems it important enough that their plugins offer it. It will matter more as things progress and output device gamuts improve.

It matters mostly now when editing in a wide space, like ProPhotoRGB.

There were 4 and 8 bit processors. There were 16 bit processors. Why would anyone need more than 1 MB of addressable memory?

'Black and white was great, I have never understood the need for color.'

It depends on how you value using your images in say five to ten years. There is always a bottleneck, but the image file shouldn't be the bottleneck.

Brian A

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:04 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

LR5 better than LR4 for tethered shooting?

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:20 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

mhayes5254 wrote:

Sorry I forgot the link. It is a little old, and part of my point. It talks of 12 bit in camera AD convertors; I have been using 14 for some time. The printers mentioned, 3800 and 4880, are no longer in production, and the files for the test are in a relatively small color space: AdobeRGB.

Brian A

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:00 AM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

Can you run Lightroom on 2 computers as long as it's not at the same time? I have a smaller notebook for travel and don't like to take my giant (but fast) w530 out in the field.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lightroom 5 now and forever?

Yes. That is how I do it. Does not matter if it is at the same time.

Dec 12, 2013 at 03:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.