Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing ca...

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

I am

A little innovation is not a bad thing

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

You want a new box design?

If you are talking about the silly "new" Nikon FF, uh, no thank you.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:55 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #3 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

Gunzorro wrote:
You want a new box design?

If you are talking about the silly "new" Nikon FF, uh, no thank you.

The new Nikon IMO is silly unless it brings something new to the table. It's nice to not have those kind of silly gimmick style temptations from Canon.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:57 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

popinvasion wrote:
I am

What's wrong with a "retro case"? Have you ever used an old OM4-T? Tons of electronics, dials & switches, more rugged yet smaller than even the smallest FF DSLR and with a viewfinder SO big, you can actually step inside of it! I wouldn't mind having that!

Omar

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:01 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

popinvasion wrote:
I am

You would mind a 1DX sensor in a 6D/5DM3 package?

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:09 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

Being an ex Nikon FM2 user I have to admit to being shallow enough to really really like the look of the new Nikon body. Problem is that I can't remember any vintage Canon bodies looking so good as to warrant their style being resurrected!

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:10 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #7 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

/troll on

An old tech Canon sensor in an old bodie design ? Get a film camera then ...

/troll off

Better be innovative ...

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:15 PM
py2000
• •
p.1 #8 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

Functions are a lot more important than look to me...

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

I would say, starting with the T90, the Canon bodies became the most ergonomically pleasing to me -- for their hold and their controls. Canon has always had a better menu system, IMO. So I don't see much to be gained in a redesign, especially going back toward dials and sharp edges. Canon's use of rotating touch screen is what I'm looking forward to in FF bodies. I want more versatility and features, not less.

So, for me, the Nikon ploy is a big "no interest" topic.

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:25 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

I'd definitely take an EF-M body with a plethora of manual controls, a tweaked DPAF sensor, and a solid EVF. Upgraded battery capacity and the availability of a battery grip matched to the height of the EF to EF-M adapter foot wouldn't hurt either.

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ggreene
• • •
p.1 #11 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

popinvasion wrote:
The new Nikon IMO is silly unless it brings something new to the table. It's nice to not have those kind of silly gimmick style temptations from Canon.

You mean like this kind of stuff:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/limited-edition-powershot-cameras-coming/

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:43 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

I like the direction Fuji took with their bodies (X100(s) and XPro-1). If Canon made an MILC based on their old Canonet's, I'd be all over that. However, I'm not up for the retro-SLR. I loved my old Contax bodies but was never wild about my F3. One reason I've remained a Canon DSLR shooter has been the ergonomics (back wheel / front wheel)... please don't take those away...

regards,
bruce

Nov 04, 2013 at 06:45 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

guys, who doubts that however retro the new Nikon looks, its sensor kicks the oppositions ass all over the place.

Nikon uses Sony sensors, so Nikon have state of the art files, no matter what the body styling. Its a false argument to suggest that old fashioned body design precludes the best sensor design, which I am sure this Nikon has.

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:58 PM
othfilm
• •
p.1 #14 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

David Baldwin wrote:
Its a false argument to suggest that old fashioned body design precludes the best sensor design, which I am sure this Nikon has.

Agreed, but unless the sensor is a step up from the d600, or it's cheaper (sounds like it'll actually be pricier), then it's an odd move. It'd be the second time this fall Nikon has updated a camera with no move forward (D610 being the first), with the motivation not really clear. ( profit margins?)

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:10 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

Took Nikon Long enough! Canon already had a digital AE-1D years ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrsRQIxyOzw

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:23 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

popinvasion wrote:
I am

Canon is one of the last companies I think of when I think "innovation" (or at least innovation that *I* like to see), same with Nikon. But hell, even Nikon fleshed out their mirrorless line better than Canon.

Let me know when Canon decides to finally put AF-point spot metering in cameras costing less than $5000 -- baby steps...let the innvation come later.

Edited on Nov 04, 2013 at 08:32 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

I've no problems with retro look, after all I bought an Olympus OM-D and like the design very much. What I'm not sure with the Nikon if it's just releasing the camera for the "cool factor" - as they say "everything old is new again" or if it really is bringing something novel to the table. The biggest worry for me is the D4 sensor. Unless they are using this so the camera can shooting 10+fps, which I don't see as a priority in this type of camera, why not at least use the D610 sensor?

Also it's not mirrorless and thus is playing the small and light card. It's almost 800g and I guess will built like a tank, but will it have the sealing of the D4?

Maybe they had enough people say they like the idea of 16MP and decided to make a D4 lite, but wrap in an FM2 style body. It would have been hard for it to make an impression if it were just anohter DSLR that somehow had to slot into the FF range. As a retro camera it sits in it's own niceh and won't really compete in their normal range.

Might be a master stroke.

I don't really know much about Canon's old style cameras, but I've not seen anything particularly nice like the OM-4 and FM2, so if Canon were to do this they may have to invent a cool old camera. As long as they don't reuse the old sensors it might be interesting.

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:31 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #18 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

ggreene wrote:
You mean like this kind of stuff:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/limited-edition-powershot-cameras-coming/

Power shots.... Who looks at those?

I agree canon needs a new camera and innovation but damn canon has repackaged past sensors enough. The Nikon looks cool but it's essentially an expensive repackaged camera that will be for the cool kids, just glad I no longer have Nikon glass to desire one.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

David Baldwin wrote:
Being an ex Nikon FM2 user I have to admit to being shallow enough to really really like the look of the new Nikon body. Problem is that I can't remember any vintage Canon bodies looking so good as to warrant their style being resurrected!

I sold my FM3A this summer and if the DF is not priced in the stratosphere I just might buy one.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:39 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Who is happy that Canon is not repackaging an existing camera into a retro case?

popinvasion wrote:
Power shots.... Who looks at those?

I agree canon needs a new camera and innovation but damn canon has repackaged past sensors enough. The Nikon looks cool but it's essentially an expensive repackaged camera that will be for the cool kids, just glad I no longer have Nikon glass to desire one.

Or, perhaps, gentleman amateurs...

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password