Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

How do you guys / girls do this?

markdennis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Hi all,

I have recently had a go with a bit of sports photography. It is nothing close to some of the images here. Apart from understanding the particular sport you are looking at and anticipating the action plus having the lens or lenses to cover it, is there anything else?? How is it done with primes? Multiple cameras I guess?

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:44 PM
rantonishak
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you guys / girls do this?

markdennis wrote:
Hi all,

I have recently had a go with a bit of sports photography. It is nothing close to some of the images here. Apart from understanding the particular sport you are looking at and anticipating the action plus having the lens or lenses to cover it, is there anything else?? How is it done with primes? Multiple cameras I guess?

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Not sure if this helps.....

On the top left of the Sports Forum page, is a link to Sports Corner Resource. Many helpful hints/tips.

Hope it helps...

Sincerely,
Randal

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Mark. There are a lot of factors. It depends on the sport, the venue, your gear, and what you are trying to get. For example, when shooting for sales to parents, I look at isolating players and making them look bigger than life. When shooting for wires, isolation is good, but telling a story is better, even if it is just a story about one single play. A full understanding of what your gear is capable of and pushing that gear to the limits, adding light when needed, etc. etc. etc. There is a lot that goes into it.

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:09 PM
pattywatty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Mark - I echo the above comment by Carl and the use of the FM Sports resource page. To me personally, knowing the specific sport is the most important in helping you to anticipate where the action will take place, the direction it will go and when the peak moments might occur. There is a big factor called luck but by knowing the sport itself and how to put yourself in position to get the shot more times than not will help most. As Carl mentioned isolating the players and cropping tight will always be good for parents and was what I focused on most early but I have learned that adding variety (wide shots, non-action shots, and shots outside the ropes as they say) will prove rewarding too.

Equipment is also a factor and it would be great if we all could be blessed with all the newest bodies and lenses but you have to go with what you have which may be enough and as you get more acquainted with the sports you start shooting you will be able to quickly determine your needs...

Hope that helps.

Patrick

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:29 PM
markdennis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Guys,

Thanks very much. I have had a 'go' and have posted in the Nikon forum. I guess this is not manufacturer based so I will post a few here. I know that isolation is a big element. I will not have that with this F5.6 80-400 afs. Any suggestions for lens? 400mm keeps me in 'a' shooting' zone for the width of a rugby / football pitch. I was thinking that a 300mm would be better suited as I can always crop into the shot. I guess you need two bodies, which I have (other is a D800).

Any thoughts??

NIKON D4    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    330mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    450 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D4    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    220mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D4    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    350mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D4    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    100mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    560 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Graham Crowthe
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Hello Mark
I'm unsure what you are asking for?

focal length lens to cover a Rugby/Football pitch?

combination of lenses to cover said sports?

I'm guessing your not funds limited if you've already invested in a Nikon D4 & a D800?, well, lenses play an integral part of the equasion too! & the 80-400 is ok for general photography but crap in isolation!!!. If your going to shoot sports seriously then you need to invest in quality glass.

Idealy for Football (soccer)/Rugby (RL,RU) you'll need either a 300/400 f2.8 Prime
for near action I'd recommend a 70-200 zoom.

I may be wrong? but I'm getting the feeling from you're already gear choiced, that this isn't what you're really asking about?.
my advice sell the 80-400, get a300 VR 2.8 learn your trade with the D4, sell the d800+ cash, buy a 70-200 VRII 2.8!!, struggle for a while with a Nikon D4 but purchase a D3S as the back up!, stuggle = 6months? reason = WOW I'M PUBLISHED

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:54 PM
markdennis
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Hi Graham and thanks for a great reply. As you can see, sports is not my thing. I like this lens (hence the Nikon forum post) but would like to get better at this. I do have good lenses but they are not sports based. So, if I am not reading this wrong, you surgest a 70-200 and a 400 2.8 for sports. Fair enough.

No, I am funds limited but I am more geared up for wildlife (500 vr). Still, I would like to add the 300 for that. My question really is with the primes, do you pick a zone for where the action is and just shoot for what is going on there? If any play gets close you just switch out for the shorter focal length? In my one session this weekend I reckon that would have been hard as the play moved so quickly. I think I would have missed shots. But inexperience on my part would not have helped.

You say 'struggle' with the D4. Why? Seems to do all that I ask of it so far.

Many thanks for your comments. I do appreciate it.

Mark

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:37 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Basically, read read read. Watch this forum and read some more. Then start posting like you have above and ask for CC. Then when you get it, actually listen and don't take the advice as a personal attack.

I've submitted things on here and as I did the comments were helpful at first. Then as I posted more pictures the hints become more technical, which I viewed as a positive. CC went from didn't you see the line in the background going through both sides of the players head (DohH!!) to my white balance is off. I was like, freak'n cool, heck yeah, if I'm getting people to help me on WB then I've moved on and I took those comments as help in a positive direction.

Have a thick skin, be a quick and continuous learner, post here, and read read read.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jspytek
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you guys / girls do this?

For instance, I think your photo here would look better without the flag on the left and cropped vertically to give a sense of height to his jump. At the end of the day, it's just my opinion.

Good luck with your venture into sports photography, it's as much fun as it is frustrating :-)

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Break out that 500 VR and go to town. Follow the action and make it work, while the 400 2.8 is nice, the 500 should work quite well for you. Pair that with a 70-200 with a 1.4 tele or maybe the new Sigma 120-300 2.8 and you would be good to go.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:29 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Short answer, yes it's done with either two bodies or zooms. There are options obviously, and some of them depend on how you shoot and what you are trying to accomplish. Carl's comment above is spot on. The approach to sports shooting has similarities but each sport has it unique requirements. Where you can locate yourself in reference to the action offers alternate solutions. 400 2.8 just doesn't work for action that's in your face ex) back of goal line in soccer with player taking a shot that you could spit on. Here you need something short, usually for me it's the 70-200.

The tough part is knowing when to put down one and pick up the other

Matt

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:25 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Mark,
If you have a fixed 500, use it. I shoot just about everything outdoors with a 500 4.5, and would switch to a 600 if I could afford it. The trick is to learn to see the whole frame and to shoot tight and anticipate. Much tougher than cropping in from a 300.
As for two cameras... switching on the fly is simply a juggling trick you need to learn and practice. It also depends on what you are trying to do. If you just want isolation photos then it probably isn't worth the hassle -- most of what I do is 'second run', which means about 1% of shots come from the 'second' body, and only a handful of those see light of day.
Finally, practice, practice, practice, and seek out people who will be brutally direct critiquing your work with constructive comments. Ignore the personalized ones.
Sean

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:34 AM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Wuuut... you have a 500 and aren't using it?!

Break that bad baby out and go to town. The shots you posted are fine. Just need to crop tighter.

For my type of shooting (wires), you want your eye to go right to the action when you look at it. If you have to hunt for the ball or try to figure out what happened, then you need to crop it differently.

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:43 AM
markdennis
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you guys / girls do this?

Thanks very much for the input. It really is appreciated. Next weekend I go out with the 500 and learn. I doubt if Sports will ever be my major source of income for my business but it can't harm to do better than what I have done. Very interesting about the use of the second body Sean and I completely understand about the need for isolation. I will post again when I have something better to show.

Thanks again.

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:48 AM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you guys / girls do this?

rantonishak wrote:
Hey Mark,

Not sure if this helps.....

On the top left of the Sports Forum page, is a link to Sports Corner Resource. Many helpful hints/tips.

Hope it helps...

Sincerely,
Randal

Nice 2112 avatar! By the way, I may be blind, but I cant find the link to the Sports Corner resource? Edit; nevermind!

Nov 05, 2013 at 05:24 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you guys / girls do this?

I second the use of the 500, sit just below the 22 and you will be amazed. IMHO I would pick up a used Nikon 200-400 f4, that guys are selling pretty cheap on these boards. the BEST daytime field lens. Wander the sideline for line outs, scrums and rucks, great glass. By the way, your 80-400 should be fine for this light, just shoot some more, my have to bump your ISO in the late day matches, but so what, that camera is beautiful. Nice captures, i like the line out the best.keep posting, and read.

Nov 12, 2013 at 03:22 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password