Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              17       18       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

jhinkey wrote:
Looks like there is:
- no viewfinder cover internal to the viewfinder for long duration exposures. This is a bummer.
- no 10 pin terminal - it's USB to control the camera, bummer
- no interchangeable viewfinder - bummer
- built-in drive motor for D lenses - bummer
- No mechanical mirror lockup - bummer

So what's left to actually see is the innards of the viewfinder - will there be some magic inside? Hopefully it has:
- Changeable focusing screens
- Some kind of MF aid that is waaay better than current DSLRs
- Big image
- High eye relief
...Show more

I think you nailed it ... a Frankenstein

Not having a 10-pin is not good - though not surprising for a retro camera if the price is low
Not have MUP! No excuse for that!

But again, I'll reserve judgment on the specs for the official release of them.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I like it.. I never expected to like Nikon made camera, but this thing looks amazing. Only thing Im curious about is manual focus. Otherwise bl*dy perfect..

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:51 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I like this too. I'll probably never buy one, but it seems cool and I like retro.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:52 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Andre Labonte wrote:
So presumably going from the D600 to the DF you gain:
- Better MF
- Retro Look (I could not care less)

And you loose:
- Resolution (16 vs. 24MP) Not a big deal IMO but may be for others.
- 1/3 stop controls on shutter speed

Sounds like an interesting trade off - nope-better be the same price for essencially the same camera.

I'll have to reserve judgement until I can download a full res image. Like John said...it better have " it better be some magic inside that viewfinder".

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Pavel
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Andre ... there ARE 1/3 shutter speeds available in what looks like Aperture preferred.

Andre ... elegant design - is NOT cheaper ...than mass market production where ten part bins are used to assemble 23 variants.

I only now wait for the focus screen info. Nikon has hit this out of the park, as far as an alternative to the current status quo. I only have a few peculiar to me desires before I waste more money on yet another Digital body, when I have all I need in Film land. That is the ability to focus without the currently hideous limitations ... on the nicely small Nikon MF glass, which I have nine copies of ... and the peerless lenses that are made my Zeiss and others ... which are only available with Manual focus and are close to unusable on D800, D3's and all the lesser Nikon bodies like the 610.

Either way I'm good though. I have my D200 and D3 for cat shots. For the more serious and fun stuff, there is film. So there is either a Fd in my future ... or a new Dry plate camera. All of a sudden I hardly care.

But if this does have manual focus nirvana ... it still will be my LAST digital, well, except for iPhones. They, and 4K video cams are the future in digital - though we don't "get" it yet.

The D in DSLR ... that stands for Dinosaur ... right?

Edited on Nov 04, 2013 at 04:57 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:54 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

They still have the silly flaps down the left side of the body, covering the ports I don't think I've ever used on any camera - probably the cheesiest design flaw on the camera.

Other than that it looks interesting - although it appears to be about 30% larger than it needs to be.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:56 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Pavel wrote:
Andre ... there ARE 1/3 shutter speeds available in what looks like Aperture preferred.

Andre ... elegant design - is NOT cheaper ...than mass market production where ten part bins are used to assemble 23 variants.

I only now wait for the focus screen info. Nikon has hit this out of the park, as far as an alternative to the current status quo. I only have a few peculiar to me desires before I waste more money on yet another Digital body, when I have all I need in Film land. That is the ability to focus without the currently hideous limitations
...Show more

I'm praying for those MF abilities you mention! If it has those, I won't care WHAT the resolution is!

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:57 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Steve Huff is annoying. "This thing is large!" I thought it looked small ( not smaller ) next to the A7/r and Leica M. Not sure about some of you, but I don't see ME using zoom lenses on this thing. Nor the chubby 200/2. All my ais primes once again in my bag!

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:58 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

What I would need is the features that allow use of my manual lenses.
1. A viewfinder that will let me see to focus down to 1.2
2. Interchangeable focus screens
3. P S A M on all manual lenses, just like the FA
4. Dynamic range of the D600 even if it has less MP
5. A price that I can afford

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Pavel wrote:

I shoot my exposures 100% manual, not in A mode

All Nikon DSLRs are pretty elegant in design ... but I'm more interested in the elegantness of simple and low cost.

Edited on Nov 04, 2013 at 05:00 PM · View previous versions

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

molson wrote:
They still have the silly flaps down the left side of the body, covering the ports I don't think I've ever used on any camera - probably the cheesiest design flaw on the camera.

Other than that it looks interesting - although it appears to be about 30% larger than it needs to be.

Yeah ... they could have been a bit bolder with that design element. You are absolutely right. It makes the design more cluttered looking than it could have been and I suspect that you are not the only one who has never used those ports.

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:59 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

MDoc9523 wrote:
What I would need is the features that allow use of my manual lenses.
1. A viewfinder that will let me see to focus down to 1.2
2. Interchangeable focus screens
3. P S A M on all manual lenses, just like the FA
4. Dynamic range of the D600 even if it has less MP
5. A price that I can afford

You said it all Ray!

Nov 04, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Yes, the 1.2 focusing would be awesome. But I'd need a split screen for that.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Pavel
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I wonder if it too late to add to my AIS lens collection, or if the prices are already being updated at KEH?
I have always wanted a 35 F2.0 ... but have not gotten one yet. Nikon only makes the 35 f 1.4 which is a less attractive lens for my tastes.

The Voighlander lenses, esp the pancake lenses may be a good fit with the ethos of this body.

I however am equally excited about the prospects of a few new autofocus lenses oriented towards this body.
I would likely chose a 35 F.20 in autofocus if it was made far smaller than the current huge, but magnificent, Nikon 35 f1.4 or the sigma.

I only need a small 35 and perhaps a 85 or ninety, in Autofocus. It is nice to have, and has a place just as MF does. Wider than 35 I consider autofocus less desirable.

I've got the 24 f2.8, 28 f2.8, 50 f 1.4, 55 micro(two copies), 85 f2.0, 105 f2.5, 135 f2.8 and the 200 f4.
They only needed a body such as this!

Bought them when the buying was good and am shocked how much they have moved in price.

I think I'd get the Zeiss 18 and probably the Voighlander 40 pancake and call it done.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:11 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

caad4rep wrote:
I'm curious to see how to handles with nikon's 2.8 zooms. Is it going to be ridiculous with a 24-70 or 14-24? I wish they had a nice set of SMALL high quality primes.

The 1.8G primes should balance nicely with it, I would think.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:20 PM
jbonzo1

p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I would love a split image screen and a grip. As a pro newspaper shooter for twenty five years, I like big, bulky, heavy cameras!

Ian Boys
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Oh the 35 f2 is wonderful. I have the pre-AI and love it.

I wonder how pre-AI will work with the Df. How will it know the aperture? Or will we set the aperture then dial it in to the camera?

Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

10 pin remote and no viewfinder cover are serious bummers for me.

I may still get one in black though as I'm hoping Nikon has a few tricks yet revealed.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:23 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I can't remember, has Nikon ever come out with a camera that had some secrets to it that wasn't caught with the rumor sites prior to launch? Because I'm really hoping for some with this one.

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:28 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Now I can understand why Nikon didn't want to show you the camera in their teaser vids, because the camera looks fat and stupid like a welfare queen. I understand some may think it looks more retro than retro, more nostalgic than nostalgic. Can we really expect anything innovative from a bunch of the most ultra-conservative corporate salarymen?

Nov 04, 2013 at 05:35 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password