Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the y...

KaBudokan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the year approaches?

I'm considering investing in a 70-200 VRII sometime soon. I've been bouncing back and forth between getting a new lens or a used lens. (I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 that just makes me sad whenever I use it...)

When I first start considering it (but wasn't quite ready), Nikon was running the package deal where you could get a $300 instant rebate on the lens with the purchase of a body. One of the stores (Adorama maybe?) was also doing a rebate on one of the mid-to-higher-end Canon printers with a DSLR purchase - I think it was a $400 rebate or so on the $550-600 printers.

By my calculations, I could have bought the 70-200, a D3200, and the printer, and after reselling, I would have ended up paying about $1900-2000 for the lens.

At that price, it's easy to justify the cost for new vs. used in order to get the 5-year warranty coverage.

Anyway - I don't have enough knowledge about what's typical or likely to expect as we move into the end of the year. I know it's generally only a couple times a year that Nikon does promotions.

Any guesses or explanations of what's typical for Nikon to offer?

Thanks in advance!!!

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:43 PM
jyo1

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the year approaches?

If your Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is disapointing you---SELL IT! Over the years, I've owned a continuing stream of the Nikon 80-200/70-200 f2.8 lenses---starting with the 80-200 f2.8D (push-pull), moving on to the two-ring version, then the AF-S version, then the VR1 and finally the VR2. ALL served well---didn't really lose too much money when switching and still LOVE my VR2 (I tend to favor telephoto work over wide-angle---just my style). I've learned several things over the years---if a particular piece of equipment doesn't suit you, push it down the road...
As for what Nikon is going to release by way of new lenses---only Nikon knows...

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:42 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the year approaches?

I'm going to get rid of it fairly soon. I'm only into it for $550, and I think I can get close to that back from it.

Yeah, there's the tiny voice in the back of my mind wondering when there will be an update to the 70-200 2.8 VRII, but... Not really waiting on that at all.

I am honestly just wondering if there will be an opportunity for me to save a couple hundred bucks on a new Nikon 70-200 soon. Last year I wasn't really in the market around the holiday season, and I remember there were a few deals on various Nikon items, so I was wondering if there was any kind of standard type sale I could expect.

Nov 06, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the year approaches?

The 70-200VR I or II arr two of the most amazing lenses you will ever own. They should be on everyone's bucket list, like owing your own tuxedo.

Nov 06, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the year approaches?

You can get a like new condition for under $2000. I sold my lightly used VRII for $1800, paid $2400 new. I 'upgraded' to the 70-200 F4, zero regrets. If you don't need 2.8 its a no brainer, $1400 new. You might find a great deal on used one too. I doubt there's a glut of used ones, can't imagine many people bought them and decided to sell after using them. Unless you're married to the warranty idea.

Good luck

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:50 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the year approaches?

It is typical for Nikon to do a sale like you described between black Friday and XMAS. I see no indication that this year would be any different than in the past.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:55 AM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any guesses as to what (if any) lens sales to expect as the end of the year approaches?

Thanks everyone! I do a decent amount of concert shooting (much of which is in relatively low light even for concerts), so the 2.8 is pretty important. I considered the f4, but the 2.8 is what I want, and sometimes need. I thought about getting the new Tamron, which has great reviews, but the Nikon is definitely what I want, so I'll just splurge.

It would be super neato, swell, and keen if Nikon decided to just do a $300 sale on the lens and I didn't have to hawk a body to save some money, but that probably won't happen.

On a somewhat related note - has anyone ever been to a Nikon "event" with a factory rep at a B&M store? Our local "real" camera shop is having one this week. There will be "specials," they say. I went to one before (for Tamron) at the same place, and their big deal was an additional $25 rebate on the $1400 70-200 2.8. That was obviously not enough to sway me from my Nikon dreams...

Nov 07, 2013 at 03:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.