Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Image too large to process - What?

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Image too large to process - What?

I was attempting to shoot a panorama yesterday of a valley in fall color. I took a 24 image sequence; using 35mm Zeiss & 5 DIII. When I sent to merge in CS5 it popped up that the image is too large to process. Never experienced this before. What is it & how do I by-pass it? Thank you, Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Image too large to process - What?

Increase the size of your cache, close down all other programs, get more ram and a faster processor. That's a whole heck of a lot of images and the photomerge feature in CS5 is both a memory hog and extremely inefficient. Honestly, I would try using PTGUI or Autopano Pro.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:01 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #3 · Image too large to process - What?

That isn't a lot of images for CS55
You need to specify your system specs

Henrik

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:50 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Image too large to process - What?

Beni wrote:
Increase the size of your cache, close down all other programs, get more ram and a faster processor. That's a whole heck of a lot of images and the photomerge feature in CS5 is both a memory hog and extremely inefficient. Honestly, I would try using PTGUI or Autopano Pro.

Reset / increased system as recommended. I will also check out the other programs. Thank you, Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:32 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Image too large to process - What?

tived wrote:
That isn't a lot of images for CS55
You need to specify your system specs

Henrik

Henrik, I believe this is what you requested:: Windows 7 prem.; Intel core i5 cpu; 650 @ 3.2 GHZ; 8 gig. memory. Thank you for your interest. Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:37 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Image too large to process - What?

Jim,
If I remember correctly you're working off a laptop so may have memory limitations. I've found 16GB to be the sweet spot in image manipulation. If you can get to that - and bluntly RAM is cheap - it should help overall. Personally I've been using Stitcher Pro though I'm not sure if it is still supported. Ps is good for a lot of things but I find in some key areas, stitching and HDR for example, 3rd party programs do a better job.

Let's see the pix when you get it done.

Robert

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Image too large to process - What?

You don't have nearly enough ram for that operation. PhotoMerge is ram intensive and if there's not enough, that's what happens. That is the main advantage of having a 64 bit OS - ram capacity only limited by how many slots you've got. If you're on a laptop, you may be limited, but you really want to be in the 16-32 gb range or even more as a minimum if you're doing a lot of multi image merges.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Image too large to process - What?

I've done 80 images from a 5D before on my old machine, core 2 duo, 8GB RAM. Autopano didn't crash once. Photoshop freezes my more modern build every time. It really isn't that well written for stitching.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:40 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Image too large to process - What?

OntheRez wrote:
Jim,
If I remember correctly you're working off a laptop so may have memory limitations. I've found 16GB to be the sweet spot in image manipulation. If you can get to that - and bluntly RAM is cheap - it should help overall. Personally I've been using Stitcher Pro though I'm not sure if it is still supported. Ps is good for a lot of things but I find in some key areas, stitching and HDR for example, 3rd party programs do a better job.

Let's see the pix when you get it done.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I was using our laptop when we visited Arizona. Now, I am on the desktop. It seem I do not have enough Ram so I am off to get more Ram. I definitely will check out third party programs. Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:43 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Image too large to process - What?

Peter Figen wrote:
You don't have nearly enough ram for that operation. PhotoMerge is ram intensive and if there's not enough, that's what happens. That is the main advantage of having a 64 bit OS - ram capacity only limited by how many slots you've got. If you're on a laptop, you may be limited, but you really want to be in the 16-32 gb range or even more as a minimum if you're doing a lot of multi image merges.

Thank you. I am going to bump my Ram to 32. I also will be checking out third party programs. Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Image too large to process - What?

Beni wrote:
I've done 80 images from a 5D before on my old machine, core 2 duo, 8GB RAM. Autopano didn't crash once. Photoshop freezes my more modern build every time. It really isn't that well written for stitching.

This is a relatively new computer and my 3rd upgrade on Photoshop. This upgrade is the slowest I have ever had. Couple that with LR4's snail pace and my PP has taken a dramatic reduction. Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Image too large to process - What?

The i5-650 CPU has a max memory limitation of 16GB, the main-board design and number of useable memory slots may further restrict that.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43546/

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:08 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Image too large to process - What?

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
The i5-650 CPU has a max memory limitation of 16GB, the main-board design and number of useable memory slots may further restrict that.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43546/

I just checked the system and found the samething. Going after new sticks now. Thank you, Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:51 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #14 · Image too large to process - What?

hi Jim,

8gb ram isn't much these days but I don't think that is what caused your problem.

How much free space on your hard drives do you have?

I have done pano's on my laptop too with 8gb ram, without this problem with 10x the number of images, but I used two external hard drives to create more temp space - it wasn't fast but it did deliver a pano the following morning.

Though Photoshop has a reasonable stitcher in PhotoMerge it's its blender that is really good.

There are more efficient pano programs even Microsoft ICE which is free as well as Hugin are very good.

The two preferred are PTGui and AutopanoPro/Giga, to me it's also the order of which is better (for me at least)

Panorama making is rather taxing on your system resources
Look up PTGUI Speedtest and that will give you an idea of where your system sits

All the best
Tived

oldrattler wrote:
Henrik, I believe this is what you requested:: Windows 7 prem.; Intel core i5 cpu; 650 @ 3.2 GHZ; 8 gig. memory. Thank you for your interest. Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:59 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Image too large to process - What?

tived wrote:
hi Jim,

8gb ram isn't much these days but I don't think that is what caused your problem.

How much free space on your hard drives do you have?

I have done pano's on my laptop too with 8gb ram, without this problem with 10x the number of images, but I used two external hard drives to create more temp space - it wasn't fast but it did deliver a pano the following morning.

Though Photoshop has a reasonable stitcher in PhotoMerge it's its blender that is really good.

There are more efficient pano programs even Microsoft ICE which is free as well as Hugin
...Show more

Thank you. I have plenty memory (1TB). I just ordered 16 Gig of ram and am checking on external programs. Jim

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:26 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #16 · Image too large to process - What?

Hi Jim,

do you have one TB free, and have you told PS where it is?
within Windows version of Photoshop
EDIT/PREFERENCES/PERFORMANCE/SCRATCH DISK
on Mac is top left corner Photoshop Preferences PREFERENCES/PERFORMANCE/SCRATCH DISK

PS: its written from memory! I am not a Geek

Henrik

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:02 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Image too large to process - What?

tived wrote:
Hi Jim,

do you have one TB free, and have you told PS where it is?
within Windows version of Photoshop
EDIT/PREFERENCES/PERFORMANCE/SCRATCH DISK
on Mac is top left corner Photoshop Preferences PREFERENCES/PERFORMANCE/SCRATCH DISK

PS: its written from memory! I am not a Geek

Henrik

I have 826 gig free on the hard drive thatCS5 runs on.

Nov 06, 2013 at 03:26 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #18 · Image too large to process - What?

Well this should be sufficient space

24 photos isn't a lot of photos even with 8gb of ram

Can you repeat the problem?

Henrik

Nov 06, 2013 at 06:38 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Image too large to process - What?

Is there a pixel limit, such as 50,000 pixels on the long side of any image that is being edited ?

- Alan

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:18 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #20 · Image too large to process - What?

There shouldn't be Alan,

I have a 7.5 x 2.5 meter print hanging at UWA art gallery atm

Henrik

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password