FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
       17       18       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

bellyface
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I'm a bit bummed that nikon has made the focusing screen the standard-issue clear matte type. that's a fail for me.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:16 PM
cialowicz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Spot-on!

AaronNegro wrote:
NIKON Interview:

Question: I see this camera uses a 16MP sensor, from the D4, so this must be a flagship sensor too.
Answer: No actually the sensors of the D610 and D800 are much better according to DxO

Q: Ah but this low res must allow this camera to shoot very fast, 10fps or better.
A: No, actually it shoots at 5.5fps slower than our D610

Q: Hmm, but it must have class leading shutter speed, 1/16000
A: No, actually it same as our entry level cameras at 1/4000

Q: Ummm, err, oh yeah, well it must have the flagship AF system right
A: No, actually it has
...Show more

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:23 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

I think this looks gorgeous. Bet it feels a bit like the Olympus OM series in your hand. Let's see how it performs...

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:11 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Looks intriguing.... Even from a canon shooter perspective such as myself

Could be a real fun travel camera with a nice 35mm attached

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:03 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

well that's NOT spot on...this isn't supposed to be a replacement of any Nikon DSLR itsd an addition,so that being said DxO crap is irrelevant to its purpose,I hope Canon does an F-1 version that takes old FD mount lenses...

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:14 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

btw I think this is the BEST looking DSLR ever made...so there

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:15 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

The consensus seems to be we all want to buy a new body from Nikon. Just not this one!

The sad part is that I don't think they needed to do a lot more to satisfy some people.

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:08 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

davewolfs wrote:
The consensus seems to be we all want to buy a new body from Nikon. Just not this one!

Now where is that d400!

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:14 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

digitalbug30d wrote:
I hope Canon does an F-1 version that takes old FD mount lenses...

See, that's the strange thing. When Canon walked away from FD, the break was clean. They never looked back and didn't care who they pissed off.

Nikon consciously maintained backward compatibility to AI (1977) and with the Df, to pre-AI (1959) but with the advent of digital, never any serious way to reliably focus them properly. Very schizophrenic. Truth is, most of these lenses are not in the same league of the 'moderns'. A handful of exceptions come to mind but because of their quirks or uniqueness; 8/2.8 FE, 16/3.5 FE, 28/2.8 AIS, perhaps 35/1.4 AIS, 50/2, 50/1.8 AIS, 50/1.2, the NOCT, 105/2.5, 105/4 UV, perhaps 180/2.8 ED, 200/2 AIS, 300/2 AI and most of the longer, fast tele AIS.

Nov 05, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.16 #10 · p.16 #10 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

r.gil wrote:
Hey Pavel
Have you seen the new mirrorless cameras from Fuji or Sony?
Full frame mirrorless is the future of photography and not this monstrosity that Nikon has unveiled just now
Cheers

I've had seven mirror less bodies so far. I agree that much of the future is in mirrorless, especially for those who like to shoot video and want nice small lenses. I find much frustrating in mirrorless though at the same time as enjoying the benefits. I don't really like the fly by wire focusing because I do a bit of zone focusing, and I just like a hard stop at infinity. The viewfinders are getting pretty good but still could use a few years of progress. Ditto focus tracking, but I hardly care for that at all. I won't go to sony because I don't find the lens set appealing. I value different details than Sony seems to be focusing on, so again it is a personal thing. Fuji ... well that is the camera brand that I would say is my favorite, and the company seems to be going in a direction I really like. Lastly though (and I have not shot Sony, nor will I, and I haven't gotten my hands on a Fuji model yet) I have found all the Olympus and Pani models have a shutter lag that bugs me. It isn't a big deal in reality, it is just something I get a lot of satisfaction from ... instant shutter response.

So, yeah - mirrorless is a great concept and will be very prominent but will not replace the SLR. Both have a place and always will. Video cameras when they hit 4K ... may completely wipe out photography as we know it I think, among pros ... I hope not.

However, for my dollars, I'd be more likely to do without my two mirrorless than without a Nikon cam. In five years? Who knows. I no longer do this as a full time salaried job - so it is pure fun. That means that I just could go and buy a D70 and get all I need out of the hobby. Like cars however, there are emotional aspects to a purchase. The Fd has me there. I "get" those ergonomics and know it would bring more of a state of zen shooting an Fd, versus all the other models. That is important enough when it is a hobby, that not much else is a major factor.

And besides ... this is photography - The world won't stop spinning if we buy one brand vs another.

Nov 05, 2013 at 11:41 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.16 #11 · p.16 #11 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

This... As a fairly new Nikon owner [D800e] and with a foot still in the Canon camp [5D2 and 5D3 and IR T3i] and as a retro-esque Fuji X100 owner, I was hoping Nikon would really step up and give us a small retro mirror-less with great features and a class leading sensor. I was all set to continue my slow migration to Nikon-world but this cam certainly isn't gonna do it - especially at this price point. Ah well.

If I had to guess which camera manufacturer will get my money next, it'd be Sony given the direction they're taking their products. An A7r with a bit more functionality would rock.

AaronNegro wrote:
I think one of the posters in dpreview said it right:

I recognize I loled it. Kudos for him.

NIKON Interview:

Question: I see this camera uses a 16MP sensor, from the D4, so this must be a flagship sensor too.
Answer: No actually the sensors of the D610 and D800 are much better according to DxO
Q: Ah but this low res must allow this camera to shoot very fast, 10fps or better.
A: No, actually it shoots at 5.5fps slower than our D610
Q: Hmm, but it must have class leading shutter speed, 1/16000
A: No, actually it same as our entry level cameras at 1/4000
Q:
...Show more

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:22 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.16 #12 · p.16 #12 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

digitalbug30d wrote:
well that's NOT spot on...this isn't supposed to be a replacement of any Nikon DSLR itsd an addition,so that being said DxO crap is irrelevant to its purpose,I hope Canon does an F-1 version that takes old FD mount lenses...

I sure as hell hope not! Why would you want to re-use low resolution lenses? Today's sensors have far surpassed 35mm film.
This Nikon DF is answering a question that nobody asked.

Make a D700 replacement already!

And for the good of all things Nikon, answer the call for the D300s replacement already! D400 or call it whatever! Stop dilly-dallying.

A castrated dslr with old-school designs is cute but if it is no better than your entry level FF, and priced higher than the d800 it is pointless except for the superficial hipster crowd. Pure photography? I don't need more knobs and dials. Those were old designs. Poor ergonomics compared to today's cameras.

Why not bring back wind-up windows? type-writers? 3-speed manual? rotary dial phones? Commodore 64.

Nov 06, 2013 at 02:35 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.16 #13 · p.16 #13 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

new isnt the end all be all...I like the Nikon for what it is,of which is tribute to a classic design used by so many film users,it doesn't have to be an everything camera to do this,I hope Canon does an F-1 with FD lenses<I was being serious it can use a focus system akin the Canon AL-1 modernized

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:22 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.16 #14 · p.16 #14 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

It doesn't look like a tribute to me. My F3 is much more elegant. This thing is really cluttered. They could have simplified the look much more and then people would might like it more

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.16 #15 · p.16 #15 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

pr4photos wrote:
This thing is really cluttered. They could have simplified the look much more and then people would might like it more

Yeah - I think it looks awful.

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:35 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.16 #16 · p.16 #16 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Andre Labonte wrote:
Hi Josh,

I beg to differ. And $1000 is in the low end of the range I provided. The point is a full manual D600 body could be made for significantly less than the current D600. Remeber that part of the full manual body includes making it a 1-shutter push = 1 frame camera, so there is no continuos shooting either.

But I don not think it unrealistic to see a full manual camera for significantly less than the $2000 they want for the D600. Maybe the # for the price is not $1000, but $1200 or $1500 (TOPS).

A simpler
...Show more

Andre,

I realize that simplification can cut costs, but what you're not taking in to account it that you have to build new parts that are simple. There are no simple parts in the Nikon part bin. You can't just simplify current parts. It doesn't work that way in mechanical manufacturing. For any manufacturer, volume is the key to reducing per unit cost. And Nikon would never, ever sell enough all manual, 1fps FX bodies to justify the development costs of all the new simple parts it would require. We'll have to agree to disagree.

One the other hand, I am with you, where is that D400?

Josh

Nov 06, 2013 at 09:38 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.16 #17 · p.16 #17 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

The more I look at the df the more it grows on me. First impressions were 'damn thats ugly'. The Sony A7 by contrast is clean, tidy and looks great. But the more I look at the df the more I think I get it.

Sadly, I realise that my reasoning for wanting this camera is purely an emotional response due to it's retro style. It wont do anything for me that my D4, D800 or X100s doesn't do right now, in fact the D4 trumps it completely of course. However, if the df and D4 are sitting on my coffee table and I'm heading out, I already know which one I'd pick up, every time without fail.

So, regardless of the reason for lusting after a new camera like the df, or A7, or whatever, if it appeals to the heart and makes you want to take pictures with it, then surely thats a good enough reason.

Damn, I've even considered trading the D4 and buying the df. I don't really need 10 fps and they share the same sensor so I already know and love the IQ that will come from the df. I'd even have a shed load of cash left over too which would be nice, and the df would get used a lot more than the D4 does. Or, trade the D800 and X100s and keep the D4 for serious bits and have the df as the everyday shooter or D4 backup on assignment. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

In summary, isn't it amazing how something can have such an emotive reaction in us. A good friend gave me some interesting advice today.... 'if your heart says you want something that badly you should just go and buy it, even if you don't need it, otherwise you wont be happy'. I like that advice, now to find £2750.

Nov 06, 2013 at 10:44 AM
snegron
• • • •
p.16 #18 · p.16 #18 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

digitalbug30d wrote:

That would be nice, but Nikon was known as the king of 35mm though.

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.16 #19 · p.16 #19 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

A little marketing…

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/05/joe-mcnally-lynn-goldsmith-bob-krist-shooting-nikon-df/

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:51 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.16 #20 · p.16 #20 · Official: Nikon Df DSLR Camera Announced

Curtis,
Yes, it is marketing, but it rings true to me. I think many people forget that most photographers resisted going digital for many years. They just didn't like the format, equipment, and initially the image quality. For years I was the only photog shooting digital at the newspaper I worked at. The AP NC2000 size was huge compared to my FM, and two F3HPs. I shot the AP NC2000 and the three film bodies from 1994-2001. They had different uses...color, high iso, black and white, and lower resolution for the digital. I also think that using the Nikon N90 film body on that first ever professional digital camera (the AP NC2000) was a huge mistake. I had beta tested prototype cameras for both Nikon and Kodak who were collaborating with the Associated Press (who wrote the software or acquire plugin) from 1992-1994. During that time the Nikon film bodies used were beefier...so when the plastic N90 was used for the final model...I was surprised. It put a lot of pros off, because the N90 wasn't considered a professional camera. However, I was highly motivated to get out of the darkroom on Thursdays...which was my main printing day. IF the initial roll out of digital had been in a body like the Df...it would have been the hottest thing ever! The very things I complained about in written reports...size and the crop factor are not issues anymore. It is an emotional attachment, and there are thousands of photogs that will get it. It is a very strong connection to the tools we learned to use. I'm surprised at all the cynicism, and negativity.

CGrindahl wrote:
A little marketing…

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/05/joe-mcnally-lynn-goldsmith-bob-krist-shooting-nikon-df/

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:53 PM
       17       18       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

17       18       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.