New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · D700 or D600?

Joseph.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D700 or D600?

My advice is to go to the camera store IN PERSON and actually handle these two cameras side by side and see which fits your hand better. What good is a superior camera if you're gonna get cramp each time you pick it up?

The D700's ergonomics is far superior.. build is better.. better controls... better VF.. It's better at everything, except IQ. D600 also has video if you care for that. The D600 has better DR and higher resolution, just make sure you're ok with its limitations (no one button zoom, 39 AF pts, plastic front panel, 1/4000, etc)

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:21 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D700 or D600?

DontShoot wrote:
My advice is to go to the camera store IN PERSON and actually handle these two cameras side by side and see which fits your hand better. What good is a superior camera if you're gonna get cramp each time you pick it up?

The D700's ergonomics is far superior.. build is better.. better controls... better VF.. It's better at everything, except IQ. D600 also has video if you care for that. The D600 has better DR and higher resolution, just make sure you're ok with its limitations (no one button zoom, 39 AF pts, plastic front panel, 1/4000, etc)

Which camera store is going to have a D700?

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:51 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D700 or D600?

NathanHamler wrote:
And FX is all of a sudden going to make you a better photographer....how??

FX allows good use of many inexpensive and quality MF lens (not just FOV but also better viewfinder).

I don't understand why people like to debate FX vs DX that much. M43 shooters also says M43 files are good as DX format except for some noise. All formats (including M43, 1" ) have their pros and cons. If one want to try a particular format, go ahead!

D700 AF is better than D600, but then I am more familiar with the AF in D700 for moving subjects. AF sensor coverage is also better. D700 AF is good, D600 AF is only sufficient.

D700 files are good, but D600 files are better, not just in resolution. D600 files has much improved dynamic range. What I do know like from D700 files is color in the shadow. I always fell that D700 (and D300 as well) has (relatively) muted color in the shadow.

D700 has better buffer, but I haven't checked the spec, just from my feeling. I have never reached the buffer limit with D700, but I occasionally bumped into that with D600 (for pano+HDR, not sports)

I don't know what kind of concerts you are thinking, but D600 shutter noise is much quieter than D700... sometimes D700 noise makes me a bit embarrassed when shooting recitals/rehearsals (even I'm authorized to shoot but I prefer to do it quietly and I know what blimp is).

Maybe D800/E give you best of both world except FPS.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:56 AM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D700 or D600?

Amazon.com

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:57 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D700 or D600?

DontShoot wrote:
The D700's ergonomics is far superior.. build is better.. better controls... better VF.. It's better at everything, except IQ.

and in the end, unless you're in a camera dial handling contest or like dropping your stuff, the IQ is what ultimately matters when you're buying a camera to take photos...

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:03 AM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D700 or D600?

fsiagian wrote:
Amazon.com

sorry I thought you said in person

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:13 AM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D700 or D600?

Image quality goes to the D600 which is the most important thing to me, however the D700 for everything else.
So can you live with D7000 style body, tightly packed AF points which are a real frustration, metering system I don't like it, and of course the oil on sensor issue that many have had and some not. But again the results are very nice so it's a like/hate for me...

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:48 AM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D700 or D600?

When it comes to megapixels, obviously the D600 is going to beat the D700. In theory, that means you will likely see better IQ with the D600 as some have alluded to here. But that is only one part of the picture.

I think DJ covered just about everything in his posts above. I will say that I haven't felt short changed with the D700/D300 combo. At times I find myself wishing for more resolution, but honestly I would have a hard time complaining about the D700's capabilities. The results I get with that camera are astounding when I do my part. When I don't, a point and shoot would do as good or better!

If you can find a used D700 side by side with the D600 you are considering, get your hands on both and see what you think. There are definitely differences - I think the D700 was more aimed at professionals and serious amateurs than the D600, but not having worked with the D600 I am just guessing from what I've read about it. Choose the one the better meets your needs. If you need higher resolution more than the other features the D700 offers, then you have your answer. If one just fits you better ergonomically or otherwise, that tells you a lot too.

I don't see FX as setting you up for disappointment, but it isn't going to be as big of an improvement as the camera manufacturer's want you to believe. DX cameras have come a long way and in many ways exceeded the older FX bodies and have features you may later crave, so keep that in mind when choosing. Both options have reasons to choose them, and I don't see either as necessarily the wrong choice for a given individual.

David

Edited on Nov 09, 2013 at 11:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:26 AM
raboof
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D700 or D600?

Used to have the D700 and now D600 because I needed video for the kids. Something I haven't heard mentioning is the buffer issue on my d600 camera with a SD 16G Class10 card. It just hangs and eventually, I'll have to switch it off and back on. I am shooting RAW though.

I am not sure if it's just my camera or the card though. It's not really a big problem for me so I haven't even look for a fix. So, if you're doing RAW and doing sports, research this one problem.

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:47 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D700 or D600?

I have a D700 and also a D800. I didn't want the D600 because of the lack of pro features and lack of build quality.
The D800 is something you have to handle with care to get sharp images. The D700 rocks at that. The overall image quality of the D600 will beat the D700, but it depends on whether you live with the rest of the camera.

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:56 AM
tvman11

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D700 or D600?

Thanks, guys! You've added quite a bit to help me out.

Now... Be easy on me...

I need to sell my D7000 with the MB-D11 and a lens to help recoup the cost. I know what you might want to say, hang on to the D7000 as a backup. I wish I could but... I've made an agreement with my wife that we definitely need to keep this realistic as this time. If something should happen to my camera, I've always got Lensrentals.com (whose based about 2 miles from my home). Yeah, I also know that I can just rent the cameras and see for myself but I trust your experience and knowledge to help clarify this decision for me.

I've never sold anything on here and would like to know how do I go about doing this. I'm already setup on PayPal and use it for my photo business (of which, I'm just starting up). I know I need to ask for the 3% for PayPal fees and to have great photos of the equipment for sale. What else is there that I should know?

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:01 AM
tvman11

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D700 or D600?

One more thing... How about ISO noise of these cameras?

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:09 AM
cjrpostma
[X]
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D700 or D600?

pburke wrote:
and in the end, unless you're in a camera dial handling contest or like dropping your stuff, the IQ is what ultimately matters when you're buying a camera to take photos...

I respectfully object to the quoted statement.

I think image quality is not what ultimately matters, it is picture quality. Personally, I would rather have an interesting image that is well composed, insightful, tells a story, etc. versus one that has more megapixels/DR/sharper/etc. Ultimately, the ergonomics of a camera will help you accomplish making an image rather than the number of megapixels/etc. The more you are thinking about the gear, the less you are thinking about the art of photography and what it means to create an amazing image. In the end, it doesn't matter what you are using. Many great images are made on phones, for example.

Also, there is something to be said for the experience of taking photos. How a camera feels in the hand, the balance, the feel of materials, how the focus collar feels and rotates, etc. I personally find this aspect very enjoyable and would not discount it to gain in "image quality".

Just my take on things.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D700 or D600?

MDoc9523 wrote:
Which camera store is going to have a D700?

Samys here in LA have them in the used section

pburke wrote:

Sorry, I don't agree. I'd rather shoot an old fart pro D2x all day and enjoy the experience rather than force myself to handle a D3200 and its "better IQ". Photography isn't all about IQ.

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:12 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D700 or D600?

Yup!!
For me it's more about enjoying the process of getting the shot. If I'm not needing to crop much,
I'll take the D3/D700/D2Xs anytime over my D800/D7K. Sure the latter have better IQ and it's
important when the light sucks BUT in good light...tactile pleasures associated with the captures
cannot be ignored. I use the right tool to get the job done when on the clock. I could shoot the
D3/D2Xs 'til my arms fall off...smiling all the way to the bank. Just sayin'

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:49 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D700 or D600?

I have a pair of D700s and would not trade for the D800 OR the D600 (had options when I bought the second body, opted to get another used D700).

D800's rez is too much for me -- don't need it, don't want it, my hard drive and RAM budgets thank me.

D600 -- fine camera, but I appreciate the 51-point AF and more rugged body of the D700. The weight is a pain in the ass at times, but the camera is just a beast. Unstoppable, in rain or hail or dust storm or on sunny days, in the studio or on location. It's a workhorse!

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:50 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D700 or D600?

The D2H was the first DSLR I owned that didn't have clumsy controls that stood between me and the photos. My D700 closely followed that camera with speed, AF responsiveness, and intuitive usage. It truly is a photographer's camera, engineered for fast action, and excelling at anything you put in front of your lens.

I rented a D600 to decide if it was the right upgrade for me - I need video capabilities for my work, and the D700 does not have that. The D600's AF point distribution I found tremendously limiting for my style of framing. My D700's AF is set up as a widely distributed 11-point layout, identical to my D2H before it. I regularly use the outside focus points for subject framing, as focus & recompose method leads to shifts in focus - which will cause you out-of-focus shots on narrow depth of focus shots... The D600 simply doesn't have the AF point coverage I want and need.

That said, the shots I took with the rented D600 had noticeable improvements in dynamic range and resolution over the D700... but also noticeable was the slower RAW file handling on my Macbook Pro. 24 megapixels is much more demanding than the D700's 12mp, and I'll never print large enough to see the difference in fine detail.

If I were deciding between the D700 and D600 and sports were what I'm shooting, no question I'd get the D700 + MBD10 for speed. If I were shooting events, and the client needed fast turnaround on their shots (say, next day), I'd get the D700 for the more manageable file size. If I were doing HEAVY post processing to the shots, and speed/file size wasn't a concern, the D600 would be my choice for superior image quality (dynamic range and resolution).

In the end, I decided I wanted the best of both worlds - the AF of the D700, the resolution and dynamic range of the D600, and the best video mode on a Nikon DSLR available. I just put my money where my mouth is on a D800.

You'll be happy with a D600, D700, or D800. It's really a matter of splitting hairs on a task by task basis to say if one is substantially better than the other. All are professionally usable in even the dimmest amount of light, with the fastest moving subjects, and with the finest minute details in front of quality glass.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D700 or D600?

I shoot at night mostly. The dynamic range of the D600 is right on par with the D800, which is the best available. For me that was the kicker along with cropability/enlargement ability. If I could afford a new Mac Pro tower I'd love to have a D800 but the D600 files are slow enough on my current outdated 2010 Macbook Pro laptop.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:18 PM
tvman11

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D700 or D600?

Thanks, guys. I chose to purchase a Nikon refurb D600 from Adorama (with extended warranty) and even looked up more info at photographylife.com. The D600 will be the easiest for me to transition towards since it's basically a D7000 with an FX chip and some advanced features. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Thank you for all your help and insight.

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.