1       2      
       4              17       18       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

DontShoot wrote:
I kinda wish it gets the D600 sensor. D800 sensor - overkill. D4 sensor - too expensive. 24MP is just perfect, and puts it on the affordable side.

You and me both Joseph!!!

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:54 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I think it looks rather big, but am reserving judgement until I see it in someones hands properly

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:55 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

pr4photos wrote:
I think it looks rather big, but am reserving judgement until I see it in someones hands properly

Yea, I was really hoping when they first mentioned this thing that it was going to be more along the lines of the Fm2 or F3 size.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:58 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Looks like there is:
- no viewfinder cover internal to the viewfinder for long duration exposures. This is a bummer.
- no 10 pin terminal - it's USB to control the camera, bummer
- no interchangeable viewfinder - bummer
- built-in drive motor for D lenses - bummer
- No mechanical mirror lockup - bummer

So what's left to actually see is the innards of the viewfinder - will there be some magic inside? Hopefully it has:
- Changeable focusing screens
- Some kind of MF aid that is waaay better than current DSLRs
- Big image
- High eye relief for us spectacle wearers
- Better metering system (always loved the match needle meters!)
- AF sensor spread

I've referred to to this camera as being a Frankenstein - a bit from an F3, D600, D800 and D4 and it really looks like that now.

No way they can charge more than a D800 - it better be around the D600 or even less.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:01 AM
OccAeon
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

leighton w wrote:
Yea, I was really hoping when they first mentioned this thing that it was going to be more along the lines of the Fm2 or F3 size.

It looks big, plus it looks like it has a crappy grip - kind of the worst of all worlds.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:01 AM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

When did these images arrive on the scene?! No, it isn't exactly the way i would have liked or imagined it... But i do very much like the fact that it does not have a pop up flash... I don't think i have ever used mine on my d700... And i would consider epoxying it shut on my d700 if i didn't think it would be a bad idea if i ever had to have it serviced or decided to sell it... I would buy one though... Even if it has the same sensor as my D700... A camera is a tool and more often than not it's the tool using the camera that is the limiting factor! Hahah

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:07 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

First official photos. A bit chunky:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/04/image-the-nikon-df-what-do-you-think/

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:09 AM
raboof
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Those images (first two) look distorted. The Df looks great. I am not buying one though

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I am without words.

I thought home-runs didn't happen in digital parks. I was wrong.

Silver. Yeah, silver for me.

Thank god they did not overstuff the sensor with "stupid" resolution numbers like Sony marketing likes to do.
I only print to 3' by 5' max!

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
When did these images arrive on the scene?! No, it isn't exactly the way i would have liked or imagined it... But i do very much like the fact that it does not have a pop up flash... I don't think i have ever used mine on my d700... And i would consider epoxying it shut on my d700 if i didn't think it would be a bad idea if i ever had to have it serviced or decided to sell it... I would buy one though... Even if it has the same sensor as my D700... A camera is
...Show more

I used to use my D700 flash as a commander once in a while. As fill in it was useless compared to a dedicated speed light because of not doing fast page. Never did add to the solid part of the equation though ... so having it was all in all, quite a minus point for me.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Kingfishphoto wrote:
I cant seem to find the film re-wind ?

Where's the film advance lever?

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

And yes, I am fine paying more for this than the D800 if the quality is up there. Good, original product deserve a fair price. The 800 is just a 700 in half the parts, so it can be cheap. This thing obviously required complete re-tooling and that is an expensive component of manufacturing. Normally tooling is THE most expensive cost to absorb in a new product - one not assembled from the old parts bin with a new bit of silicone.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I thought that a film advance lever could be put in place and used to charge the batteries! That was at about 4 in the morning, while I was snoring!

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:26 AM
raboof
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

"- Some kind of MF aid that is waaay better than current DSLRs"

I would like that. Something like a TC-16A inside but, of course, no extra glasses added would be nice. And non-cpu register up to 30 lenses.

jhinkey wrote:
Looks like there is:
- no viewfinder cover internal to the viewfinder for long duration exposures. This is a bummer.

So what's left to actually see is the innards of the viewfinder - will there be some magic inside? Hopefully it has:
- Big image
- High eye relief
...Show more

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:28 AM
pmac1985
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

What's the obsession with the d600 sensor?
Had it had that sensor, people would have complained its just a tarted up d600.. people just love to moan.

Looks great to me and as long as it has the d4 sensor im likely to buy one as it will partner my d800 perfectly. As I wiol have the best dr and highest mp with my d800e and the best hi iso with the DF.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:30 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

This is NOT a D700 replacement because:
- No viewfinder cover for long exposures
- No 10 pin remote
- No built-in flash
- Cheesy diopter adjustment
- AF system from D600 (39pts)

There better be some magic inside that viewfinder . . .

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I have a had a few digital models in the past. Lets see. Canon D30, 10D, 20D, 1D, 1Dmk2, 5D mk 2, Nikon D2h, D2xs, D70, D80 (only for about two weeks), D200, D300, D700, D3, Leica M8, Olympus E-1, E-520 and too many micro 43 panasonic that were clones of each other ... to keep track of.

Looking at that list I think two main ideas come to mind. First ... I should seek therapy from my bank manager (which because of my digital hobby I can't afford) about frequenting, my dealer.
Secondly ... all the cameras I look back at now, when one steps back a bit, have really provided the exact same experience. It is much like arguing about having to upgrade your porch 911 again, because man of man, they have a new textured rubber on the gas pedal! Gotta have it man, my last year car has an old style gas pedal.
Well, except one camera. The Leica. That brought a wholly new experience to the shooting. The same were, if I admit the folly - clones. Expensive clones.
And now, potentially The Nikon Fd.

Gotta love choice.

Now for the details. I am anxious to find out about the focusing with MF glass.

Anyone for sure that this is legit. I don't really trust that site, he is a blowhard (imho) with a thin track record of substance over sell. Is this on nikons site? If not ... I am a lot suspicious.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

leighton w wrote:
I agree somewhat Andre, but if it's geared internally for a better MF performance, then I for one will be excited. But I'm STILL not sure I can take a step back in resolution.

So presumably going from the D600 to the DF you gain:
- Better MF
- Retro Look (I could not care less)

And you loose:
- Resolution (16 vs. 24MP) Not a big deal IMO but may be for others.
- 1/3 stop controls on shutter speed

Sounds like an interesting trade off - nope-better be the same price for essencially the same camera.

Again, I'm not interested in this case as it prices FX too high. The idea for me would be a full manual body (with the exception of WB) and retaining 1/3 stop controls. But since it's full manual, the costs would be nice and low making FX affordable for once. It would be a great compliment to my D400 ... oh, wait

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

jhinkey wrote:
This is NOT a D700 replacement because:
- No viewfinder cover for long exposures
- No 10 pin remote
- No built-in flash
- Cheesy diopter adjustment
- AF system from D600 (39pts)

There better be some magic inside that viewfinder . . .

Same diopter as on my D700's. Tilted 45 but no lock.- that makes it cheese to some I guess. Same as on the 610 but without that lousy viewfinder cover - So I guess you are right. Show-stopper!
Nikon makes these things called speedlights. No cheesy limit to basement level flash sync. You should try one.

I do however agree that I would be happy with less megapixels.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

jhinkey wrote:
Looks like there is:

- Big image
- High eye relief
...Show more

I think you nailed it ... a Frankenstein

Not having a 10-pin is not good - though not surprising for a retro camera if the price is low
Not have MUP! No excuse for that!

But again, I'll reserve judgment on the specs for the official release of them.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.