Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

Mikael Risedal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

RCicala wrote:
After going through all my test results it seems that (at about 13 feet distance at least) the 58 has a moustache shaped field curvature: the center and corners are at their sharpest at the same focusing distance while the middle 1/3 is a bit out of focus and is at it's sharpest just a bit backfocused from there (multiple copies tested, of course). That may account for some of the softness in the photos posted.

It clears up by f/2.8, but wide open it's noticeable.

sombrero effect like other Nikon lenses

Nov 10, 2013 at 07:21 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

Blog post is up FWIW. Not a lot to conclude -- Nikon made it clear this one isn't about the resolution and that's what I tested.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:49 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

RCicala wrote:
Blog post is up FWIW. Not a lot to conclude -- Nikon made it clear this one isn't about the resolution and that's what I tested.

Thanks Roger. The bokeh examples I've seen of the 58mm remind me of the 50L f/1.2, a lens I love for its OOF rending and which also isn't the sharpest wide-open. I wonder how the two compare.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

RCicala wrote:

Roger--

Really great analysis, thanks.

If there's any chance that you might have the time to do so, comparing the Voigtländer 58/1.4 to the new Nikkor. It might be interesting because of the (nearly) equivalent FOV. The former lens, as I recall, has no aspherical surfaces despite being a more modern design than the NOCT.

Edited on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

There is a little onion skinning in the Nikkor 58 bokeh, not surprising given the aspherical elements, but it's not pronounced (certainly less than the Sigma 35mm f/1.4).

I'll look at comparing the Voigtlander - I just didn't think of that when I was setting this up. We've got some. While I love the Voigt lenses the complete inability to get one repaired in the U. S. makes it kind of a specialty item for us so it's not the first thing I think of.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

Thanks for the updates, Roger. The geeky stuff was interesting. I am quite interested to see the Voigt comparison, too...

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

RCicala wrote:
I'll look at comparing the Voigtlander - I just didn't think of that when I was setting this up. We've got some. While I love the Voigt lenses the complete inability to get one repaired in the U. S. makes it kind of a specialty item for us so it's not the first thing I think of.

I thought Stephen Gandy does repairs, given that he's the official US distributor. I believe he says he does the warranty work.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

j.liam wrote:
I thought Stephen Gandy does repairs, given that he's the official US distributor. I believe he says he does the warranty work.

Things may have changed. Historically 'warranty work' meant a trip to Asia or a wait of months for parts from Asia. It may have changed - we got to where we just scavenged parts from one to repair the other, etc. so I haven't tried recently.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
low325
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · wow. that 58 looks like crap !

really cool, thanks roger!
LENSRENTALS.COM ROCKS!

Nov 11, 2013 at 02:35 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.