Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photographer vs. Bull

photoelle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photographer vs. Bull

Literally! This terrible incident happened yesterday at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, in Toronto, Canada. I am an official photographer there, and this fellow was around quite a bit while I was shooting my assigned horse show classes. He had a press pass. This shows why only experienced officials, the judge, the ringmaster and myself are allowed inside the ring during the horse show, but The Royal does not run this rodeo. Animals are unpredictable at all times, and its very tempting to get too close.

http://youtu.be/FEfcTxVrDTM

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:30 PM
mkchang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photographer vs. Bull

Why on earth were they on the inside of the ring?

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:40 PM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photographer vs. Bull

I don't know, I'm totally surprised he was allowed in there at all, I've never seen a photog in a bull ring. The videographer shouldn't have been there either.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:05 PM
mirandamember
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photographer vs. Bull

There is a very funny FM'er, Trenchmonkey, who has posted some great rodeo event shots. He'll likely have a few choice words to say about this when he stumbles upon it.

I hope the guy in the video is ok. Nasty toss.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:20 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photographer vs. Bull

Wow, I bet he doesn't do that again...I hope he is alright or heals quickly...

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:08 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photographer vs. Bull

Clearly impact damage

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photographer vs. Bull

lukeb wrote:
Clearly impact damage

Naah he was shooting Canon, they would just assume it won't focus because of that, and will fix it under warranty anyway.

BTW with Insurance regulations being what they are, I'm seriously surprised he was in there with the bull for this to happen in the first place. Clearly not a professional photographer. Had he been he would have known better than to dance with a bull in the ring!

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Jay_Be
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photographer vs. Bull

If he'd shot bull riding before he'd know only too well that you don't go in that ring. Shooting through the fence is dangerous enough and you have to be ready to get the hell right away from it when the bull gets cranky and comes looking for someone to take it out on. I've seen a bull knock over a fence and everyone behind it, injuring a number of people. The bloke in the video is a bloody idiot and the organisers along with him. A very hard lesson learned.

Nov 05, 2013 at 03:21 AM
kateman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photographer vs. Bull

OMG...
way worse than shooting feeder leagues in arena football.
Go bull!
thanks for sharing this, photoelle.
B

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photographer vs. Bull

wow...still pretty intense in slo mo...

Chris

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:13 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photographer vs. Bull

photoelle wrote:
Literally! This terrible incident happened yesterday at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, in Toronto, Canada. I am an official photographer there, and this fellow was around quite a bit while I was shooting my assigned horse show classes. He had a press pass. This shows why only experienced officials, the judge, the ringmaster and myself are allowed inside the ring during the horse show, but The Royal does not run this rodeo. Animals are unpredictable at all times, and its very tempting to get too close.

http://youtu.be/FEfcTxVrDTM

The photographer in that footage should have been up on the panels as soon as the rider was bucked and not a target in the middle of the arena holding his hand out like a bull fighter will do to keep the bull at bay.

I've done my fair share of rodeo photography from within the ring ( especially bulls ) and here are the rules I go by:

-stay close to the panels so you can take evasive action

-if possible, use a 300-400 mm lens so you are far away from the action towards the end of the arena

-know the quality of bulls and level of competition

-never look on the back of your camera while in the ring and a bull is loose

I have been chased by bulls several times at rodeos and some were very close calls. They will go after anything in the arena if they have a mind to and nothing will stop them.

Rodeo photography from within the arena is only for someone who is familiar with livestock...steers, sheep, goats, calves, bulls or horses. This goes for a PRCA, SEBRA, Little Britches or county fair rodeo!

Even photographing the riding classes of a horse show from the center of the arena can be a problem if you don't know what you are doing.

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:05 AM
terrat
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photographer vs. Bull

I can't imagine being in the ring with camera gear in the middle of a bull ride. The idea was spine tingling. What a scary video!
Some bulls are SO GOOD at what they do. A short slideshow from this summer's Prichard, BCRA > http://www.littleshuswapstudio.com/rodeo-bull/

I love a good rodeo but want to keep on the outside of the fence.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:24 AM
RG808

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photographer vs. Bull

Wow! That's so crazy! Flipped him like a toy.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photographer vs. Bull

This is common the last couple of years I've noticed. I didn't even shoot the one and only that I used to every year. Hard to compete with those shots.
Of course I still have my heath though.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photographer vs. Bull

Update: Apparently the photog ended up with a broken rib, and busted lens. I found out he is an experienced photo journalist, and is the official photog for the organizers. However, I couldn't find anything about whether he had any experience with personally handling livestock. I think its essential to have extensive experience with any livestock before getting into the ring with them. I have owned & shown horses for over 30 years, but I'd never go in a ring with cattle, because I don't know them well enough.

Also, I heard from our local press guys that he has his own separate insurance coverage, and that is why he was allowed inside the ring.

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photographer vs. Bull

photoelle wrote:
Upd

Also, I heard from our local press guys that he has his own separate insurance coverage, and that is why he was allowed inside the ring.

You can insure for stupidity?

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photographer vs. Bull

I use to do it all the time when I wasn't riding. Been chased a few times but never caught but that was 20+ years ago. I saw that with the PBR the built a circler area inside the ring for photographers that way they up close to the action but protected by a fence panel that unlike the exterior panels is very rigid because of the small size and few panels.

If the bull wranglers are doing Ther job after saving the rider then their goal is to lead the bull to the exit gate unless the bull is on the farside of the areana then it's the pickup guys duty to safely escourt the bull back to the exit gate. This doesn't always happen but that is the tastings.

So someone who is familiar with the bulls and know which ones play unfair, some quit all excitement at the bell/horn if the rider is already taken care of and stops finds the gate and walks over to it. You will not be shooting much during this time anyway unless something goes wrong then the bullfighter will be protecting the down rider as the medics come running to free up the bull fighter so they may remove the bull. Otherwise your focus should be on the rider and animal. You can shoot from the crows nest or behing the chute for some events but those would be my remote setups as the best view is usually from between the rider/animal and the spectators since that what they are used to seeing another remote would be on the fense in front of them my remotes are normally setup to fire when my main body does, some might even have a light going off with it if required.

Edited on Dec 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Graham Crowthe
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photographer vs. Bull

I do not know how photo credentials/possitionings work in Rodio or even if it's allowed in a USA sport but I do know that as a UK Rugby/Football, (Soccer), photographer I wouldn't be allowed to lay on the Try/Goal Mouth line to get a shot??. I think he got all he deserved going for the "killer" image?. Kind regards Graham.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Kent_Photo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photographer vs. Bull

I am guessing the deductible for this type of coverage is around $20,000.

Dec 21, 2013 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.