is this DPR?

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:56 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

CGrindahl wrote:
A little marketing…

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/05/joe-mcnally-lynn-goldsmith-bob-krist-shooting-nikon-df/

I took a look at these and said "ugh" - pure marketing. Give them a free camera and let them blush about it.

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:43 PM
frankpetronio
• • •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I'm 53 myself but I can't help but notice that this is one of the first higher end consumer products - other than healthcare aids - marketed to older baby boomers - look at the ages of the spokespeople - they didn't even get Chase Jarvis to prostitute himself. You would expect hipsters to want the DF but I think Nikon wisely went for the deeper pockets of the seasoned citizens.

Nov 06, 2013 at 11:59 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Also remember, there are huge deep pocket markets in Asia. I often met Asian tourists with the most expensive equipments either in the US or Europe. Even their 10 - 15 year old kids carry the most expensive equipments. So, probably Nikon targets those markets.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

M Lucca wrote:
I sure as hell hope not! Why would you want to re-use low resolution lenses? Today's sensors have far surpassed 35mm film.
This Nikon DF is answering a question that nobody asked.

I bolded that part. I give kudos to Nikon for trying something new.

Make a D700 replacement already!

And for the good of all things Nikon, answer the call for the D300s replacement already! D400 or call it whatever! Stop dilly-dallying.

A castrated dslr with old-school designs is cute but if it is no better than your entry level FF, and priced higher than the d800 it is pointless except for the superficial hipster crowd. Pure photography? I don't need more knobs and dials. Those were old designs. Poor ergonomics compared to today's cameras.

Why not bring back wind-up windows? type-writers? 3-speed manual? rotary dial phones? Commodore 64.

Yeah, I also want a D300 replacement! Get on it Nikon (but good job on trying something new)!

Nov 07, 2013 at 10:59 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

CGrindahl wrote:
A little marketing…

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/05/joe-mcnally-lynn-goldsmith-bob-krist-shooting-nikon-df/

after half dozen hedonistic videos that have aroused sufficient level of libido, Nikon's marketing strategy has become to make sure we will need to have Kosher opinions and feelings by parading three experts' opinions and feelings for the product. So that we can internalize a narrative and its associated fantasies that have been spoon fed to us since the beginning. Folks, this is not Pure(TM) Photography because this is 100% Pure psychological manipulation.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

mshi wrote:
after half dozen hedonistic videos that have aroused sufficient level of libido, Nikon's marketing strategy has become to make sure we will need to have Kosher opinions and feelings by parading three experts' opinions and feelings for the product. So that we can internalize a narrative and its associated fantasies that have been spoon fed to us since the beginning. Folks, this is not Pure(TM) Photography because this is 100% Pure psychological manipulation.

At least they've handled the camera, which is more than anyone here can say. All the anger and disappointment raging throughout the Internet is based on a spec sheet and some product shots.

Besides, non-user posters here have their own biases, even if they aren't directly funded by Nikon.

Arka C.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I took Nikon USA survey and said I'd buy Df at $1700 & I'd buy TWO D700x or D700s upgrade w/ D4 sensor for $2750.

I like Df, but not at $2750. My reinflated dollar bills get no respect from Nikon Japan, Canon Japan & Pentax Vietnam/Philippines. Try to get me to buy in 2014 by pricing gear fairly using current currency exchange trades or the Big Three can continue to sell less gear in USA for more $ as they did in 2012-2013.

I own muliple dslr branded cameras, I can wait more than another year to buy anything new from anyone who's disrepecting the value of my US Currency inhand, which I am ready to spend if I see real value.
No value=no sale.

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Arka wrote:
All the anger and disappointment raging throughout the Internet is based on a spec sheet and some product shots.

But is may be brought about by feelings that this camera really is shite.

You know, by consensus we could design 3 great cameras; covering what we need.

But no ones cares. We get compromises and bugs and some dodgy designs with corners cut.

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Vilk
• •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Paul Mo wrote:
You know, by consensus we could design 3 great cameras; covering what we need.

i hear that's how they designed the camel...

Nov 08, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Much rather spend three days on a camel than three on a horse, having done both. Way more comfortable.

Nov 08, 2013 at 07:09 AM
Vilk
• •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

okee, you may have a point on the literal reading there (not quite what the saying is about i hope )

but even not having sat on a camel yet, i will still bet my little-used Df4 that you won't reach consensus on this forum before the Df5 is out, ah-ha!

Nov 08, 2013 at 07:44 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Just realized that this camera is powered by the EN-EL14 -- that kinda sucks, as it would have been nice to have the EN-EL15 battery instead for a little more power, and longer life, plus compatibility with my other camera's.

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:24 AM
ronaldj23

p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

My God...what a beautiful camera. I will have it.

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:05 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I am surprised that the aesthetics....knobs,prism height, etc. are getting so much attention and the sensor so little. Maybe the majority read DXO but have not shot much with a D4? If you shoot any low light/available light locations, then I expect you might like this body regardless of aesthetics. Yes, I have owned the D800(e) and expect the D610 sensor is very good looking at test scores, but IMHO neither can be as good as the D4 sensor in low light. It is also interesting to read about the many virtues of Oly MFT sensor being one of the best MFT ever(and I agree). I also can jump on the band wagon about the Fuji X sensor. So while those are two very nice small footprint cameras I have owned, why isn't the Df getting gushed about a little more? I would certainly think that at base ISO and all through the spectrum that the Df will have significantly less noise than the Oly? I would certainly think that in nearly all handling applications that the Df might provide a more enjoyable user experience than the clunky Fuji? There are some nice lenses for each system and it would be hard to call Nikon lacking in this area. I guess I am just saying that a D4 sensor in a smaller form factor might be a better tool for some jobs than a lot of other "retro styled" systems out there if ultimate portability is not your primary criteria. I am thinking that a Df with a handful of f1.8 g primes would give you the ability to produce some pretty nice files in a very wide range of lighting conditions. I know for me the D4 sensor is worth the price of admission and with it I feel I will be getting a kit a little more capable than some of the current media darlings for some situations. I will have a little more bulk, but I will also have the FF DOF and low noise accross my whole ISO range. I won't have 36mp like another new comer, but I will still be able to print beautiful 16x20 prints and won't have quite the demand on technique and preperation that I feel the new Sony may ask for? Anyway, like or hate the way Nikon did retro, all my dollars ask for is to keep that D4 sensor behind some semi to fast glass and I think I will get a lot of use out of the new Df.
Just another opinion!

Nov 10, 2013 at 06:43 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Handled on yesterday, great camera, going to get one.

Nov 10, 2013 at 06:58 AM
LarryBoy57
• •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

To me there are three things that causes this camera to miss the mark. One is the 39 point auto focus. The second is the retro controls. If you are using this body along with a D700/D800, the controls are so different you may end up fumbling too much trying to set something. The third is that it uses SD cards instead of CF. Having to carry around two types for memory cards isn't very convenient.

This so could have been the D700 replacement that many, including myself, have been hoping for. Even at a couple hundred more, if it had the controls of the D700 and 51 point auto focus, it would sell by the thousands.

Larry

Nov 10, 2013 at 09:58 AM
r.gil
• • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

D.O.A.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:03 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

r.gil wrote:
D.O.A.

I decided to attempt CPR by ordering one at my local shop today. They had made the decision to not pre stock the Df, obviously questioning if there would be a market for it. I had them call the rep. to see if they could be assured to get me one on day one and they said absolutely since they really wanted at least one going to each dealer. I can see it being a body I might enjoy as the D4 sensor is one that can get the shot in a lot of challenging situations IMO. I really did like that camera. Also, since I don't find a lot of time behind a lens, being able to glance at the top dials for settings will be nice for me. Lastly, my first camera was a Nikon FE, and though I had zero idea what I was doing and the majority of the shots I took with it were poor artistically and technically, that was where my journey began and I hopefully will have those thoughts when I hold the Df. So, maybe not one of those are valid reasons to buy, but I decided they were enough for me to give it a whirl.
Wish me luck :-))
Greg

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

i received the NPS email today to pre-order. I did so and loca dealer has me at the top of the list. Whatthe heck. It does look very sexy in black

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:50 PM
1       2       3              16      
       18       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.