FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

gordon l
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Hello Forum,

This is now the 7th installment of a project I began years ago. I visit southwest Montana each year for one week. Each years looks different depending on how much rain/snow they've had and how early/late in the summer I go. This lonely cabin sits in a big valley and I've taken to shooting it each year. Sometimes I try sunset, others at sunrise, others with different lenses, etc -- I want to get something NEW each year.

This year I had no clouds looking north. Instead, I turned my lens to the southeast and shot the mountains and cabin from a new perspective. The sky was better this direction. I also tried shooting lower. A small patch of yellow flowers serves as my foreground interest.

I've included the prior 6 years for comparison. I like to see them together to tell a story of time and nature.

--Gordon

2013 Grass and Wildflowers -- my pick for this year
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month-1/i-X7W852K/0/XL/Grass%20and%20Wildflowers-XL.jpg

2012 Burst of Light -- strange lighting this year because of Idaho forest fires and lots of haze! Shot with 17mm tilt-shift lens.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month-1/i-Qc8gW8D/0/XL/Burst%20of%20Light-XL.jpg

2011Bound to Earth -- taken in the mid-morning with lots of great clouds this year. Shot at 29mm for a less-wide shot across the valley.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month-1/i-mJ3wfTn/3/XL/Montana%20Cabin%20with%20beautiful%20cloudy%20sky%20and%20golden%20fields-XL.jpg

2010 The Biggest Sky -- taken at 16 mm to include as much of the lovely clouds as possible
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Photo-Gallery-2009/i-gNPfJVw/2/XL/Montana%20plus%202010-06-26%201V7B8357-XL.jpg

2009 Fire in the Sky -- taken on a morning when I heard wolves howling and I was out there alone. A little frightening. 21 mm shot.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month-1/i-fWtNH5v/6/XL/Montana%202009-06-22%201V7B0841%20-%20Version%204-XL.jpg

2008 Golden fields and Blue Mountains -- 24 mm shot taken just at sunset. This shot made me feel like I ought to return to this location each year, thus starting this multi-year project.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month-1/i-jzGdcKB/4/XL/Montana%20%202008-07-22-XL.jpg

2007 Little House on the Prarie -- my first attempt (and not such a great feat)
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month-1/i-pXsrgD6/2/XL/Montana%20%202007-06-11%20IMG_1276-XL.jpg

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:21 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Such a cool set!! Thank you for sharing these unique views of the same location.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:06 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

What a great project. Each is beautiful in its own right, but the collection is fantastic.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:51 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Gordon,

Ah I remember this thread last year. It was great last year and great this year. Keep it up man! The post is gonna get super long once you hit the 15 year

Jason

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:54 PM
MajeedB
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

These would make an amazing collection/gallery. Very well done, you have my vote as featured thread.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:26 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Great collection of shots...interesting to see the same location in a variety of moods, especially when it's one persons vision you see it through.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:51 AM

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Very cool idea and nice pics! I think this collection will only get more interesting as the years go by and the cabin continues to change as you do also. Keep it going

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:19 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

stanparker wrote:
What a great project. Each is beautiful in its own right, but the collection is fantastic.

Thank you. That is why I want to post these together. I believe the collection says more when it is seen together

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:45 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

MajeedB wrote:
These would make an amazing collection/gallery. Very well done, you have my vote as featured thread.

Thank you very much. I do think it is unique to return to the same place once a year. It proves to be a challenge for me. That is why I enjoy sharing this with others.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

My vote goes to 2012. This was a very enjoyable post to read. Some good stuff, and an interesting story.

I have a tree root that I have returned to several years running. Very much mirroring your story. But your stuff is actually quite good.

This summer they cut down my root. I hope you have many more years to enjoy.

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

FABULOUS SERIES!!! Kudos to you!

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:24 PM
BauerPower
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Really nice history. The cabin sits there year after year and the world changes around it. Great job!

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:49 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Wonderful series and great concept. I am curious though, does someone live there? Could be a perfect getaway for a lighthouse keeper

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:51 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Tim Knutson wrote:
My vote goes to 2012. This was a very enjoyable post to read. Some good stuff, and an interesting story.

I have a tree root that I have returned to several years running. Very much mirroring your story. But your stuff is actually quite good.

This summer they cut down my root. I hope you have many more years to enjoy.

Tim,

That is so sad about the tree root. I really develop a relationship with these locations, these special places that for a few minutes each year belong to me. I'm sure you feel that way about your root.

I would just cry if someone some day tears down this little gem. I hope never live to see that happen.

Gordon

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:35 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Wow...I've been on this forum a long time...b/c I've been here from the beginning...or just abouts. Nice new one

aF

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:43 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Hey Gordon,

This years shot is a nice addition to your series. I like how you worked it. My favorites of the series so far though are 2008 and 2009.

Jim

Nov 06, 2013 at 02:40 PM
genefixer
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Gordon

Very nice work! Difficult to pick my fav but I am leaning toward #5!

Mikr

Nov 06, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

I always enjoy when you post this series each year Gordon. This year's photo really emphasizes the openness of the area. I also enjoy the color contrast between the sky and land.

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Going Baroque

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

Great idea and even better execution.

Nov 06, 2013 at 08:20 PM
rpope
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7-Year Project: Lonely Montana Cabin

What a great location!! Absolutely beautiful series... No favs, they're all beautiful!

Rich

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.