Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

looking for a simple, easy reliable 1TB USB 3.0/thunderbolt...I don't want anything with software, just a reliable plug in to transfer and store photos to...I'm upgrading from a cheapo USB 2.0 one so USB 3.0 would be fine, TB isn't even necessary, thanks!

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

I like Drive Docks myself. There are many USB3 models available but I dunno of any that have TB. The fastest is the Thermaltake according to Tom's Hardware. For a single they're about $50 and about $70 for a dual. If it's a dual you run the two drives in RAID0 in order to get the max out of your USB3.

For drives I like the 1TB per plater Seagate Barracuda drives. They do 200MB/s. The 1TB model is a single platter design like the Velociraptor which would be my second choice at about $150 to $200. The 1TB (ST1000DM003) Barracuda goes for about $50 to $60.

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

thanks, I'll check it out..reading reviews is maddening, even the top rated ones have flaming comments about failures, overheating blah blah blah...sometimes the internet is more trouble than it's worth

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

Seagate has portable and muli-T drives with Thunderbolt. The PC versions have no problem being reformatted for Macs. I find the hardware reliable as I've been using them for 7 years.

Just don't load their software and you'll be golden.The only problem I had was a result of their software.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=seagate+thunderbolt&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:51 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

Kell wrote:
thanks, I'll check it out..reading reviews is maddening, even the top rated ones have flaming comments about failures, overheating blah blah blah...sometimes the internet is more trouble than it's worth

Yup! I find there's really only one site I can trust and that isn't biased (that I can tell) and which offers no "opinions" - only the facts… and that's www.tomshardware.com their charts are awesome for this sorta thing.

As for overheating in the case of an external case which start at $15 and go up to $100 for a single drive enclosure, you will always need to test temperatures. If running too hot you will need to buy a faster fan and/or reposition the drive. In the case of a drive dock you can tell just by touching the drive. I run 3 duals in my setup from different manufacturers. All are about the same speed with features that vary. One has a built in card reader, another has self contained stand-alone drive cloning, and so on. If you use Dock types intensely for long periods of time you need to cool the drives. I use a $5 USB fan for this. I don't see mine listed but it's similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Blades-Flexible-Gooseneck-Tabletop/dp/B00622987G/ref=zg_bs_3015416011_82 and the lowest setting (maybe 250 RPMs ?) is good enough to cool two dual docks (4 drives).

Ah, here's mine: http://en.akihabaranews.com/22397/legacy-unused/pc/elecom-s-fancy-new-usb-fan

Another almost identical: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/226347526/Adjust_Speed_USB_Fan_UF_212_/showimage.html

Nov 05, 2013 at 07:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

Kell, any component can fail regardless of brand. To some extent it's luck of the draw as to which brand is involved - perhaps not when every item made for that brand is considered as a whole population but certainly when it comes down to the essentially random failure rates that an individual user is likely to encounter. Over the decades I've had a dozen or so HDDs fail and at least one of every other component type in a PC. More recently I've had several SSDs fail. And I've had combinations of simultaneous failures.

The significant lesson in this is to definitely have multiple backups that are not all made at the same time and not all on the same media, so that you will have a selection of backups to choose from when the need arises and so that no two failures at one time will leave you without your precious data. Make that three simultaneous failures if you include your own mistakes.

- Alan

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

thanks...now I want to know more about your "More recently I've had several SSDs fail" comment. About to pull the trigger on a mackbook pro retina with SSD. Supposed to be more reliable....whaddup w/dat dawg?

Nov 07, 2013 at 01:56 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

Alan must have some bad luck to have had several SSDs fail. However, ALL (!!!!) components can and will fail. Case in point, even the creator of the Linux operating system recently had a SSD failure which wiped out some work. That said, I'd never go back to rotating disks if I could avoid (and afford) it.

Backup (multiples) are your only defense.

Nov 07, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

yeah, agree...not a show stopper anyway, thanks

Nov 07, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · external hd for macbook pro recommendation needed please

I don't!

Well, maybe the "afford" part is more relevant for the super-rich jet-set? But normal folks will still want to be using rotational media for many things! I have about 10 of 24 terabytes filled up on one machine (all internal) and to do that in SSDs alone would require about $15,000 whereas in rotational terms it only cost me $600 all total and the rotational set still has another 14TB to spare. To match the entire set in SSDs we're talking over $30k.

OK, this is an extreme example but it plays out in smaller portions just the same.

Also considering speed SSDs are not all that much faster when we start talking about large file I/O. A two or three drive RAID0 of 3 or 4TB drives matches or beats an SSD for files over about 256k. And given the same price you can either have 500GB or 16,000GB - your choice. Given that most RAW photos and all video files are larger than 256k SSDs don't make any sense at all for project and library storage of any sizable nature.

SSDs are great for boot or small project editing but rotational drives still have a place! A place SSDs can not go - for the non-super-rich that is.

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password