New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Stupid question about D3X

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stupid question about D3X

Just visited Nikon site and it looks like the D3X is still on the menu with an add t cart for 7999.95

Why is this camera still priced the way it is?

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stupid question about D3X

Interesting. Probably they still have couple of them left.

Otherwise I guess they dont want to get rid of them cheaply. These were expensive things to make. And I might add for a good reason expensive. Nothing close to it is made today, if I dont count Leica.

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stupid question about D3X

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Just visited Nikon site and it looks like the D3X is still on the menu with an add t cart for 7999.95

Why is this camera still priced the way it is?

To make the DF look inexpensive

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:24 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stupid question about D3X

When I took my D3X to Nikon for a factory overhaul/recalibration about a month back, they told me the D3X was still in big demand. Was told that some photogs who had a D3X then switched to a D800/e then went back to a D3X.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:43 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stupid question about D3X

The D3x and Sony 900/850 are something special.

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stupid question about D3X

ReyGay wrote:
When I took my D3X to Nikon for a factory overhaul/recalibration about a month back, they told me the D3X was still in big demand. Was told that some photogs who had a D3X then switched to a D800/e then went back to a D3X.

I had a pair of D3x bodies and now have a pair of D800/e bodies. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about going back to a D3x. The one and only thing the D800 series has over it is the sensor - but that's a pretty big thing...

I'm hoping for a D4x - if it comes in at 54MP like the rumor mill thinks, it might - just might - be my last camera for awhile.

All that said, I wouldn't pay 8K for a D3x today, not a chance. At the time it was the only way to get to 24MP.

Edited on Nov 04, 2013 at 08:39 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stupid question about D3X

It wasnt only way to get to 24 MP, but probably one of less expensive ones.

Steve McCurry uses one till today. And Im pretty positive he could afford as much D800s bodies as he want.

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:19 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stupid question about D3X

It's the pro build, the feel is sweet, dual CF cards and over 4,000 clicks before changing the battery....24mp is the sweet spot for a lot of lenses. Used prices are in the $3k range now, I sold mine to go to the lighter D600, boy was that a mistake

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stupid question about D3X

I have the D3x, D3s, D800e and the D7100. Although the sensor in the D800e is really incredible, the main area I prefer the it over the D3x is the higher ISO ability. Everything else regarding bodies, controls the D3x is preferred over the D800e. If Nikon put the D800e sensor in a D3x body they would still be hard to keep in stock. Call it the D4x, either use one card or the other, not two different types, and the same battery as the D4, I'd buy it tonight. The D3x & D3s make a great pair, as would the D4 & D4x.

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:39 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stupid question about D3X

Altho I was biased in getting the D800 at first, I did try the D800 and D3X before deciding to get either one. The white balance is more accurate on the D3X and the colors are more pleasing. The D800 just has lots of detail, that's it but color wise, I preferred what I had on the D3X, which are pleasing tones and gradations. And oh, I didn't spend $8k on a D3X , I got it for the same price as a new D800.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Dustoff06
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stupid question about D3X

Steve Perry wrote:
I had a pair of D3x bodies and now have a pair of D800/e bodies. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about going back to a D3x. The one and only thing the D800 series has over it is the sensor - but that's a pretty big thing...

I'm hoping for a D4x - if it comes in at 54MP like the rumor mill thinks, it might - just might - be my last camera for awhile.

All that said, I wouldn't pay 8K for a D3x today, not a chance. At the time it was the
...Show more

If Nikon does come out with a sensor in the 50MP+ range, I wonder how well current glass will hold up? Any performance flaws will be exaggerated?

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:05 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stupid question about D3X

Dustoff06 wrote:
If Nikon does come out with a sensor in the 50MP+ range, I wonder how well current glass will hold up? Any performance flaws will be exaggerated?

It'll be interesting for sure, but that conversation comes up at every leap in MP size and the conclusions are always the same - it's never going to give you less quality than on a lower MP camera, even poor glass will be as good as or better, print size for print size. Less than stellar glass may not be taking full advantage of the sensor though, and that's where it gets tricky.

My thought is that 54MP is a FX version of a 24MP DX sensor and the D7100 crowd doesn't seem to have too many sharpness issues with current glass. Of course, they're using the sweet spot of the lens. Personally, I'm not too worried about it. I think most of the good glass will hold up. Time will tell.

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:36 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stupid question about D3X

I jumped ship and left the D700 for a used D3x when they released the D800/D600 as I was hugely disappointed with their specs. Perhaps the best deal of my life. If you don't need 36Mpx (and frankly, who that don't crop heavily does) you'll get a pro built superlative camera with excellent base iso quality and _beautiful_ 'higher iso noise'.

For me, above ISO 1600 seems a tad like a gimmic and at 1600 or below d3x performs great, imo better than d600 (more noise, but sharper and punchier colours).
(courtesy dpreview.com)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3697/10707974085_ec67af654a_o.jpg

iso 1600
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7391/9424307818_0661614b2f_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7333/9461318230_0f4bb9b431_b.jpg

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:08 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stupid question about D3X

Its their Halo product, the flagship camera. From a marketing point of view - you never discount your Halo product.

Companies would rather take it back and destroy the inventory than sell it for cheap.

From a user's point of view - it is the best matched product for a D3/D3s.

User interfaces is the same – its a seemless transition between the D3 and D3x – same battery system, same card system, just really easy to move between the 2 cameras. For a pro, shooting with 2 bodies, it is very easy to move between the 2, it is a matched pair.

The current generation of D4 and D800 is not such a seamless transition – you have 2 different control layouts, 2 battery systems, 3 different card systems – not an easy transition.

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stupid question about D3X

The d3x is the one body I truly miss.

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.