Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Since the all important, holiest, frenzied, season of buying is fast approaching I thought it might be fun if people posted some suggestions for things to think of for gifts or something for ourselves

I was thinking of NOT including traditional things like cameras, lenses or normal tripods. Instead accessories or other things that help us become better landscape photographers. Things like- great lights for lighting up nightscapes, special boots for wading in streams, a clamp that allows you to stick your camera in unique spots, anything that you have purchased that you found to be particularly useful or fun.

My suggestions are:

A super warm parka from go lite. This company sells direct to consumers only. I find their products to be a great value. I got sick of freezing to death and trying to take pictures at dawn with numb fingers. This coat and a couple of pocket warmers and I am toasty and happy. Other than a somewhat fussy zipper it is perfect. Light, compressible and warm! I might not suggest it if you want super tough for climbing over barbed wire and the like but otherwise it is great. It has allowed me to focus on my photography. I think I have an older model than this one but it is similar http://www.golite.com/Mens-Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka-P46883.aspx

The photo pils app. http://www.photopills.com/ Really useful app for finding the sun moon etc. Has some neat ways to figure out days when the sun or moon will be in a certain location, The artificial day and night modes make visualizing star trails or the milky way easy. Well worth the money.

Lets hear your ideas. Cheers Brian

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:20 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Time to go out and wander around and contemplate and make photographs...

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

where's Jim?

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Pffft!

A tank of gas is all you need to go take pictures!

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Geez you guys sure are short around here....Some gear is important to be able to capture the good stuff.

It might be common knowledge for experienced hikers, but the best cheap things I bought and started using all the time (even in warmer weather) is a pair of light liner socks, with a larger wool sock on the outside. Keeps feet dry for the long hikes, and reduces foot rubbing. I havent had an actual blister once this year even with +60km of hiking in the span of a few days.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:51 PM
river rover
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Well I don't think this post will be here that long, but one thing that saved my bacon while shooting startrails the last few windy, cool nights are what my wife calls my "bum gloves," fingerless gloves with a fold over fleece mitten. I take a pair of the rounded toe warmers with adhesive on them and stick them to the inside of the mitten section. toasty digits and instant dexterity when i need it.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:58 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Justin Grimm wrote:
Geez you guys sure are short around here....Some gear is important to be able to capture the good stuff.

The moderators may offer their own reminder soon, but in the meantime... perhaps the OP isn't aware that the landscape forum is not a place to discuss gear? Might want to consider reposting in one of the gear forums.

Take care,

Dan

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:07 PM
dakel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

For me, a good pair of sunglasses (Oakley is my choice brand here because of their amazing lenses and durable frames) and a good hat.

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:09 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Jeffrey wrote:
where's Jim?

Probably out buying more gear... NOT

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:13 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

gdanmitchell wrote:
Time to go out and wander around and contemplate and make photographs...

+1
I may want some new piece of gear/toy but what I really need is to use what I have effectively and with a vision.

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

danh920
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

great stocking stuffer is the op/tech rain sleeves

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-18-Inch/dp/B000PTFDYO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383672313&sr=8-4&keywords=camera+cover+rain

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:26 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Wow tough crowd. Sorry I upset some people. I was just trying to have some fun and maybe learn a thing or two. I do think stuff and the pursuit of it can get in the way.. but sometimes it can make our photography better and or safer. For example that photo pils app helps me get to the best locations in certain light. I was glad I learned it existed and was just trying to share. Feel free to pull the topic no hard feelings. Thanks to the people who are sharing their ideas. Brian.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:06 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

For winter I would love some comfortable very warm waterproof boots that are not too heavy but have a removable booty inside for use in camp and tent. So basically a nice double boot that is good for hiking but isnt too large and heavy. I really haven't found one. I can only find good ones for town use (big/heavy) and motorized winter sports (big and heavy also) or extreme mountaineering boots. Any ideas? I learned my lesson that even gore tex Hiking Boots are not good for waiting a sunrise in the cold (my feet almost froze).

The Parka I got years ago (Awesome Outdoor Research Superplume down Parka) and love it.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:27 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Instead of fooling with holders and changing ND filters, I like my Marumi Variable ND (doesn't help when grads are needed).

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

Brian, this can be a grumpy bunch, but I don't think anyone's 'upset' to any degree.

With 90+% of most photo forums full of breathless, anxious, over-the-top gear dweebery, it's nice to have a quite little corner like this where we can escape the noise.

FWIW, my reply was meant somewhat tongue in cheek, and not as a 'zinger.'

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:42 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

danh920 wrote:
great stocking stuffer is the op/tech rain sleeves

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-18-Inch/dp/B000PTFDYO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383672313&sr=8-4&keywords=camera+cover+rain

+100

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

briancphoto wrote:
Wow tough crowd. Sorry I upset some people.

No one is upset, but we're trying to help you get your post into a place where it is more on track.

Take care,

Dan

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

A good set of trekking poles. I never really understood why people used them until I tried them. They allow you to be much more efficient by using your upper body to propel you forward, and they help to hold your position on hills so your legs need only to take care of the forward motion. On each trip, I can usually attribute my poles from saving a twisted ankle, but there was one trip a couple years ago where they prevented me from falling off a cliff.

Nov 06, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Henga
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

A good wood stove like the Vargo Hexagon wood stove. It's lightweight, very compact, efficient and can work in every season. BTW, the process of cooking with a wood stove is quite enjoyable. The only drawback is to have wood/stalks near you, of course.
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon-backpacking-wood-stove.html#.Unp_EeDvX4c

Ben Horne wrote:
A good set of trekking poles. I never really understood why people used them until I tried them. They allow you to be much more efficient by using your upper body to propel you forward, and they help to hold your position on hills so your legs need only to take care of the forward motion. On each trip, I can usually attribute my poles from saving a twisted ankle, but there was one trip a couple years ago where they prevented me from falling off a cliff.

I agree, you can only enjoy a long trek with a good set of trekking poles.
I personally use a pair of Guidetti trekking poles and I highly recommend them. They are very well made, very comfortable and they are not too expensive.
http://guidetti-rando.com/coming_soon/dl/CAT_BD.pdf

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:43 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stuff you should buy- Post ideas here

In case nobody noticed, the holidays are still a couple of months away. Lest we forget, Thanksgiving is still 3 weeks away. I'm already getting tired of all the christmas advertising.

Nov 08, 2013 at 05:05 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password