New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              13       14       end

Archive 2013 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

Recent body releases by Sony and Nikon have caused a lot of excitement. What will Canon do in response? Does this mean we can look forward to the release of particularly exciting Canon full frame bodies in 2014?

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

Yes. The 7D2 will be released in January featuring the KAF-5101CE sensor.

Followed by the release of a compact full frame in March, the Canon 9D, reprising the DCS Pro 14n sensor giving 11 stops of dynamic range.

Nov 05, 2013 at 04:46 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

David Baldwin wrote:
Recent body releases by Sony and Nikon have caused a lot of excitement. What will Canon do in response? Does this mean we can look forward to the release of particularly exciting Canon full frame bodies in 2014?

I hope not. Canon needs a better sensor in a performance body, but not goofy niche stuff like the new Nikon or the very limited Sonys.

EBH

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:33 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

I doubt if canon will come out with a full frame mirrorless camera if that's what you're asking. A 7d2 will very likely come out with dual pixel af, and potentially more that 19 point convential phase detect af. rebels will also come out with evolutionary upgrades. I don't think a new 1d or 5d are coming in 2014

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

I'm saving for a 3D. 45 MPx.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

I want a 35MP-40MP sensor from Canon. In a DLSR housing.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:36 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the Sony able to take my current lens. Preliminary results look fantastic. I've been waiting for any kind of signs from Canon regarding a new high resolution sensor...but the lights have been off.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

I'm upping the ante: after reading of the pixel density of the 70D extrapolated to FF size, I want a 50+MP body with articulated touch screen and Wi Fi. Or you'll never see your little dog, Toto (or the band of the same name), again.

PS -- in the US, the grade point between D and f is 0.5. Just saying.

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:37 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

timbop

"I doubt if canon will come out with a full frame mirrorless camera if that's what you're asking. A 7d2 will very likely come out with dual pixel af, and potentially more that 19 point convential phase detect af. rebels will also come out with evolutionary upgrades. I don't think a new 1d or 5d are coming in 2014"

I hear you. I truly hope you are wrong, but I hear you! Last Canon DSLR release that quickened my pulse was that of the 5D2. I'm hoping for some sort of step change, just a little bit of evolution (again) would be disappointing and keep my cheque writing hand still for yet another year.

I bet the 16 mpx Nikon is a killer at high ISO/low light, and the Sony offers incredible high res at a low price.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:08 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

David Baldwin wrote:

Yes, Canon should definitely 'respond' to a couple of small niche market offerings...haha. That is how every big company works. They should rush out a half baked product to answer Nikon and Sony. The rumours have already been around for months about a 7D2 and a high MP FF in 2014, I'd assume they will be released on Canons schedule. True to form, they will be bashed and other people will happily buy them as always.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

Gunzorro wrote:
I'm upping the ante: after reading of the pixel density of the 70D extrapolated to FF size, I want a 50+MP body...

Good point. The 3D should be about 51 MPx. I was scaling old-tech.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:31 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

The Nikon DF has been added to the Camera Size Comparison Database:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#495,378

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

jcolwell wrote:
I'm saving for a 3D. 45 MPx.

You know, if the rumors are true about Canon investing and/or buying Phase One, that might not be too far off the mark...

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:51 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

The next release for Canon will be the M2, perhaps a new lens for it, just in time for xmas, a slew of low-end pointers with one being a new splashtic-fantastic underwater shooter in multicolor, and perhaps one or two DSLR announcements...if the end of 2013 bears any more fruit.

Otherwise, no breath holding please

As for this new dark side retro beast, nice styling, not so nice pricing, but it seems these new designers missed the boat a bit, they went as far as allowing use of and metering for ALL Nikkor lenses including the fantastic Ai and non-Ai glass...but no flocking interchangeable focusing screens for those beautiful 'manual focus only' lenses...

What is wrong with these folks, there's a bit of history in the Nikkor vault to reference right
Canon user, to some fanboy, but really no split-prism for my Noct f1.2, these are gonna sell just fine

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:06 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

7D2 for sure. Hoping it is the pro 1.6x crop body many of us have wanted. A mini 1DX would be nice.

The rumor of Canon dropping the 1DX's price and announcing/releasing a high MP 1D sounds very plausible. Unifying the 1D body never made any sense.

Oh, I almost forgot. For the love of God please return to the 1D4 like AF point illumination design!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:40 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

jctriguy wrote:
Yes, Canon should definitely 'respond' to a couple of small niche market offerings...haha. That is how every big company works. They should rush out a half baked product to answer Nikon and Sony.

Hopefully they learned their lesson as they already tried that with the EOS-M.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

Unbeleivable how so many people in so many threads know so much about so many things that don't exist.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:31 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

Jeffrey wrote:
Unbeleivable how so many people in so many threads know so much about so many things that don't exist.

Elaborate please!

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:38 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

ggreene wrote:
7D2 for sure. Hoping it is the pro 1.6x crop body many of us have wanted. A mini 1DX would be nice.

The rumor of Canon dropping the 1DX's price and announcing/releasing a high MP 1D sounds very plausible. Unifying the 1D body never made any sense.

Oh, I almost forgot. For the love of God please return to the 1D4 like AF point illumination design!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, a 1DX or 5DMkIII-like AF system would be great but with FAR greater pixel density than those cameras, I hope.

And yes, why Canon moved away from its wonderful AF point illumination design is bizarre.

But I still love Canon ergonomics, glass, and generally beautiful design. (Have to stay in good Canon graces with this qualifier)

Brian M.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:59 PM
mmbma
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon after release of A7, A7r and Df

they must be sweating their balls in the board room. need to have a retro!

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.